5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from start to finish
Published 11 months ago by sjh46

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more..
Published 7 months ago by Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from start to finish, 6 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
Beyond: Two Souls was one of the most entertaining games I played in 2013. The game tells the story of Jodie, a girl who is linked to a supernatural entity called Aiden who possesses powers such as telekinesis. You learn more about them as the story progresses over a 15 year period starting from Jodie's childhood. One thing I immediately loved is the game is split in to scenes which are not played out in chronological order. You'll move between events in Jodie's childhood, adolescence and adult life throughout the game. This works well and keeps you guessing where it will go next.

As a story driven game the player makes decisions that develop the characters personalities not just advance the storyline. This is the key ingredient that makes BTS work - you really start to believe in the characters the more you play. They have charisma and you care about what happens next and how the story will unfold. Ellen Page (Jodie) and Willem Dafoe (Prof. Dawkins) are perfectly cast in their roles, but the voice acting is quality all round.

As BTS is an interactive story the gameplay side has been kept limited. I didn't mind this as it kept the emphasis on the story, but as it's no FPS or stealth game it will not appeal to everyone. A lot of scenes rely on fast reaction button pressing and movements from the player although more standard gameplay is offered throughout too.

Another good thing is the story continues regardless of the player decisions. There's no "Game over and restart the level" here - each choice will simply lead to a different outcome. Although this means you finish quickly, the game can end in many different ways depending on your actions and choices so you can enjoy a second or third play through. You'll find making different decisions the following time round changes the story's feel completely so you won't just be going through the motions to see an alternative ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS GAME, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
In my opinion, Beyond: Two Souls is a masterpiece. Sure you can argue that it's too linear, and that your choices have limited impact, but this game is seriously impressive. The attachment you form with the characters, particularly Jodie, is simply incredible, especially seeing as they're fictional. Ellen Page's portrayal was outstanding, as was Willem Defoe's, and I played it again as soon as I had finished it.

Now this game may not be for everyone, as it's certainly not the most uplifting game to play. But my God, after you finish it do you want to go back and play it all over again. No other game, with perhaps the exception of Mass Effect 3, has given me such a feels trip and led me to feel such raw empathy with the characters. It is a testament to this game that this is the first review I have ever written for any item EVER, despite me having an account for 5 years.

The game looks beautiful, the facial animation is great, the voice acting is superlative and I'm not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye at points- bare in mind I'm a very British 17 year old.

Seriously, I cannot recommend this game enough, if you like a game for the story as opposed to the mindless mowing down of people in online multiplayer. Get it. Get it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obviously a divisive game..., 14 Oct 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not going to decry any of the lower scoring reviews this game received in the press, or indeed in this review section. Reviews are by their very nature entirely subjective, so it's entirely pointless to go down that road.

That said, I thought it was a phenomenal game. Although I wouldn't necessarily say I "enjoyed" it. The thing is, large parts of this game rely on your willingness to accept that a lot of mean, spiteful, heartless, manipulative and outright repulsive things are going to happen to the lead character. There are many sections where what you'll take from playing is how wretched and alienating the human spirit can be when faced with the idea of someone who's "different". I know a lot of people had a problem with the, er, distinctly downbeat tone of Heavy Rain, and I doubt those people will feel much different about Beyond.
But then there are also genuinely touching scenes that moved me. Scenes where simple love, kindness and acceptance can drag you back from the brink.

Then there's the control system. This isn't so much direct control of a character, as pointing the character in the direction of how you'd like things to play out. If you're willing to relinquish the micromanagement of every action in favour more detailed and varied second-to-second feedback onscreen, this can be a hugely rewarding game. If, on the other hand, you think games only work when the characters do stuff while the player is actively prodding buttons and twiddling sticks, you might not like this. Personally I'm happy with both, as long as they're done well.

Look, what I'm trying to say is this isn't your typical game, and it won't be for everyone. The graphics and acting are pretty much peerless in the video game world, the script and storytelling are on par with your average decently budgeted TV show, and - if you can accept the control system for what it is - it can provide an intimacy with the characters you just don't find in other media. If you're OK with that you'll think this is great, if not you probably won't. Neither is the better opinion - it's just personal preference.

Personally though, I think Beyond : Two Souls was bloody fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more.., 14 May 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
I expected a lot more than what I got with this game. I felt it was dragging me along rather than myself having a direct effect on the consequences of my actions. The story is okay, but it was let down by the plot being too 'far fetched' and what I felt pointless moments in the game. The controls were quite poor and were not up to scratch as to what I expected. Disappointed overall, the best part of the game was the ending missions which had more action and more decision making. The game was quite scary/freaky at parts, something which I felt distracted myself from being emotionally involved with the game, some other gamers may think different. I wish I rented the game instead of purchasing as I did not enjoy it as much to give it a second run through. However, it is worth a go if you can find it on the cheap or get it off a friend.

