5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start!
Published on 12 July 2005 by Mark M

3.0 out of 5 stars Abridged Why?
Published 17 months ago by Janet Blackman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start!, 12 July 2005
This is a good place to start if you are yet to read a book by this author. I first read it when I was a teenager and three decades later I am still enjoying Herriot's books from time to time. He takes the reader into a place and a life that strikes me as one I would love to be a part of. He offers the reader inciteful tales of humour, hardship, humanity and wisdom in the rich seasonal landscape of rural North Yorkshire. I cannot think of a negative word to say about this author. He is a rare gem who never disappoints. James Herriot has left a legacy that will continue to bring joy and peace to those who have the good fortune to pick up his books. Although not intended or regarded as works of high literature his books rest happily on my shelf alongside other lofty tombs! Many thanks Mr Herriot.

5.0 out of 5 stars All creatures great and small, 25 Aug 2004
Mrs. S. Davies "173sarah" (Wales) - See all my reviews
The James Herriot series of books have given me endless hours of enjoyment. Having seen the television programmes based on these stories I was prepared to be disappointed with the written version, but I was unprepared for the quality of writing skill used. Having read the Gervase Phinn books, about a school inspector in the Dales, I was delighted to find a similar style of writing. I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys reading an honest account of life for a vet, during the 1930s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape into a better world in the Yorkshire Dales, 1 Dec 2009
James Herriot (aka Alf Wight) first had these wonderfully warm and funny stories of life as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales published in the 1970's and they have stood the test of time. They spawned 2 feature films and a long running BBC TV series with Christopher Timothy, Robert Hardy and Peter Davison, but for the real deal read this book - the first two novels rolled into one and bask in the characters, the heartwarming stories and the bizarre animal tales. I've no doubt James Herriot's writing inspired a generation of kids to become vets, and no doubt there is plenty of artistic licence in the books, but they take you to a better world. A marvellous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical Excellence, 1 April 2001
By A Customer
I read Herriot's "If only they could talk" (in Indonesian translation) when I was 10 years old in Indonesia. It gave me an unforgettable impression of the beauty of life. A life that's full of variation, dynamics, and humors at each part. It was one of my favourite books for the next 20 years! After the era of Internet, I tried to find the English version. What I got is this book, "All Creatures Great and Small", which is the expansion of "If Only". Funny, the book gave the same impression as if it's the first time I read it, the same feeling that our life is great, beautiful, dan humourous. The book has its role to form my philosophy of life. Read it, you'll see what I mean. (Another great thing is that now I live in the country of Herriot)

3.0 out of 5 stars Abridged Why?, 12 Mar 2013
Janet Blackman "Janet Blackman" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I love the vet books. I have read them so many times I kow what is coming in the next chapter. I was excited that I could get them on my Kindle. and purchased All Creatures Great ans Small. But they appear to have been abridged some of the stories are missing. I went back to look at my books to make sure I was not getting my books mixed up. No they are definitely abridged so a little dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st book by James herriot, 20 Sep 2012
J. Wheatley "AngelStar" (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Creatures Great and Small: "If Only They Could Talk" and "It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet" (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book in 1972 and as a Veterinary nurse in a veterinary Hospital that was open 365 days a year and 24/7 I found it delightful and at times extremely funny. The first book that ever made me "laugh out loud", it was at times also sad and I found it very easy to empathise with the characters. I worked at the time with a female version of James Herriot so I could understand the situations that arose in the surgery and out on visits. His books will always be my favourites that I go back to when I need a laugh or even a cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 5 Jun 2000
By A Customer
What can I say, refreshing and humorous, makes delightful reading. James Herriot brings together a sutle style and an imposing background that really gives you the feel of what the dear vet was experiencing, a must for all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warmingly old-fashioned, 18 Aug 2014
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is a heart-warmingly nostalgic book as Herriot takes us back to 1930s Yorkshire and his first days as a newly-qualified vet. Be warned, though, for all its cosiness, this doesn’t avoid the blood and guts, often quite literally, of the job – not a book to read over lunch!

So a gentle, cosy, easy read which has real heart – and some of the stories (the old dog with cancer) had me frantically blinking the tears away on the tube... a lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely delightful, 22 July 2014
Such a beautiful book! James Herriot had a superb talent for bringing things alive - you really can feel yourself in Yorkshire Dales, not to mention failing in love with his patients. I laughed and sometimes had tears in my eyes and was so touched by the stories. Recommend to all nature and animal lovers .

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 9 July 2014
Truly a classic. Funny, witty and insightful. Have read this again and again.