5.0 out of 5 stars Get creative try an Actifry!
I have been lucky enough to have been using the Tefal Actifry for a week now and have got to say that I am thoroughly impressed with this clever kitchen gadget. I have seen it advertised since it's launch and have wondered whether it is a great a machine as testers and salesmen have claimed.

I am happy to say that I have not been disappointed. This is a...
Published on 23 Aug 2012 by lovemurakami

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed design or manufacture
I first got one of these a few years ago and was quite pleased with the way it cooked chips. Though it made a lot of noise and took ages.

It cooked other food less well, such as a chilli we made. In fact the food was cold when finally completed and had no less fat than the way we would normally have cooked it.

After a few months, small parts...
Published 17 months ago by A. Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Get creative try an Actifry!, 23 Aug 2012
lovemurakami "tooty2" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I am happy to say that I have not been disappointed. This is a versatile kitchen cooker which most people would use again and again. It is great for a wide variety of foods and even though most reviews talk about how well it cooks potatoes, producing chips and roasts using only a tablespoon of oil, it can also be used to make many other meals, including curries, stir fries, risottos,and desserts, the only things that aren't recommended for cooking in it are dishes which use alot of liquid and freshly battered food. You will have to experiment with it when cooking your own recipes, the machine does come with a very limited recipe booklet with 12 recipes and a cooking time chart at the back which covers times for potatoes, meat/poultry (fresh and frozen), frozen ready meals such as paella or stir-fries, fish/shellfish, vegetables and fruit desserts eg bananas, strawberries, apples and pineapples. I am disappointed in the free booklet, and have looked to see what is available to buy, however there is a gap in the market, apart from a couple of books by Paul Brodel, there seems to be no other cookery books. I have spent sometime looking online where a lot of owners post their own recipes. Saying this you could use Tefal's recipe book and pick their curry recipe and use the cook times but alter it to other casserole type meals e.g. sweet and sour chicken. The rotating blade which sits inside the pan ensures that whatever you are making is evenly cooked and browned. You basically pop whatever you are cooking be it chips and sausage (they both fit in the pan together) set the cooking time, for sausage and chips we set it for 45 minutes and hey presto, off the blade goes, you can go and do something else and when it beeps your food is ready.

The Actifry itself is slightly noisy when on but there is not steam or spitting with it, meaning that it seems a very clean way to cook with. The machine itself does take up quite a bit of bench space. I have found keeping it next to my hob is the best place for it, because it reduces the amount of pans you need, in fact you often don't need your hob, so you could sit the fryer on the hob whilst it is cooking (as long as you don't turn your hob on!)

I can see why it would be popular with people who have caravans or mobile homes, it will offer you the chance to cook most foods and will help save on going out to the chip shop! As a family gadget it is great, if the kids want chips and nuggets you can cook them in the same pan and at least the chips are much reduced in fat content. It cleans really easily, the central pan pops out and it is non stick so really easy to wash. Because it has the pad to stir the food, the non stick shouldn't get chipped as you don't need to use utensils in it apart from removing your cooked food.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not it is a energy saving item, it obviously is if you use your oven and hob alot as you won't use them as often. Whether or not is it cheaper than a slow cooker, I'm not sure.

Overall, I can see why so many people rave about the Actifry and why many people would buy another if their's stopped working :)

Updated review

I have now been using this fantastic piece of kitchen equipment for over 1 month and I can't recommend it enough. The more you use it the more you realise how much you can do with it. You can adapt alot of recipes from any of your cookbooks to work in the Actifry. For example I use the Mexican Food Made Simple book by Thomasina Miers and instead of roasting veg in the oven and then adding it to a mixture in a pan, I just cook it all together in the Actifry. It is such a clever gadget, and you can do a wide variety of dishes in it. Just look at your recipe and think how you could cook it in the Actifry, play about with the cooking times. What I would say is the more you use it the more confident you will get. Can't recommend it enought. Great device.

Just a final note this is so easy to clean, the clear lid detaches and washes with a little soap and water, the pan cleans really easily and there is a plastic lip which helps contain splashes which encircles the pan, this comes off the pan easily and cleans nicely. I really can't stress how great a kitchen gadget this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for frozen or home made chips and more, 17 Sep 2013
SteveINtheUKok "SteveINtheUKok" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I've had an Acti-Fry before but it was an older model and I only had it for a little while.

I bought the family model as it has two major benefits over the other models, apart from the size that is.

The first benefit is that it has an automatic cut off once the timer has reached zero which the other models do not, so if you forget your chips your ok, it will turn itself off, the chips keep warm in the residual heat of the machine for a good while.

The second benefit is a little more obscure, the family version has a plastic ring that fits around the top of the pan, this overhangs the pan itself and for things like a stir-fry it keeps all the contents inside the bowl, I found on the other models it tended to want to escape :-)

I use my Actifry mainly for chips, roast potatoes, chicken wings and stir-fry food. It is excellent at all of them.

You can do other things like chicken nuggets but some more moist foods will shed their breadcrumbs due to being moved all the time before the coatings have hardened in the heat, that is the price you pay for low fat cooking I am afraid.

I have also owned a Philips Air Fryer and while it was ok, it wasn't great at making chips like the Actifry and also oil built up on the internal parts and made it smoke a lot, there is no smoke with the Actifry.

