4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but great?
If you haven't heard of Mario, you have been seriously deprived or living as a caveman for the past 25, or so, years.
I don't need to mention the story, because you already know it.
Obviously, Mario is not a game about dramatic plot twists and epic story lines.
But, it is damn fun and has kept Nintendo in business (as well as Zelda and Prof. Layton).
I...
Published on 25 Aug 2012 by Alex Lay

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Super Mario Bros.
Published 17 months ago by Mr S. Anthony

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but great?, 25 Aug 2012
Alex Lay "Alex" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I don't need to mention the story, because you already know it.
Obviously, Mario is not a game about dramatic plot twists and epic story lines.
I don't know how long they can keep doing what they do.
Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Super Mario Bros. etc... On each console.
But for now, it works and it keeps me buying their stuff.
On a side note, I also have an Xbox 360.

Anyway.. The game is good, but nothing you've not already seen.
Anyone who likes Mario should like this, but some may find it disappointing because there's nothing really 'new' about it.
A lot of reviews already point out the problems with the game, so here's a summary:

- It's pretty short, depending on how you play the game
- Still has no online co-op/multiplayer. Nintendo are lagging behind with this, always
- You have FAR TOO MANY lives and don't have the worry of seeing a game-over screen, which can make gamers feel determined to carry on playing
- It seems like Nintendo have tried too hard to make a game easy enough for kids
- The boss battles are pretty much a joke to be honest
- Toad houses offer nearly nothing... Apart from power ups you easily get during levels, and More damn lives!
- The coin thing is a bit ridiculous. The new powers ups are fairly fun, I suppose, but is it worth trying to find 1 million coins? I personally don't know the 'reward' for doing this, apart from wasting some precious time
- The 3D is rubbish and you end up turning it off. After Super Mario 3D land, this is very disappointing.

The good though:

- It is Mario, and you can always count on the Mario games being fun
- The colours and overall presentation of the game is very nice
- It may be predictable, but the game is still very fun
- It's another game that makes the 3DS worth getting
- The game does have some replay value. It has that arcade feel to it. Those that enjoy going for time trials, or collecting as much coins as possible will enjoy this the most.

Overall, it is a good game.
Not great though.
For someone who is deciding between games, and has little money, definitely play Super Mario 3D land over this.
If you've always enjoyed Mario games, that won't stop here.

Happy plumbing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Super Mario Bros., 19 April 2013
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed, 'New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)' for the Nintendo DS. The single player is good fun, with the familiar gameplay that is seen throughout similar past games in this series. However, this was the first time 3D and 2D elements were used in the series, which made it stand out more. It also has a fantastic multiplayer element to it, featuring a wide variety of fun mini-games, with the addition of a two-player Mario Vs. Luigi game, where players need to collect the most amount of stars in a given time limit across a selection of levels.

'New Super Mario Bros: 2' for the Nintendo 3DS is a step backwards. The gameplay stays the same, which I suppose is to be expected but for me, I wanted something more. Something that I could say, "Yes, this is an improvement on the first game." However, this never came through. There is no multiplayer section, no fun mini-games to play with friends; just a single player coin rush mode - which to obtain additional courses you mostly have to purchase them separately! If you've spent thirty pounds on a game, then I believe you should not have to purchase additional content that could have easily been put on the game, when it was first released.

I recommend renting this game, and if you want a better experience then I can highly recommend, 'New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)' for the Nintendo DS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a disappointment, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
(DISCLAIMER: This review was originally posted in 2012, but got deleted somehow. This is a repost of my review that I wrote on Amazon from back when this game came out.)

Super Mario: the name alone sends shivers of joy down gamers spines. Nintendo, in it’s long and interesting history, has never made a bad Mario game. Each entry into the franchise brings new, intuitive and original ideas; implements them flawlessly and crafts a platforming masterpiece, whilst still retaining that classic, untampered touch to the Super Mario formula that we all know and love.

After treating gamers with the brilliant ‘Super Mario: 3D Land’ in the November of 2011, less than a year later Nintendo announced another Mario game releasing in the summer of 2012. When the first screenshots were leaked, gamers wet their pants. “a side scrolling Mario game for the 3DS? AND the inclusion of the raccoon suit?!” It seemed too good for a full scepticism of any sort.

Alas it was true. A triumphant return to classic 2D Mario platforming was the way to go. Getting my hands on a copy the day it came out was incredible..no, in fact, words couldn’t describe my excitement. The yellow case, the funky cover, I was all over it. That was, until I got home and played it. Or, should I say, completed it.

My disappointment far outweighed my love for the Mario series. Simply put, as a platformer, it was solid fun, as a Mario game however, it was stale, underdeveloped, unengaging and far too easy. Allow me to explain.

The story is the usual. Bowser kidnaps peach, Mario goes out to save her. End of.

The gameplay is where most of my problems kick in: it’s standard Mario; run to the end of the level while overcoming obstacles, fighting bowser’s kids in the castle and fortress stages. While I have nothing wrong with this style of gameplay, ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ lacks any new ideas and/or gameplay mechanics to keep the experience feeling fresh and new. To the point that the whole thing feels repetitive, which no other Mario to date has been. In fact, back before it was released, most of the excitement was fuelled by the prospect of the raccoon Mario making a full return as opposed to a half-arsed version seen in ‘3D Land’. What I mean by this is that it is possible to once again fly as the raccoon like in ‘Mario 3’ instead of just hovering.

