on 3 April 2014
The succubus fangirl in me is going happy-go-lucky. A coming of age story for a succubus, one of my favorite supernatural creatures of all time? Yes please! And amazingly enough this book does not disappoint. I meant to savour it, to draw out the pages and enjoy for as long as I could. Instead I tore through it in two sittings without being able to put it down.

Every once in a while I really want to buy the books that are self-published, first time novels, yet to reach the shelves in your local bookstore. I like the idea of supporting aspiring authors in their way to writers heaven. But sadly sometimes those shiny new books are rushed to the printing press before they are ready. This is not one of those books. Ignore the blurb, it makes it sound so much more teen-y than it is.

I would like to draw your attention to the cover. It is a good cover but there are others like it. I thought it was nice enough when I bought the book but it should not be that special. But when you hit the exact scene in the book from which the cover is, it blows you away. Suddenly the girl looks magical, having that Cinderella effect and everything.

For a first time author, Jennifer Quintenz, I salute you. I truly hope that you are going places (hopefully places where one writes many many books). The writing style is so smooth, yet gripping. Add some good characters, well-paced story and you have something that I like. No, not like. Love.

As I mentioned before I loves succubus stories. In this case named after Lilith and called Lilitu. And there really has not been a story which gives us first-hand insight into what it feels like to become one of the seductive demonesses. This story was paced perfectly, being very exciting and yet easing you into it when needed. I do not want to spoil because everyone deserves the awe of this book. I will drop the ditbit that I think it is wonderful that the part of mythology where succubi visit men in their dreams is not left out. And that they are, in fact, demons.

Braedyn is a sweet girl, easy to identify with. But as she progresses and grows into being a Lilitu while still being part of the Guard is amazing. She is not written as too perfect, she makes mistakes, stumbles and that's what makes her loveable. Plus while she is the "loner", she is not a whiny character, which is not easy to write. Lucas is the male interest in this book, he has solid reason for doing what he does and he stays true to why he became part of the Guard. It’s what makes him a good character. Definitely not your typical, shallowly written lover boy. But my favorites are Braedyns father and Thane. It is so lovely to have such deep side characters. Their stories were just as compelling as Breadyns.

As you can tell I am over the moon with this book and will be ordering the second book as soon as I have money for it. (which has to be after Christmas. Really, who thought gift-giving was more fun than receiving them. But sadly so much more expensive). So no surprise that “Thrall” gets full five stars and the highest recommendations I can give.

---

The review is also on my blog:
[...]
on 2 June 2015
I got this book on May 31st off amazon because it was free at the time. I was instantly pulled to the cover, oo that looks interesting I thought, I must admit though I didn't even read the blurb, the top review on amazon was someone saying something about succubus, (I love Lost Girl so I thought why not!) I also got 5 other freebies with it, yesterday I needed a book to take my mind of some stuff, I knew exactly that this would be the one I wanted to get stuck in to and boy was this the one for the job!

I read this book yesterday in one sitting, only stopping because I HAD to make dinner.

I thought the storyline was great, it was very fast moving and full of action, upon first reading I kinda felt like this book was everything that the Mortal Instruments film had tried to be, it was good, so soo good. I loved the characters, her best friends Cassie and Royal. I loved the sweet relationship between Braedyn and Lucas, I would of liked to have seen her more mad at Murphy when she found out his secret but otherwise I thought this book was perfect in every way. The storyline flowed effortlessly, Jennifer has such a great writing talent, as soon as I finished this book I brought book 2 right away I just had to finish, I even made two of my friends go and get the book after I had finished this book as well haha

All in all 5 our of 5 stars, and I can't wait to finish the series
review image
on 20 December 2014
I came to this book by accident; I found it on one of those website that point you towards free e-books of the day. It sounded interesting enough and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed at all. I really loved the story, the characters and the writing. OK, so at times I was thinking that some of the vocabulary was mighty heavy for a teenager but it didn't make it feel less real.

The best recommendation I can give? After reading the freebie first volume, I went to buy the second and third volume and am still enjoying them as much as the first.