(p.s Heavy Rain was A LOT better)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best Games Ever, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
I never tought that this game would be so intense and amazing. My first game of QuanticDreams was Heavy Rain and so far was a great game that i really enjoyed a lot and something completely different then other games where you decide what is your destiny basically like real life, of course you do have the own choices by the game but looks so real and any step that u can do can change completely your destiny or someones else.
Beyond Two Souls was so intense and emotional in many parts that show us a big reality of world and for those who are not here anymore but that look for us every time. This game made me cry and feel all the moments like if i was Jodie the main character of this game... If you like a good story and intense where u can be free to choose whatever u want, if u wanna live or die is your choice and u can love who u really feel to and that deserves ur love. Is a great choice of a game and i really hope that can be a sequel of this game because i will buy all of them. David Cage have done a great job creating this game, congratulations. I totally recommend this game i am sure you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzz wake me up when it's over., 20 Oct 2014
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is just dull, dull as dishwater. I gave it two stars because the graphics are amazing but the story is boring as hell. I didn't buy the game thankfully I borrowed it but if I had of bought it I would be majorly disappointed now for wasting money on it. The story jumps all over the place to different parts of Jodie's life which to be fair I don't really mind, I was a fan of Lost so it takes a lot to confuse me. The problems are that Jodie just isn't interesting. Her childhood parts are quite nice because as a child she's adorable, as an adult she is just a plain misery.

Yes she goes through a lot but even nearer the end when she should be happier she's not, I just wanted to shake her. There is very little humour in this game to break the bleakness of it. I just really never cared about adult, miserable Jodie and when you don't care about the main character that's a problem. A lot of the story is quite unbelievable too and I care about the supporting characters about as much as I care about Jodie.

A lot of people put this game in the same league as The Last of Us and compare Jodie (or Ellen Paige) to Ellie, well they shouldn't they are nothing alike. It's insulting to The Last of Us to be compared to this rubbish and Ellie is fantastic and believable and can probably pronounce Aiden correctly. Sorry but Beyond Two Souls is laughable and I do not recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An experience worth trying even if it's not to everyone's taste, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
This game will not be to everyone's taste but personally I greatly enjoyed my experience with Beyond. I think that's the right word for it - experience. Whether you respond positively or negatively to creator David Cage's vision it is clear that this game will draw some sort of emotion from you and will take you places few other games dare to approach. Ellen Page's central performance is stunning and has been universally praised which I feel is fitting. The supporting cast is also strong and for the most part the writing is as well. Everyone will have their favourite moment which is a credit to the game as it offers a diverse range of scenes most of which are impactful and memorable. I loved Heavy Rain and so I would recommend this to anyone who has tried Cage's previous games and enjoyed them. To be honest, I would recommend this to all as I feel you are unlikely to play anything like this anytime soon and Quantic Dream should be commended for bravely putting forth this divisive piece of art. Anyone with a taste for narrative driven games and beautiful visuals (as well as generally very enjoyable and effective gameplay) should pick this gem up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring but may not please all..., 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
I personally love this game. He story is right up my street, dramatic as hell, full of action, the paranormal, science fiction and how can we forget the beautiful and talented Ellen Page.

It's the full package for me but I can see why it's not for everyone. It can be a bit confusing at times and the story is not in chronological order. This can frustrate some people but I didn't mind one bit.
There are other things that may put people off but I can't say without spoiling them.

The best thing to do if you want this game is to ignore every review you see, good or bad, and even better, don't read any at all. Just sit down and enjoy and see what you think for yourself. If you need some confirmation that it's good, you got a big thumbs up from this guy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasted potential, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
Before you consider this game I have to make it very clear to you that this is in fact much closer to a movie-esque experience
rather than an interactive game.
The reason that I say this is because the only real impact you will ever have on this game's story is the romantic
subplot and the ending, but ultimately it winds up feeling like you're watching a director's cut or an alternative ending anyway, hence a movie-esque experience.

So more than anything I will mainly cover the story part of this game.

The very first thing that will come to your mind is quite possibly "what the hell is going on" but that's a good thing, considering the setup of this game is very transparent, but will ultimately unfold and become clear around the end, for good or for worse that is subjective, so much in fact that I will leave that for you to decide and let me get this out of the way.

Yes! This game is worth a purchase, in case you would question that, let me ask you this - do you buy blurays/dvd's?
If the answer is yes, then I can happily inform you that this too would be worth your money, because at its core you have a powerful story about the concept of life and death and the world inbetween.

The story might seem like a bit of a trainwreck, because it deals with both Sci-Fi, Action and drama - And at some point, I could swear that a few elements of a thriller, even Horror made it onto the curriculum of this title.
However, for this to actually be considered a figurative trainwreck, it would have to mean that it did not make sense, and fortunately it does! So for those nay-sayers I ask of you, did you really care for this game?

