Platform: Xbox 360|Change

on 10 April 2013
It is a genuine pity that so many DMC fans are boycotting this game because of Dante's new look, and the drop in frame-rate from 60 to 30 fps (on consoles).

Personally, I love this game! The gameplay, artwork, & soundtrack are all top notch. The drop in frame-rate has not really affected the gameplay at all-it still feels perfectly smooth and responsive to me. It all looks so stylish & the animation is, at times, breath-taking. I admire the art work so much, I've decided to order the companion art book for the game. The sound track consists of both licensed music (which is very industrial) & an original score. They complement the game perfectly & add to the gritty, edgy atmosphere to this reboot.

For the first time, we have a DMC with a coherent plot. The story is well written and the voice acting is first class. Some people may not like the political nature of the story-it has a swipe at corrupt/sleazy bankers, the media, corporations etc. Initially you may not like Dante's personality, but as the game progresses, so does his maturity & sense of responsibility. By the end of the game, I found him to be one of contemporary gaming's more interesting & likeable characters.

As for Dante's appearance, I prefer the new version. I felt that the old one looked like a camp magician or a (stereotyped) Broadway dance choreographer.

Overall, I love the job that Ninja Theory have done. I hope that they are commissioned for a follow up. They have laid down some great foundations, & so it would be a great pity if they were to stop at one title. There is so much potential for future releases in this franchise.

In the future, I would like to see a prequel where you play as Dante's father; either as DLC, or a standalone game. Another reviewer on here said how they'd like to fight alongside Dante's brother. That would be great as we know how much fun co-op games can be, esp local co-op.

For those that enjoyed DMC, check-out both Heavenly Sword & Enslaved: Journey to the West. Like DMC these titles have great stories, characters, art & sound design etc.
on 31 May 2014
As a fan of the games since the original's release in 2001, DMC has been a gaming-life-long constant for me.
Ignoring DMC2, the series has been flawless, and this latest addition to the franchise is magnificent. I'm currently playing through the story and it is wonderful.
The new combat system is sensational, the boss fights are back with a vengeance and the young Dante is super slick. The variety of weapon options and interchangeability between them all makes this game's combo system lots of fun. The difficulty-switch system is also a happy addition, as it allows for faster character levelling & ability upgrades.
All-in-all, Capcom did a great job with this reboot, and I look forward to their next DMC adventure!

5/5
on 29 May 2014
I have played all of the DMC games. Many fans of the series have decried this game for many different reasons, but I was very happy with it, mainly because I put my faith in Ninja Theory who make awesome games and also because I went in with an open mind.

The DNA of the series is here - Dante, Vergil, the Sparda background, awesome combos, battling of demons and the grading of your combos, but this is a different DMC, and to its benefit. If you go in wanting the same thing as DMC 1-4, then you're only going to be disappointed. The characters and attitude of this game are a little different than before, and the story is a lot less muddy than previous entries. The action is fun, as is the platforming, and once you finally get to grips with the different weapons, controls and available combos you can really let rip - it's a great feeling. The game adds value by providing many more difficulty and game modes even after you've finished, as well as the opportunity to finish off collecting all the various items if you're into that.

Good fun.
on 27 August 2013
easy to play but a bit hard to master, the last dificulty levels can be imposible for more casual gamers.
overall, fun gameplay and decent story for this type of games, if you like action games you wont be disapointed
on 22 January 2013
A lot of people were not keen on this game, but me being a huge DMC fan was looking forward to it, for at least a year and a bit prior, played the demo, very impressed, the game is just as good as the originals, nice refreshing look & great story & visuals. must buy for any DMC fans out there.
on 22 January 2016
I have never played dmc games at all . When I played this I loved it then played 4 then bought the hd collection and got to say I am now a huge fan of the game series. What I don't get Is people complaining about the hair colour seriously if that's what you give a one star to a game because of hair colour then my advice is stay away from gaming . If your so bothered about it there is an option to play Dante with white hair . Which I didn't as it shows how he got his white trademark hair . After playing all 5 games to be honest this is my favourite one but only by a margin . Got say it's definitely up there with the mgs series and gears of war .
on 13 August 2014
First of all I have owned and completed all devil may cry games, DMC does not dissapoint and I hope they carry on with this reboot! If you don't like the new path then stick with the old dmcs, what you waiting for people get this game and get slashing!!! 10/10 for me.
on 31 August 2013
I haven't played any of the previous titles in the Devil May Cry series (although this is a reboot) and that's probably why I enjoyed it so much. The game itself has great reply value, as it has lots of collectibles and several different difficult levels (some of which are only good if you enjoy torturing yourself), as well has having some cool dlc.I must admit I played most of the game using the dante costume from the previous Devil May Cry games, as he looks way cooler.
I feel if you really want to enjoy this game, you have to treat it for what it is. A brand new series. You should drop any notions from the previous Devil May Cry games, and play with an open mind.
Overall a great game, I definitely recommend it.
on 16 November 2015
I have played the other Devil May Cry games and I love them I get why people where upset when they saw this new reimagining but they really need to play this not boycott it. I have to admit Dante's new look caught me a bit off guard but this game is brilliant. I loved every minute of it, the story, the character development, the game play and oh so many weapons. Really amazing game hope there will be a DmC Devil May Cry 2 someday!
on 24 January 2013
I'm not one to normally write reviews but after seeing the amount of unfair criticism this game has received, I felt I needed to make my voice heard.

Firstly, yes, Dante's image has changed. What is everyone's problem with that? He's always been arrogant even as his fully matured Capcom counterpart, now a lot of people are complaining he's too arrogant? He wouldn't be Dante without the arrogance.

Now I can move on to what actually matters - the gameplay. It's as solid as ever. You work your way through missions hacking and slacking demons with a vast range of weapons and combos at your disposal while also solving some straight forward puzzles. Certain enemies can only be beaten with certain weapons, which makes for interesting tactics deployed by the player when there are different types of demons.

I was really impressed by the storyline, even if it was a tad predictable. I still found it intriguing learning how Dante was as a youngster and how he became the fully fledged demon hunter he is known to be.

As you can expect, the graphics are of the highest quality and when you get taken to limbo (an alternate universe if you like) you can see how sharp they are and they make for some really unique levels.

I have three gripes with this game. All of which quite small.

1. The dodge button. It never seems to respond when I really want it to. I don't know if that's just me being rubbish at the game but still, it disrupts the fluidity of combat at times.

2. Lack of boss fights. Overall, the number of boss fights is underwhelming. You could at least have to face off against the same boss more than once like in the previous DMCs.

3. The ending. Without giving too much away, the ending was pretty anti-climatic and kind of left me thinking "where's the rest of it?"

With the exclusion of these three points you have an exceptional game on your hands. I recommend it to any DMC fan and to any newcomers of the series.

Yes, it is now Ninja Theory, yes Dante looks different, but the series has moved on - why can't you?

See one answered question