The sad reality is that the only thing to really look forward to is the raccoon suit, which in itself is not a new idea. Don’t get me wrong, I like it when retro throwbacks are there to surprise you, but not when it’s the only thing to do so. Even ‘New Super Mario bros. Wii’ had new and exciting power ups and level designs while still having that retro touch (the inclusion of Yoshi being a prime example) that we all love.

Even the music tracks in ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ are taken straight out of ‘3D Land’ and ‘New Super Mario bros. Wii’. Some original tracks would’ve been nice, but alas, it was a missed opportunity.

In terms of presentation, the game looks fairly nice, with the exception of the 3D effect. While it does well to separate the foreground from the background, it makes the backgrounds look all blurry and Mario/Luigi has a graphically gliched outline as a result. The 3D may have served a purpose in ‘3D Land’ in terms of judging jump distances, but ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ is a side-scroller. You’re much better having the 3D off.

The coins are another issue - there are far too many of them. Remember back in the good old days when coin hunting was a challenge in itself? When you’d be able to impress your friends by finding a hidden treasure trove of coins and bathing in 1ups as a result of your gaming skill? Well, in ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ coins are everywhere. To the point where avoiding the coins is actually harder than collecting them. By the time I beat world 1, I had 37 lives and didn’t lose a single one (100 coins = 1up if you didn’t know). That alone should tell you how many coins there are in this game. I’ve heard that if you collect a million coins something special will happen, but honestly, I couldn’t care less.

By far the worst problem is that the game is way too easy. I beat the whole thing in little under two hours. I was in shock. Not because the difficulty is up to a baby’s standard, but because I’d payed £40 for a game that was over before I’d even digested my dinner. This was the red flag for me. After the terribly consistent slew of unexceptional platforming, an overabundance of coins, the lack of innovation and the serious deprival of a decent difficulty; this shows the telltale signs of not a badly made game by any means, but a rushed and disappointingly unpolished one.

The game is presently on my spare shelf, with little incentive for me to play it again. Unless you’re a die-hard Mario fan (and by that I mean an unhealthy worshipper), I would NOT recommend this game. If you want a good Mario game which is similar to this game, you should instead trace back your gaming horizons towards ‘Super Mario bros. 3’ for the NES, or the ‘All Stars’ version for SNES (or the Nintendo Wii ‘25th Anniversary’ re-release). It’s creative, challenging and has a HUGE world map in comparison to nearly any other Mario game released in the past decade, let alone being unquestionably superior to ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ in practically every single way. It’s also a lot cheaper: In fact, you could probably grab yourself a copy for less than half the price of ‘New Super Mario bros. 2’ (at the time of writing) if you haven’t already. ‘Mario 3’ remains an all time classic, but ‘New Super Mario bros 2’ will forever be an inexcusable stain on Mario’s dungarees.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun, 11 April 2014
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I have thoroughly enjoyed playing through the levels of this game. This is one of the first games in the mario series that I have played and it definitely made me try out the others. Endless fun and is definitely suitable for both experienced and unexperienced gamers, we've had a lot of fun in our household passing it around the family and everyone seems to have really enjoyed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremelly frustrating way of saving progress, 3 Sep 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I am a programmer but for the name of God I have no idea how and why Nintendo chose to implement such a basic feature in such an infuriating manner.
1st of all I should't bother to save at all, what's wrong with autosave?!?!? So after each level (let's say I completed word 4-3) the progress should automatically be saved without me bothering with this.
Ok, let's say the user has to explicitelly save by itself after each level. Well Quick Save doesn't always save...I just completed level 4-3 and did a quick save then quit. When i opened again my save I was the begining of world 4 so you can imagine how pleasent this was. Also after you complete a fortress or castle you get prompted if you want to save. I read online on forums that these are called "permanent saves" as oposed to quick saves...You don't say...my head hurts, I just want to save the god damn progress!!!!! Maybe this is how they do saves in Japan, but for me it looks more like a sepuku save...

3.0 out of 5 stars Brings nothing new to the series, 22 April 2014
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
If you are new to Mario games, this would be a good place to start but it has nothing original in it so for someone who has played Mario games before it felt pointless, though it offers some fun in reliving the original experience on a different platform.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....or rather my 5yr old loves it!, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
We've a 5yr old Nintendo 3DS addict in out house who is particularly fond of Super Mario (also has a Wii with Mario Kart) and will if left to his own devices play this for hours on end......suffice to say we have to limit it but when we're lazy you won't find a better "baby sitter"!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!!!, 19 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Got for my birthday and it was much better thani though, i'm addicted to coin rush mode. The prequel to this game was my favourite on the ds and i was gutted when i finished it but now i'm living the adventure once again

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun Mario game!, 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter who recently started playing the 3ds. I have to say we both found this game a lot of fun. The music is very catchy and I particularly enjoyed the new features such as the new power ups, Gold Mario, and the incentive to collect the 3 special coins per level. My daughter enjoys using them to unlock the Toad houses that give various special items and extra lives. Yes, the game is a bit short, we completed it in a day, but we enjoyed completing it and playing it over again to unlock the extra worlds. I would recommend this to people with children as there is little reading if they are slightly younger and it is very easy to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 27 July 2014
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
What can I say, it's Super Mario bros, I'm a massive fan and absolutely love this game, as do my daughters. The only thing I was disappointed with was the end boss, he just wasn't challenging enough.

New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS)
New Super Mario Bros: 2 (Nintendo 3DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)