5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing to come out of TOWIE

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, but not brilliant
Published 19 months ago by Sweet Chestnut

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, but not brilliant, 13 Jan 2013
I bought this for my mum who lived in the east end until she was 8 years old, older than Nanny Pat but still very much on the ball. Sadly this book didn't quite come up to expectations as dates and facts were incorrect - the out break of war was not 1st September - other details, which granted were small, were also incorrect and so for her the book a disappointment. Had attention to detail and the writing style been better this book would have benefitted greatly and made a far better read than it actually was.

3.0 out of 5 stars COULD DO BETTER, 16 April 2013
Whilst I knew this was ghost-written, and the style is very readable and catches the 'voice' of Nanny Pat "and what 'ave you", my big disappointment is that she was as dull a young woman as she is an old one!! Her downtrodden East End youth isn't very bad, and her lack of ambition and complacency with 'just settling' for 'what 'ave you' wasn't even sad enough to lift the apathy levels.

3.0 out of 5 stars wakey wakey, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Penny Sweets and Cobbled Streets: My East End Childhood (Kindle Edition)
certainly a book for bed time as you nod off a bit quick sorry not my cuppa tea at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing to come out of TOWIE, 20 Aug 2012
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
An absolute gem of a book. Nanny Pat has always been one of the best things about The Only Way Is Essex, I think she's fantastic and when I heard she had a book out I knew I had to read it. Especially as it's about something I've loved reading about since I was a child: war, evacuation and 'old' London. I've loved reading about the war ever since watching Goodnight Mister Tom in junior school and my creative writing at that time almost always concerned the war and evacuation. However war and evacuation is only a small part of Pat's book but it was still nice (for want of a better word) to read about it. Especially reading about balloons that hung above London to try and trap the planes, I've read many family saga books set around the war but have never heard of these balloons.

This wasn't like reading a book, it was almost like Nanny Pat was reading it aloud to you. You could certainly imagine her saying the words anyway. I'm sure most people lucky enough to know their grandparents when they were younger and growing up loved hearing their old stories about how they used to live, work etc. My grandparents are still telling me stories I haven't heard even now, 22 years after I was born and I love listening to them. Even the stories they've told me numerous times before. And that's what this book is like, sitting down with your nan and grandad and being told some fantastic stories about days gone by.

And some of the stories Pat has to tell are great. She mentioned the Kray twins in the book but is saving that for her next book! But she did tell some fantastic stories, such as her mother (and indeed a lot of people at that time) stealing sweets from the factory she worked in and hiding them in her turban so the people searching her didn't find them; about her evacuation and how she wasn't actually away that long till her mum brought her home; how she got sacked from her job for stealing perfume, echoing her mother's days at work; how they would 'steal' from roads so they could keep the fire burning in their homes (much like Alan Sugar described in What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography; how she thought she was pregnant after her boyfriend kissed her and touched her bum and how, when her boyfriend couldn't make it home in bad weather her dad reluctantly let him stay in his bed, with him! So he could make sure no funny business went on.

An absolutely fantastic read. Nanny Pat is one of the best things to come out of TOWIE, and this book is a must read for anyone with an interest in reading about the old East End.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed I've finished. Can't wait for next book in February., 8 Nov 2012
If you enjoy books like Call The Midwife and Bread Jam and a Borrowed Pram you will love this. Nanny Pat gives an account of her life in a way that makes you feel as though you were there with her. I'm disappointed her next book isn't released until February. I honestly couldn't put it down.
One of the better books I've read on this theme ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that so far, 4 July 2014
I have only just started reading this but its really good. I love nanny pat in TOWIE which is what prompted me to buy it but its great to learn so much about the war and what life was like as a child, being evacuated and having bombs coming down around you. I can't wait to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tipical londoner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 30 May 2014
Fanstatic story from the first page to the last, it takes be back to the stories my grandparents told me when i was a child when they lived in the east end . Hope the next book is just as enjoyable to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nanny Pat., 28 May 2014
Loved it. Just like things used to be. Why oh why don't people look after the old people liked they used to do. So many experiences and memories. Maybe if people listened a bit more there wouldn't be so many lonely people.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit pedantic, 23 May 2014
Very simple style , telling a very simple story. I did finish it but it didn't grab me and force me to read it in one go. An OK book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 19 May 2014
This book could have been much more interesting if it had personality and Pat could remember dates and names Tec. Very disappointing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›