on 22 April 2004
This book, like all the others in the series, is hilarious.
Herriot has a wonderful style, easy to read and with great comic timing. Whether you like animals or not is irrelevant; Herriot's descriptions of varied happenings concern not just the treatment of many different beasts, from farm cows to canine house pets but also the developing love affiar with his wife-to-be Helen. All the events that occur in his life are very enjoyably described and the author has a nice line in self deprecation. I laughed out loud so regularly my wife banned me from reading them at night!
Perhaps Herriot was blessed to carve out a career and a life amongst such a rich range of charachters. From his colourful boss Siegfried to his many vastly different clients, Herriot brings every nuance and wrinkle to life on each page. But his writing also has the capacity to make the readerfeel a different range of emotions as he describes the odd tragic occurrence..
All this combines to evoke vivid images of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Surely even residents of Lancashire will love these books!
The reader really feels as though he or she is amongst the people brought so vividly to life, and the fact that the books describe events from the 40's and 50's is unimportant compared to the enjoyment and pleasure that reading them engenders.
If you've seen the T.V. series and enjoyed them then you will love these books. If you've seen the T.V. series and not enjoyed them you will love these books. If you're thinking "what T.V. series?" then you will love these books. In short, everyone will love these books.
on 22 February 2014
I first read the James Herriot books about 30 years ago before the film was made and before the TV series. I loved them so much I promised myself I'd read them again. They're just as enjoyable and far better than the film and TV series because the stories are so rich in description that you can imagine being there yourself. They give you a very vivid insight into the lives and work of the people who are now long gone, and of course there is always a lot of humour together with the stories tinged with sadness.
on 26 January 2006
James Herriot's almost timeless easy reading style has been a draw for me over and over again, I first read his books at high school ten years previously, I have read them over and over again countless times.

This book is perhaps my favourite, it's pure Herriot and his life, the rough and tumble of life as a country vet has tears of laughter rolling down the readers face one moment, tears of sorrow in the next.

Herriot's earthy no frills real life introduction of Helen, soon to be wife, has the potential to turn the book into a slushy love story however Herriot's introduction is tasteful, soft and doesnt ruin the 'vetty' feel of the book.

As a lancashire lad with yorkshire heritage, my girlfriend adores my reading the book aloud with farmer accents.
on 17 December 2010
I was going to buy this but then I realised it was an omnibus of two others books I already had.
All Things Wise and Wonderful (1977) (incorporating Vets Might Fly and Vet in a Spin)
(Thanks wikipedia) -bear this in mind if you are thinking of buying it.

However if you have not bought those books but it is wonderful
on 13 March 2014
Received promptly, book in as new condition as always the case from this particular supplier. Sorry for my local bookshop but they simply cannot match Amazon for service .Besides I am partially disabled and cannot walk there.
on 26 March 2013
I just love this book, as I do all the James Herriot books; so much so that I bought the complete BBC TV series of All Creatures Great and Small. Such entertaining stories and colourful characters. The books are difficult to put down. James Herriot (real name Alf Wight) was a great story teller and, apparently, they are true. They take the reader back to simpler times, when Yorkshire Dales' farmers had a hard life trying to make a living on small farms with cattle and sheep. The veterinary surgeons also had a hard life, very often going out in all weathers at all hours of the night to treat sick animals. There is also a lot of laugh-out-loud humour in the books. Wonderful!
on 27 November 2015
The book looked ok at first but when I looked at the back of it, the back cover was bent and there were traces of pen on the edge of the pages.
I had ordered this book with 'All creatures great and small' as I wanted to give them as presents. Neither of these books were of good enough quality to give away. They arrived in a big box along with other items I had ordered, I didn't mind that, I just would have liked the books to be wrapped up in some sort of protective film/envelope as they were loose in the box.
on 28 March 2015
A good book to take you back into the Yorkshire Dales with the ups and downs of vetinary life. Great fun. The characters of the farmers their fortitude in the face of struggle are written of with great empathy and respect. I always enjoy meeting Tristan and Seigfried and the colourful characters both human and animal.
on 21 June 2012
Lovely to have these books on Kindle to enjoy again without the pages falling out as they were beginning to do on my paperbacks.
Just as relaxing, amusing and informally informative as they were when they first came out. A delight in store for those who are new to them.
on 1 November 2015
This is the third omnibus of James Herriot's stories of life as a vet in Yorkshire. I am certain I will enjoy reading it as I had a copy several years ago and I'm gradually reading his books again as I find them relaxing and nostalgic as bedtime books.