I would advise against dishwashing the parts of this machine, hand wash them, it only takes a minute. Dishwashing will encourage the plastics to crack, its just something that happens, same thing happens to the Morphy Richards three zone steamers I buy, all are great machines, I have had more than one of each, but all of them suffer this cracking over time, all you can do is hand wash to slow the rate of deterioration, although if any parts do fail, at least getting spares is now easy via Amazon. Treated well the machine will last, treated badly and like most things, it won't.

Home made chips in this are just out of this world, I use Maris Piper and sunflower oil, try mixing in some paprika to your oil if you want something different.

Chicken wings are stunning, crispy if you wish (I do!) and pop in some Montreal Steak Spice for an amazing flavour or lightly toss in barbeque sauce (in the pan) and run for 2-3 mins to thicken the sauce and make sticky wings. You'll love them!

Yes, chips take longer in here than frying, but then your getting the benefit of healthy eating and they are delicious too in my opinion.

No the machine isn't perfect it doesn't instantly cook chips silently but it does make cracking chips that have very little oil (probably less than mashed with a dab of butter!) and does it very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent machine, with a few reservations, 29 Nov 2012
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had this machine for several weeks now and it is slowly growing on me.
Like most people I started off with the chip butty test and it works great, using only a drizzle of oil the chips come out perfect. I hated using the old chip pan but this has taken most of that aggravation away, don't throw the chip pan away though as this machine isn't much use for fritters or any battered foodstuffs like onion rings as the rotating arm takes most of the batter off.
I've been cooking sausages and chips together and the fat from the sausages helps cook the chips, it's a matter of trial and error as to when to put each item in.
The leaflets included do contain a few recipes but it's not an impressive collection by any means, it's a shame there so few recipes included. I tried the risotto recipe but it was a disaster other attempts have been more successful, stir fries come out great.
It's very easy to take apart and clean.
The cost may appear prohibitive but as it uses so little oil it's a far healthier option than deep fat fryers.
It will never replace my trusty old Ken Hom wok which has faithfully served for well over a decade but it is a great addition to the kitchen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously flawed design or manufacture, 3 April 2013
A. Butler "tanj666" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)

After a few months, small parts started to break. The paddle no longer clipped into place, the handle broke, then the clear lid, then the mechanism that caused the paddle to rotate. SO we got a new one (thanks to Amazon's excellent customer service).

The new one has lasted longer. But a year later it has died in the same way.

The problem is the quality of the plastics being used. The material that connects the paddle to the center spindle is made of a type of plastic that actually seems to melt after a period of use! Now the cursed thing doesn't rotate properly so the food doesn't get cooked properly!

Tefal really need to look at these issues and address them. Now I have a large, expensive, noisy and useless cooker sat on my worktop.

A complete waste of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chips, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
This is my third- so I guess there is a life span. The first two were the earlier design but Tefal replaced lids when requested. Finally lid of last one just wouldn't close so replaced with this more modern model. Fingers crossed!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great low calorie chips, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Great item but timings may differ. It is trial and error until you get it right. Great for roast veg

5.0 out of 5 stars A portion of chips for one, Sir?, 19 Aug 2012
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 9:16 Mins

It may be the 1.5kg Family version but it makes a great chip butty for one! I was really pleased when I read the instruction book and saw 250g of chips at 22 minutes. I was afraid it was going to be 40 minutes no matter what the amount of chips.
23 August: the cooking in the video cost just over 5p. This was based on a unit price of 13p from my last electric bill.

So, although it is 50% bigger than its 1kg cousin it cooks faster and uses about the same power (between 1100-1400w). As you can see from video I had to measure 4ml of oil, where the instructions say a fifth of an Actifry spoonfull. I had a syringe for ink refilling - do for now!

One thing I did notice on its first use was that it set off my fire alarm detector just like my gas oven does if I leave an adjacent door open. My old chip pan on the gas ring never did that. I also noticed there is a slight hot air blow in use (see video) so don't leave bread nearby.

As you can see it is easy to dismantle and clean. Whatever I learn to cook, and the risoto looks tempting, the main hurdle has been overcome: I love the chips!

4.0 out of 5 stars great item, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
fantastic frozen chips really chips just not got them right yet never look like the picture, great stir-frybut needs spiced up.
ideal in the kitchen no steam like deep fat fryers & much more healthly. I would recommened this item to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Tefal Actifry Family in Black, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I had seen this product being advertised and used on a shopping channel on the television and often wondered if it was as good as portrayed.

After searching on the Internet for similar products and their reviews, and as this was a considered purchase, placed my order for this item with some trepidation (had I made the right decision). It arrived extremely quickly and was used the very same day. I am now completely converted. Why had I not got this brilliant thing a whole lot earlier. It is so easy to use and the results of the cooking are wonderful. And yes! I have cooked oven chips in it and they turned out far better than any I have ever done in the oven!! The amount of food you can cook at any one time is also pleasantly surprising, hence the tital Actifry Family.

This product is an all round cooking phenomenon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought! What a time saver!, 13 Feb 2013
M. Stonelake (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I was a bit dubious about spending so much money on a product that I had not tried, and only going on other reviews. My family had to put up with slimming world style cooked chips up to now as that was the healthy option, but it is a pain the bum to do and sometimes disappointing. However the Actifry chips are so easy. Bung the chopped potatoes in and a spoon of oil, timer on and there you go. We came back late from an outing one night and fancied some chips, bunged some frozen ones in, no oil, and lovely chip butties and smiles later.. The chips are lovely, healthy, and not over oily. Fry light can be used successfully for even healthier chips...yummy! What a buy. Certainly one I don't regret!

Tefal ActiFry Family - 1.5kg - Black