5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Murphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Self cleaning my foot!!!
I bought this steam iron from Amazon about 6 weeks ago. It is a great steam iron in terms of power but it is not self cleaning. It constantly squirts large quantities of black spray over clothing being ironed and it needs a thorough clean after every use.

I would not recommend anyone to buy this iron!
Published 22 months ago by fesey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tefal Gv8431 Pro Express Autoclean Steam Generator (Kitchen & Home)
I have had a number of steam generator's over the years and I have to say this is by far the best. I purchased this as the one I had ( not a year old) was really annoying and time consuming as it operated under pressure, did the job when you didn't have a lot of ironing, but if you did the time wasted waiting for the pressure to drop and refill the tank made ironing even more of a chore.
The Tefal Gv8431 may seem a little expensive, but I can honestly say it is well worth it as I no longer spend hours in front of the ironing board and ironing is yet again no longer a chore. It is very easy to use, the performance is excellent and makes light work of heavy materials, I would certainly recommend this product. Thank you Tefal

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an extravagance, but far more effective than a regular steam iron :-), 19 Mar 2013
S. Burke "Steve Burke" (London) - See all my reviews
Pros: Reduces ironing time (not as dramatically as others may suggest), removes heavy creasing with ease, large water container for extended ironing, easy to refill

Cons: Takes up more space than a conventional iron, hard to justify purchase cost unless you iron lots, steam button needs to be continually depressed, easy to burn your fingers (user error)!

I hate ironing and anything to mitigate the weekly chore is all good with me. Since I really don't iron enough to justify the extravagance of this type of iron over the trusty Tefal it replaced, it's taken a while to take the plunge and buy it. I can rattle through a fortnight's worth of work shirts in one go in 2/3 of the time it would ordinarily take, without having to refill the iron on the 4 occasions it would otherwise take. I keep forgetting to keep my fingers out of the way when repositioning shirt so I burn my fingers, but that's an error on my part, but worth keeping in mind nonetheless. One pass is sufficient to remove every crease on heavy cotton shirts and I'm convinced they stay crease-free for longer.

It is noisier than a regular steam iron, but the pump isn't intrusive and everybody else could watch the TV in the same room without being unduly interrupted. I didn't consider it a negative, and the same goes for the chord that feeds the iron which doesn't get so warm so as to be of concern.

Seems well made, is ergonomically comfortable to use and the limescale cleaning function actually works.

Not cheap, but definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing Wizard Machine, 19 Sep 2012
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I am a true virgin to such steam generating irons I was unaware how it would power up, perform and work better than a conventional iron. However, I would have to say I was surprised.

Though expensive I found that using it was easy, didn't take long to set up and worked really well. The cord to the iron has a clever hinge system which stops the lead from affecting the clothes which are being ironed.

Placing the iron for me personally was a little difficult. As it is quite cumbersome the only place I could place it is the end of the ironing board, which is not very secure. As such, I would advise probably ironing close to another similar height unit/object i.e kitchen worktop or having an ironing board with solid end plate.

Having two small cats I would say the clicking and steaming from the iron does not go down with them or others watching TV, but the locking arrangement to the top is excellent should you have any critters/kids which like to knock things over.

Ironing was so much quicker than a conventional iron, one pass with the steam going and its done. Shirts ironed in 3.5 mins.

There are a number of pros and cons to the unit which are as follows:

Pros
Excellent locking arrangement
Anti-calcium probe stops any build up
Diagnosis/Status lights to the rear of the unit are helpful
Large water containing is excellent
Fast when up to temperature

Cons
Winding and hiding the cords is a little awkward
Placing the unit is a little difficult if you have a wire end to your ironing board. -Solid end would be better
Clicking noise to demand the steam is a little noisy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steam Generator, 4 Jan 2013
Excellent buy. My previous steam generator went wrong and I was unable to buy a replacement from the same company as I could not find a stockist in the UK. Did a lot of research before deciding to buy this one. I do a lot of ironing in a week and I prefer it to my old generator. It heats up very quickly and when it runs out of water I can refil it immediately and carry on ironing rather than waiting for it to heat up again. If anybody was looking to buy one I would deffinitely recommend this one. It arrived very quickly and very well packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 3 Oct 2012
I was unsure about this purchase but having now used it I am definatly impressed it does what it says on the packet and I would recomed this type of iron to anyone with 3 or more family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the fun back into ironing!, 20 Aug 2012
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not my first Tefal iron, but is a significant upgrade from my previous model. The first thing that I noticed after unboxing is the sturdy, robust design. No expense seems to be spared in the design of this iron, and the result is a sturdy and solid base.

This iron has really put the `fun' back into ironing for me! It really cuts through those hard-to-press, creased clothes. I used to hate ironing my clothes, but now I have no problem. I might even say I enjoy it! Pressing on the `steam' button gives a very satisfying burst of steam and the joy of doing so never gets old! The iron hosts a huge 1.8L water tank, meaning that refilling the iron with water is now a thing of the past.

From an aesthetic perspective, the iron is very pleasing to look at. Whilst ironing, the grip feels natural and comfortable for those long ironing sessions and the rubber groves on the base of the iron provide extra support from it being knocked over when placed vertically. The cord is also of a fair length, easily covering the largest of ironing boards. However, I do feel the cord can get in the way at times. In addition, there is a clasp on the head of the base which keeps the iron in place, preventing any accidental knocks and facilitating easy storage/travel.

There are various settings on the iron itself, allowing you to adjust the temperature according to the type of fabric you are ironing, ensuring you don't damage those delicate and expensive garments, as well as providing extra heat for heavy cotton. I have ironed T-shirts, shirts, ties, socks, trousers, jeans and vests with no problems. Descaling is also very easy with the removal dipstick that slots into the side.

The iron does take a little time to warm up and is a little on the noisy side at times. Also, the cable rewind cord is a fantastic feature, but can be a bit jerky at times and does not always pull-in the cord. However, these are very small flaws and the results the iron produce far outweigh these. I cannot recommend this iron enough. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, 5 Mar 2013
This is my 3rd steam generator, by far the best yet, powers up and steams within a couple of mins.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self cleaning my foot!!!, 7 Jan 2013

I would not recommend anyone to buy this iron!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & fabulous, 17 Dec 2012
I bought this to replace a traditional steam iron, what a revelation!. I've wasted hours and sweated buckets doing ironing in the past - no more. A press of the trigger gives enough steam to get creases out of just about everything with minimal effort, jeans, shirts, dress trousers, everything irons without heavy pressing or repeated passes, some things now only need ironing on one side to get them crease free. Steam is independent of iron temperature too so cooler settings still get good steam. If you haven't got one yet then get one. You'll cut your ironing time by at least a third and more likely by half.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Design Deficiency - steam button (fantastic otherwise), 11 Aug 2013
I bought this product in its previous guise, the 8430. It is a great product and in terms of performance I cannot complain. However, I believe there is a serious design issue with the steam button and have contacted Tefal to query this. After about 8 months the one-piece plastic button broke (one side of the retention pin). Product was returned under warranty and fixed (despite the fact I could have changed it in about 30 seconds). It has now gone again and I face the prospect of returning it at my own cost. I will wait and see what happens over next day or two but suggest it would be unwise to purchase the product unless Tefal have made changes to the button design.

The button when pressed (underneath the handle) is held internally on both sides by plastic pins which are integral to the button itself. The pin allows the button to rotate and activate the switch. It is the pin on one side which is broken so the button is now off centre and won't activate the switch. Part of the problem is when you lift the iron your hand with the base your hand grips and the button and probably puts stress on it with the extra load of the whole iron and base together.