5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down
Published 7 months ago by Peter Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing
There's perfectly decent writing. There's interesting use of thieves cant. There's an intriguing setup of thieves in a fantasy middle east. There's a 'western' thief lord trying to stay afloat in a foreign sea.

Published 4 months ago by MR

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing, 4 Aug 2014
MR "dastardlyknave" (STAINES, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

But, the protagonist manages to fail at pretty much everything, and when he succeeds it's by luck rather than good judgement, cunning or anything else a thief lord should be displaying.

Also, this book suffers from being from the point of view of a character who, though vital to the plot, is peripheral to it. And, personally I didn't find that plot all that engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I really can't express how much I enjoyed reading this - There isn't much that'll keep my eyes open after 11 these days, but this book had me awake until the early hours every night! I picked it up not really remembering why it was on my wish list (it'd been a pretty long time since I read the first book in this series), and have read it in every spare minute I could find since.

Loved the characters and the writing style (biting my nails in suspense one minute, and then grinning ear to ear the next) which kept me guessing, never quite sure what Drothe was going to do next.

Out of all the fantasy books I've read in the last few years, Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series stood out more than any others (for me) by far - Until I read this. Whatever it was that appealed to me so much before about Broken Empire is in here too.

I can't wait for the next one.

Get writing Douglas!!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, hard to put down once started, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
One of the best story lines that has been around for years, only problem for me is the wait between books being published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy at its best., 25 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
The second book in the series has not disappointed. It has a slow start but then the action gets going and you are hooked.

This series has all the elements that I love - intrigue, fighting, strong females and magic. There are plot twists, plot twists and plot twists. Very clever but in a down to earth way.

Looking forward to the next book but not sure how long I will have to wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I found it as enjoyable as Among Thieves. Well written and clips along at a steady pace. If you enjoyed the first book, this one won't dissapoint

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
excellent read, well structured, fast paced - enjoyed this book as much as the first one, it's one that I'll keep reading again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars a very good read, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this very much, and read it quickly, but I thought it slightly less good than Among Thieves as I was a little frustrated by some plot points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of a great series, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This book continued the excellent story that started with Among Thieves and leaves the author plenty of room to draw us into this world again and again.

The quality of the writing is very good and the characters, although mostly "Bad Guys", engage your sympathy and affection.

It is so different so see a fantasy novel view its's world from street level rather than from the thrones and palaces. I enjoyed this book thoroughly and am waiting for the next one with baited breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Fantasy Fiction., 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I first read Book 1 many months ago, so long ago that I had to re-read some of it to get back up to speed before reading this. Anyway, I am so glad that I did because it bought the whole thing together and made this book even more enjoyable. This really is excellent fantasy fiction and in my view its up there with the very best, its exciting, has great characters and a unique story-line. A truly great read and very hard to put down once you've started.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Sep 2014
Fireball 61 (Moray, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
After recently reading 2 excellent books, i found this one to be a plodding dialogue and the characters from the first book seem to have become diluted and seem to have lost their way. The story was pedestrian with a lot of talk and little action, so much so that i quickly scanned pages and was still able to stay with the story. I lost interest and the book became a chore to wade through & a big dissapointment

Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin Book 2)