5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing Wizard Machine
As I am a true virgin to such steam generating irons I was unaware how it would power up, perform and work better than a conventional iron. However, I would have to say I was surprised.

Published 19 months ago by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Auto shut off design flaw
Published 10 months ago by Karen O'Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing Wizard Machine, 19 Sep 2012
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tefal Gv8431 Pro Express Autoclean Steam Generator (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Though expensive I found that using it was easy, didn't take long to set up and worked really well. The cord to the iron has a clever hinge system which stops the lead from affecting the clothes which are being ironed.

Placing the iron for me personally was a little difficult. As it is quite cumbersome the only place I could place it is the end of the ironing board, which is not very secure. As such, I would advise probably ironing close to another similar height unit/object i.e kitchen worktop or having an ironing board with solid end plate.

Having two small cats I would say the clicking and steaming from the iron does not go down with them or others watching TV, but the locking arrangement to the top is excellent should you have any critters/kids which like to knock things over.

Ironing was so much quicker than a conventional iron, one pass with the steam going and its done. Shirts ironed in 3.5 mins.

There are a number of pros and cons to the unit which are as follows:

Pros
Excellent locking arrangement
Anti-calcium probe stops any build up
Diagnosis/Status lights to the rear of the unit are helpful
Large water containing is excellent
Fast when up to temperature

Cons
Winding and hiding the cords is a little awkward
Placing the unit is a little difficult if you have a wire end to your ironing board. -Solid end would be better
Clicking noise to demand the steam is a little noisy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Aug 2012
I have had a number of steam generator's over the years and I have to say this is by far the best. I purchased this as the one I had ( not a year old) was really annoying and time consuming as it operated under pressure, did the job when you didn't have a lot of ironing, but if you did the time wasted waiting for the pressure to drop and refill the tank made ironing even more of a chore.
The Tefal Gv8431 may seem a little expensive, but I can honestly say it is well worth it as I no longer spend hours in front of the ironing board and ironing is yet again no longer a chore. It is very easy to use, the performance is excellent and makes light work of heavy materials, I would certainly recommend this product. Thank you Tefal

5.0 out of 5 stars SHEER BLESSING., 21 Nov 2012
THIS IS THE SECOND TEFAL PRO EXPRESS STEAM GENERATOR I HAVE HAD. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND IT TAKES ALL THE HARD WORK OUT OF IRONING WITH SUPERB RESULTS. I HAVE SUPER KING SIZE WHITE EGYPTIAN COTTON SHEETS AND THIS IRON MAKES IRONING THEM SO EASY WITH VERY SATISFYING RESULTS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the fun back into ironing!, 20 Aug 2012
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not my first Tefal iron, but is a significant upgrade from my previous model. The first thing that I noticed after unboxing is the sturdy, robust design. No expense seems to be spared in the design of this iron, and the result is a sturdy and solid base.

This iron has really put the `fun' back into ironing for me! It really cuts through those hard-to-press, creased clothes. I used to hate ironing my clothes, but now I have no problem. I might even say I enjoy it! Pressing on the `steam' button gives a very satisfying burst of steam and the joy of doing so never gets old! The iron hosts a huge 1.8L water tank, meaning that refilling the iron with water is now a thing of the past.

From an aesthetic perspective, the iron is very pleasing to look at. Whilst ironing, the grip feels natural and comfortable for those long ironing sessions and the rubber groves on the base of the iron provide extra support from it being knocked over when placed vertically. The cord is also of a fair length, easily covering the largest of ironing boards. However, I do feel the cord can get in the way at times. In addition, there is a clasp on the head of the base which keeps the iron in place, preventing any accidental knocks and facilitating easy storage/travel.

There are various settings on the iron itself, allowing you to adjust the temperature according to the type of fabric you are ironing, ensuring you don't damage those delicate and expensive garments, as well as providing extra heat for heavy cotton. I have ironed T-shirts, shirts, ties, socks, trousers, jeans and vests with no problems. Descaling is also very easy with the removal dipstick that slots into the side.

