5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the low upgrade price - Win 8 Pro version
Published 21 months ago by De Zigeuner

3.0 out of 5 stars What on Earth is N Version?
What on Earth is N Version?

This is the question I asked myself when shopping for a Windows 8 OS.

As if the different (32/64, Standard, Pro, Enterprise) editions were not enough, here's this N Version!

Published 22 months ago by Oliver!

3.0 out of 5 stars What on Earth is N Version?, 3 Feb 2013
Oliver! "Tea house warrior" (Saltaire, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition, N Version [upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) (DVD-ROM)
What on Earth is N Version?

This is the question I asked myself when shopping for a Windows 8 OS.

After a bit of research it appeared that N Version is a specially dumbed-down version for European markets without Windows Media Player made by European Commission rule which is of course is looking after your good!

So you will pay MORE (at the time of writing) for a version with LESS features - as Borat would say, genius! Most likely you will download WMP anyway (I use VLC most often, but still have WMP as it does not hurt).

Spare yourself few pounds and buy this Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) box instead.

Hope this review will help someone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about Win 8, 6 July 2013
I like to be up to date on software but I'm not personally convinced about the changes in Win 8. Supply and delivery were 100% though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it worth the move?, 24 Mar 2013
Having first tried the Consumer Preview beta version I would have been inclined to agree with the person who claims that it is only suited to Tablets or Touch-screens but since the Pro Upgrade came out on general release at a very special price I decided to take a gamble and buy. I still have reservations but not because of the touch-screen issue. To overcome that I found there are various ways around getting back to the Windows 7 desktop view, in fact at very little cost you'll find Stardock Start8 is an excellent product to get you back to the more familiar Windows working environment.

However, my reservations are that Microsoft seem to have taken a step in the wrong direction by ignoring the fact that for those countless XP users who may have contemplated upgrading there has been no option open to easing them in to this entirely different OS. The shock of having an entirely different Start feature will completely throw them, especially as there isn't even an active Start button anyway. To have to find the software to make this possible isn't likely to encourage them to buy WIndows 8 if it means paying more of their hard earned cash, no matter how small the cost. Also, I guess that most XP users will have at some time or other used some of their spare time playing Solitaire or Freecell but they will now discover this has been removed. If you want these games you now have to visit the Apps Store to download them ... maybe that's why Windows 8 runs faster, it doesn't have all the extras that came with its predecessors!

If there is anything I should praise this new OS for it is the fact that it smoothly upgrades Windows 7 with all its files and folders and it certainly runs faster, but here again there is another downside. I found that some of the device drivers still need to be upgraded, and as it was with Vista, they may never become available. As to paying extra for the 'N' version what's the point, it doesn't seem to have anything more to offer?

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for Tablets and Touch-screens only!, 30 Dec 2012
Steer well clear of this OS if you have a pc or laptop with a standard screen. It seems to have been designed for tablets with touch-screens so, unless you have one of these devices, do not "upgrade" to this OS!
Compared to Windows7 you LOSE the ability to access recently used or pinned files from the start menu, you LOSE the familiar games (including the much loved Chess Titans), you LOSE the familiar program lists in the start menu, you LOSE ready access to favourites and you appear to GAIN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (at least in terms of functionality)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the low upgrade price - Win 8 Pro version, 2 Mar 2013
I am sorry but I must disagree with a previous poster who say that it is only of use if you have a tablet or laptop with a touch screen. I updated Win 7 Ultimate on my Dell XPS15 i5 laptop and it is a vast improvement on Windows 7. The computer starts and closes more quickly and programmes, my old MS Office 2003 Pro especially run much faster as do many other programmes. The update went very smoothly and in fact I could have just put in the disk and read a book whist it all just happened. All itms that the posters says he has lost - no he hasn't he just needs to find and reconfigure slightly. I still have my Windows 7 desktop available and not only do I have my task bar with regular programmes pinned to it I have moved it vertically to the right and with a click of the mouse I have three sets to pick from. I gather you cannot instal MS Office 2003 but as it was already installed with Win 7 it continues running --- but much faster.

As a previous purchaser of Windows ME I am always loath to complement Microsoft but on this occasion I will.

Recommended without hesitation.

THIS APPLIES TO THE NON- N version. It is the Win 8 Pro version at around £44 from Amazon.