Inevitably the title rests on the shoulders of Heavy Rain which brought studio Quantic Dream into the limelight, but again! This is not a bad thing.

Beyond Two Souls has a much more genuine cast this time around, and dare I say better performances overall? why yes I do.
William Dafoe brings his two cents of insanity to the screen as usual, consider it his trademark in case you didn't know...
Ellen Page however, truly brings this game to life, and makes it a very humane and generally relatable story in spite of its larger than life concepts and shall we say, over the top speculative thoughts made around the afterlife.

Ellen Page plays the character of Jodie Holmes, a girl born with a mysterious gift that enables her to look into the otherworld and tap into people's memories, even through objects.
On top of this, a spirit or "something" has been following her around for all of her life.
This spirit also comes into play, literally! As you progress in the story, and you will see Jodie interact with the spirit from time to time.

This of course sets her apart, and from an early age she was brought into special care and treatment under the supervision of doctor Nathan Dawkins (William Dafoe) and his assistant researcher, Cole Freeman.
These two characters later becomes the closest thing Jodie ever had to a real family after she was forcibly adopted yet again from her (now former) adoptee parents.

This leaves her scarred and shapes her as an induvidual, being under constant supervision by the closest thing she has to a dad and a brother, and haunted by the spirit that follows her around.

And this is where you come in as a player! For the most part, you will get to interact with the camera and look at the various things and even subject Jodie to various things by exploring either through the spirit (Aiden, as she has dubbed the spirit)

Unlike Heavy Rain you won't be straining your hands trying to time the button presses to execute commands, and for the most part you will only lead Jodie through directional means (dodge incoming hit, whether left or right)
In fact it seems as if Quantic Dream tuned the challenge aspect of this project completely off, and replaced it with something that serves much more respectively as a camera.

The issue with this approach becomes painfully obvious if you were to play the game a second time (like I did) to explore the various alternatives you are presented with.
These Alternatives are merely illusions of a choice, and functions much rather as something that might lead you onto a different camera angle or a very subtle change of course, but never outcome! And ultimately this is and will become the biggest weakness of this game, whether you have played Heavy Rain or not, it does not matter because it becomes apparent either way.

The idea of a game is undoubtedly the fact that you interact, and there is a severe lack of exactly that in this title.

However, if we try to forget about this for a moment we do in fact at the core of this title have a very promising and touching story, that even made a grown man like me soften up for a moment.

Particularly the part of the story where Jodie finds herself lost in the street, homeless, resonated deeply with me, I highly recommend you explore this specific chapter as much as possible should you give this game a shot.

And fortunately you do get the option to jump back and forth and between chapters should you so desire, when you have completed the game that is.

If you are of a more sensitive type I think this game will find you eventually and captivate you, because among its chaotic and often confusing exterior, it is more than anything else an emotional rollercoaster ride.
And whether you are capable of relating to the character of Jodie, is key for this franchise.

There are many clichés thrown around losely, and I suppose this was an attempt to make the game appear to as large a scope of an audience as possible, much like most Hollywood blockbusters.

It does feel like a hollywood blockbuster with a split-personality at times, because you never really know what kind of genre you will find yourself in for the upcoming chapter of the game that you are about to enter.

In the end you have a movie that is carried largely on the shoulders of the performance by Ellen Page, and as the very talented actor that she is, she carries this burden very well, but even for such a talented induvidual, this burden becomes too heavy at times, and the story stumbles because of it.
The fact that it's played out in flashbacks rather than a chronological order, doesn't exactly help this problem either.
I suspect that they intended it for an important payoff element to the story, and in many ways it seems almost obvious that the story started out as something very different and ended up becoming a totally different concept.

Hopefully we will get to see a bit more of an elaborate GAME the next time around from studio Quantic Dream, but in the end this isn't something that will stain the quality of their reputation - I highly enjoyed the game, and played it episodically every nightt, and it worked out very well for me in the end.

Alternatively you could wait for a price cut, but unless you are feeling in the mood for bashing something just for the sake of being negative, I suspect that you will enjoy this game much like I did. Just don't rush it, lean back and enjoy everything the game throws at you, and when you feel like taking a break, take a break rather than continue in order to rush to the end.
This is by far the best way to enjoy the story, also because of the fact that it deals with so many different genres and the stranger order of flashbacks thrown at you.

Not much of a game, an average story, but with a powerful, solid performance from Ellen page and some moments that truly resonated with me, I ended up thinking about the concept of which the game introduced to me in the end, and I didn't just put it back in its cover which tells me that it was a better than average experience.
Definitely worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's like playing a movie and after giving it a try, it's a good thing!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) (Video Game)
so Beyond: Two Souls is a game that you probably heard of, if you're looking for a good story and beautiful graphics then it's a must-buy for you but if you want something that gets your blood bumping, look else where.
for what it is, it's a fantastic game

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)