The iron does take a little time to warm up and is a little on the noisy side at times. Also, the cable rewind cord is a fantastic feature, but can be a bit jerky at times and does not always pull-in the cord. However, these are very small flaws and the results the iron produce far outweigh these. I cannot recommend this iron enough. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Nov 2012
This is my second Tefal steam generator iron and I love it. Just make sure you clean the collector out at very use. The only downside is the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Tefal Iron, 27 Sep 2012
KMW (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a guy, it's imperative that ironing should be quick and easy, and this Tefal delivers just that.

Not only does this iron get hot and steamy fast (like my old Tefal GV8421 iron), but this has an added bonus of a turbo steam function, which is handy and produces powerful steam. The only slight caveat is the absence of a retractable cable for easier storage, but that's not a deal breaker for me and is available on the GV846x and above models. The Anti-Scale function seems to work great on both of the Tefal irons I have and deals with the hard water / limescale build up fine. It's a fairly large unit offering a 1.8L water tank, so I'm able to iron everything in one go; However, it's size means storage is quite difficult, so I currently leave mine on the utility room worktop. Most importantly though, it's a pleasure to use and I can't recommend it enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Auto shut off design flaw, 15 Jun 2013
This was bought as an upgrade from my old Tefal steam generator which had served me well for several years. The problem with this new one is the auto shut off. In theory it is a great idea. You leave the iron unattended for 8 minutes, and it shuts off. The problem is that as a 'safety feature' that means it also shuts off if you don't use the steam button for 8 minutes. This is really annoying if you don't happen to need the steam during that time and you have to keep checking the clock to make sure you don't go over the 8 minutes. I wouldn't have bought this iron if I had know about this. On the plus side it irons OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with a couple of niggles, 13 Sep 2012
Mr. Dk Hamm "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second steam generator iron (the other being a Philips) and I have to say that they do a far better job of ironing than a conventional iron.

This Tefal iron makes swift work of the chore of ironing and smoothes the washing well. It only takes a couple of minutes to heat up after filling the tank so you are quickly on your way.

The niggles I have are firstly, the positioning of the opening in the water tank makes it nigh on impossible to empty it fully. This seems to be a continual problem with Tefal irons as I have had a couple of their conventional irons in the past and they have a similar problem. Not a serious problem but annoying all the same.

The second niggle is more serious in that there appears to be little insulation in the cord that carries the steam between the base unit and the iron. In itself, that isn't a problem but it makes the plastic sleeve at the top of the cord quite hot, not enough to cause serious burns but uncomfortable all the same. This is the only thing that stops me giving this the full 5 stars.

Steam Generators such as this one are more expensive than conventional irons but in my opinion they are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam Generator, 19 April 2013
This is the fourth steam generator and whilst it is somewhat bulkier than the others, it is by far the best. Steam output just what I wanted and the suer burst i a bonus for ironing those stubborn creases.

If you are looking for a good value generator then I would recommend this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an extravagance, but far more effective than a regular steam iron :-), 19 Mar 2013
S. Burke "Steve Burke" (London) - See all my reviews
Pros: Reduces ironing time (not as dramatically as others may suggest), removes heavy creasing with ease, large water container for extended ironing, easy to refill

Cons: Takes up more space than a conventional iron, hard to justify purchase cost unless you iron lots, steam button needs to be continually depressed, easy to burn your fingers (user error)!

I hate ironing and anything to mitigate the weekly chore is all good with me. Since I really don't iron enough to justify the extravagance of this type of iron over the trusty Tefal it replaced, it's taken a while to take the plunge and buy it. I can rattle through a fortnight's worth of work shirts in one go in 2/3 of the time it would ordinarily take, without having to refill the iron on the 4 occasions it would otherwise take. I keep forgetting to keep my fingers out of the way when repositioning shirt so I burn my fingers, but that's an error on my part, but worth keeping in mind nonetheless. One pass is sufficient to remove every crease on heavy cotton shirts and I'm convinced they stay crease-free for longer.

It is noisier than a regular steam iron, but the pump isn't intrusive and everybody else could watch the TV in the same room without being unduly interrupted. I didn't consider it a negative, and the same goes for the chord that feeds the iron which doesn't get so warm so as to be of concern.

Seems well made, is ergonomically comfortable to use and the limescale cleaning function actually works.

Not cheap, but definitely recommended.

ARRAY(0xb179abc4)