5.0 out of 5 stars Once more, with feeling
Zero Point, Neal Asher, 564pp, 2013/2012

This is the second instalment of the ‘Owner’ sequence of novels. These are set on a near-future Earth where the European Union bureaucracy has spread out and taken over the world, stifling creativity, allowing the population to grow to 18 billion, and establishing itself as the ruling elite in the worst...
Published on 18 May 2013 by Squirr-el

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not as good as his Polity books
The characters in this series just seem 2 dimensional, not a patch on the splatterjay books I can only hope the next book in the series really ramps up the characterisation
Published on 17 Mar. 2013 by Simon morley

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Still getting better, 6 Dec. 2012
M. Jowers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed most of Neal Asher's work and this delivered as expected. This book easily rates 4 stars, falling just short of 5. The characters face interesting moral choices and they act and think in ways that should make the reader question some of their own automatic reactions. However, like the previous novel in the trilogy, not for those with a rigid mindset. The dangers of extremism are well explored and highlighted (yes, even left-wing extremism is dangerous!), so if this offends you, best look elsewhere (try Iain Banks if you prefer your villians to be uniformly right wing). Also, as is usual with Asher, plenty of guts and gore around in this well plotted fast paced sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi series, 18 Jun. 2015
Great sci-fi series

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
extremely good book

4.0 out of 5 stars Marquis de Sade goes Sci-Fi, 7 Mar. 2014
M Rabson "MartinR" (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
The first book in the series I enjoyed very much, the world Asher portrays is vivid and although dark quite fascinating and I felt myself shuddering at how I could imagine it becoming reality.
Much the same for book two, but descriptions of all the killing and torture was just to detailed and upsetting for my sensitive soul and found myself skipping through these events, didn't effect my enjoyment of the book as a whole, so I look forward to book three...
Loved the Sci-Fi aspect, disliked the suffering and torture

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....a continuation of Part One, 13 Aug. 2012
First of all let me say in general I'm a big fan of Neal Asher's books. I've read everything, the Cormac novels, the short stories, Gabbleducks galore, Sniper getting feisty....so this review is in context with the rest of Neal's output.

Unfortunately I just don't get this series - I purchased part one, struggled through it, if I'm honest hated it but when part two came out I thought I owed it another chance - and at nearly a tenner for the Kindle version this isn't a cheap option for a second try.

For me, the same problems of the first novel are all too obvious in this one. I've got to around 40% of the way through and I'm finding excuses to not read any further - even the view out of the train window on my morning commute is winning the battle over this book.

The characters are almost uniformly unlikeable, and I haven't managed to connect with them in any way. The plot skips from one location, one thread, to another with no real pattern emerging and the writing is so far off from other Asher books it really does make me wonder if this has been written by the same person.

To give a couple of examples, in one section we are introduced to a couple of covert agents who have stowed away on Argus station. The male is named 'Alex' but we also find that his 'secret' name is 'Alex 1'...hmmm...not a great deal of effort picking 'secret' names there...
In another paragraph we hear that half of some resources have been allocated to a task, and nearly 50% of something else to another.....so that's half of both then isn't it?

Taken out of context these might not seem too big a deal, but there are so many passages like this where the writing jars you out of the universe that Asher is trying to create. I could list several others but don't want to give away spoilers to those people reading this that are still enjoying the book.

I'm afraid I won't be purchasing the last installment of this series and hope that Neal recovers his form for whatever comes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Oct. 2014
Good read Neal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Dec. 2014
very good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Asher comes of age, 28 Nov. 2013
Plenty of reviews so I won't dwell on this other than to say for me this is Asher's best book to date bar none. No doubting it's pretty bleak and I wonder whether it sets a world record for body count, but it's also compelling. I found the beginning of each chapter where Asher fills us in on how the world came to be this way as interesting as the story itself, a first for me I'm sure. Excellent work.

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping and slightly silly space-cyborg-genocide story, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I like Neal Asher's other books series. This book series has a nice fast moving plot. It has space ships, battles, cyborgs, non-Einsteinian physics, guns, robots and generally other Neal Asher things. It may not be great prose, but it is easy to read, has strong leading characters, plots and a few subplots. If you like big (and a touch silly) sci-fi this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Mar. 2015
great sci-fi

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Zero Point (Owner Trilogy Book 2)