Give it a shot - I bet you won't be disappointed.
on 4 March 2014
Thrall was a great start to the ‘Daughters of Lilith’ series, I also think the synopsis is spot on so straight to my thoughts….
I thought Thrall was a great read, it was also very original in its take on Succubae. I liked Braedyn’s character, in the beginning she is very much a wallflower, trying to blend into the background and stay unnoticed due to bullying in middle school but when she hits her 16th birthday things change in a big way. This brings about a new confidence in Braedyn but not only that, she goes through some life altering changes, trains and becomes not only more confident but more capable in everything and I liked the changes. I really liked her connection to Lucas which also comes as her life changes but this brought with it some sweetness & even hope to our character when everything else seemed so bleak, they were a good coupling and you really route for them as they come up against obstacles that would tear them apart….I really want more from them.
As I said, I thought the content was very original and yes I mentioned Succubae but these aren’t the usual and there is a whole otherworldly feel to these. I liked what background we got about them, what their aims were and I like how they use their prey and considering they’re the bad guys or girls as the case may be we need a good strong opposition…which we got in the form of The Guard, an army of people who know about the Lilutu and will stop at nothing to rid the earth of the soul sucking demons. The Guard are brutal, hard & unforgiving which doesn’t bode well for their enemies and just because Braedyn can be an asset to them, doesn’t mean she’s going to get an easy ride. I liked these a lot, I liked what they stood for, what their plans were, how they went about putting that into action and indeed the consequences of previous plans, they were very realistic and as I said – brutal. Braedyn is definitely in for an eye opener here because there are a good few secrets being kept and the reveals were really good. So if you’re after a great read, filled with secrets, lies, big revelations, action, intrigue, first love & a nice dose of the supernatural… look no further than this fresh & exciting story.
on 11 November 2013
Braedyn's life is turned upside down and sideways in this creative coming of age story. The Guard, a Special Forces group of human soldiers, thinks they have found a way to combat a coming war with the Lilitu, who are trying to break down the wall between the two worlds to take over earth. As Braedyn's birthday approaches, she learns she is not who she thinks she was all these years growing up and neither is her father. This story examines nature verses nurture in an interesting thought provoking way as we experience life through Braedyn's eyes.

I found the story compelling and my suspension of disbelief was easy to achieve. Ms. Quintenz did an excellent job conveying the high school tension between certain cliques in and out of school. Her characters were well rounded and the situations they found themselves in were realistic for the most part. This story has the potential for being an intriguing series. I hope the sequels will spend more time with Karayan. She had a disturbing upbringing and I hope that Braedyn can help her work through issues caused by that. There is potential for a mutually beneficial relationship between these two I would love to see explored.

There was a lot of high stakes action as the winter solstice moves closer and the Lilitu converge on the town turning young men into Thralls to build an army to battle the Guard on this side of the Wall. When a new unit of Guards and spotters converge, chaos ensues and Braendyn is put to the test to prove whose side she is really on. Will Braedyn's humanity be enough to over-power her genetics? Only time will tell in this original, action-packed series.

There are a few proofing issues, not enough to significantly impact my reading enjoyment.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. ** August 19, 2013
on 29 December 2014
This book always got back to me. I purchased it before a flight and thought it's going to be an ok read for the journey, but it wasn't! Purely stunning, very new and different with the main character being one of the bad guys.
The story is quick tho, many things could go with better explanations or more background - but hey that's just me.
Very nice book, recommended!
on 2 May 2016
OMFG this book is amazing, I loved this book so much and I cannot wait to read more of this world!! This is the first book I have read by this author and I am so so glad that I came across her work as her writing style is so warm and draws you into the story, the way this book is written it's like a movie playing in your head, it's so vivid.
The characters are so well rounded and there are so many different personalities, but not so you get confused. The way the story unfolds and the characters grow throughout the book is great to read, giving you so many different emotions which in my opinion shows a world class author when you "feel" the book rather than just reading a story. Normally after reading a book I have a clear view of who my favourite characters are but I simply can't choose with this book, I like them all

This book is a must read and I seriously cannot rave about it enough. Amazing book and mega talented author
on 26 May 2015
Enjoyed the first book so much, I downloaded and read the next two!
With so many paranormal young adult books on the market, you know that it is quite something to find one which isn't all about sex. And trust me I totally understand the irony there when you are talking about a series which is about a coming of age story for a succubus. I mean surely succubus' are all about sex??!!
Well no, Jennifer Quintenz has taken the story and added lovely twists and turns which relate more to how teenagers manage their relationships, handle scenarios which are not black or white, their families and their loyalties.
Perhaps the best thing about this book is that I feel it could be read by my 14 year old, without being to risqué.
So congratulations to the author for writing a book with a strong female lead as well as keeping this adult interested in the material.
on 14 September 2015
I read this after it was recommended by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. It was very fast paced and although some details were vague, others were incredibly described and you were taken on a ride with the characters. I really felt for the main character and almost cried at one point of the book. Definitely a must read, with a very unique story and interesting characters. Would recommend to others.
on 6 July 2015
A vibrant page turner of a book. Thrall is the young adult fantasy genre done well. The author took the time to flesh out all the supporting characters to bring the story to life. It's refreshing to read a YA book where the main character's friends and antagonists are not just one dimensional stereotypes. Main girl's friends have character, depth and complexity in spades as does main girl herself.