on 19 March 2014
Purchased this Tefal 8-in-1 over a month ago but did not want to leave feedback until I had a chance to give it a good try. I almost did not purchase this on reading feedback others had left, and wanted to be as helpful as a i could to other purchasers.
I was after a replacement for my well used slow cooker. The main thing I was looking for was a good slow cooker with a timer, this would cover both and much more.
My first job for my new Tefal was Rice, well it had had to be done. It cooked the rice just perfect. Then I tried the rice pudding in the recipe booklet, which I have cooked twice and found that not stirring the rice was best and it came out much nicer and as we liked it. Of course with all things you have to adjust to taste, and not give up if the first result is not right for you, the recipe is only a standard guide.
Then Something I have never done, I baked the chocolate cake to the recipe and I was amazed it was perfect and enjoyed by my husband. I will be repeating cakes, as it was so easy with great results.
Onward to what I wanted most, slow cooking. I used my own recipe and made a Spanish Chicken casserole, it came out perfect. You may need to adjust timing if you like your vegetables softer.
One person left feedback that said that slow cooking left a smell on the seal. This is so but it does not contaminate say a rice pudding. So don't be to worried about this. I can not say I am bothered about this.
I have started doing porridge on timer so we wake up to a nice breakfast. It did stick a bit on the first go but I have got this covered by not letting the timer run to the end.
Over all I am very pleased with this item and I am looking forward to trying more casseroles and puds.
Take your time and adjust timings to your taste and you will enjoy everything this Tefal has to offer.
44 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2015
I've had this cooker for a few months now and am generally pleased with it. Originally I bought it to make sushi rice since the saucepan method of doing that wasn't always successful at my house ;) The Tefal handles that job beautifully and, when you consider how much Tefal costs in comparison to good quality rice makers, it's a steal of a price. The Tefal looks great and is just sturdy enough to feel solid without being cumbersome to move around. The inner bowl is a breeze to clean and there is a handy rice paddle included, plus a small recipe pamphlet. So far I have cooked brown rice, porridge, sushi rice, quinoa and rice pudding, and I made what the recipe terms 'a cake' which, while delicious, is really a steamed pudding sort of thing. All turned out beautifully.

There are niggles, however. First, although there is a steaming rack, it is difficult to think of something you could steam in there at the same time as cooking rice. This is because the rice programmes run 25-50 minutes and anything steamed that long becomes edible...except maybe something like potatoes, but who wants to eat rice and potatoes?? You could place items in there for the last 15 mins or so of the programme, but doing that seems to impair the actual rice, possibly because of a drop in temperature as you fiddle around with the lid.

Second problem- the minimum quantity of rice you can cook is enough for 3-4 people, which doesn't actually suit me, and the porridge minimum is enough for 2-3 people, so bear that in mind.

Finally, the supplied instruction documents must be an attempt at humour- there is a tiny slip of loose paper detailing required quantities of water for cooking various grains. I lost the slip....and its info is nowhere online, not even on the Tefal site. Happily, I found the sheet again, but if I hadn't then I would pretty much have been left with a semi-useless machine. Once found, I photographed the sheet and stored that into phone, in the cloud and on my PC ;)

And finally finally- there are a lot of recipes there, from paella to cakes. But would you want to cook seafood after porridge in the same machine, seeing as you can't really clean all of the machine interior and steam heating means aromas pretty much get everywhere internally? Rice, grains, porridge and cake all cooked very well are more than sufficient justification of the Tefal's price, all the same
33 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hopefully this video gets over just how easy it is to make perfect rice using this.

If you bought it only as a rice cooker, you'd be really happy, but with all the other functions as add-ons it begins to look even better value still.

It's very simple kit to use. For just about everything you simply bung in the ingredients, select the program, press start, and wait till it beeps. It calculates the cooking time itself based on what you've put in, and gives you a count down, and turns itself off and keeps the food warm when it's finished. Idiot proof. Somehow though, the two instruction books it comes with are so poorly written and hard to decipher that they somehow manage to make it sound way more complex than this. They really don't do a good job of selling the machine. My other minor criticisms are that the main pot has no way of clipping on a handle - this would be really useful if you are in the habit of serving at the table rather than in the Kitchen. Also without the unhelpful instructions whilst you are finding your way around the machine the lights on the front are very unintuitive about what they mean. So the display starts with a -- on the lights, click start and it goes to a single -. To me it isn't obvious that means it's cooking just fine. Also in the video I think I say that the '6' means it will keep warm for 6 minutes. It doesn't, just whenever the keep warm light is on the '6' also appears in the main display. Again, not very intuitive.

Still, once you've mastered these quirks, all that matters is the food. I've already said it does perfect rice, but we also put our porridge on using the delayed timer function overnight. Takes seconds to bang in the milk, oats and water, and press the buttons before you go to bed. Then wake up to perfect porridge. We've also used the steamer function to make soup, steam vegetables and make steamed puddings and all turned out brilliantly (though a very minor criticism is that the holes in the steamer basket are quite wide and beans can full out of them whilst steaming!).

Just for ease of use though (once you've done it once), and consistently perfect rice, this has already made itself an essential part of our kitchen. Recommended.
3838 comments|372 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2013
Before I review this cooker, I must first congratulate Amazon on the fastest delivery I have EVER had on an article purchased from Amazon UK. Order placed on Wed 13/11/2013 10:49, despatched Wed 13/11/2013 18:10, arrived at home in Charente-Maritime, France, on Thur 14/11/2013 at 10:30. How amazing is that?

On to the cooker ; this will probably be the most used piece of kitchen equipment I own.
I have tried all the slow-cook recipes in the included book, made the tomato soup, and cooked white rice. All turned out perfectly. No fuss, no mess, no problem.
The recipe book isn't very big, but it doesn't need to be. Read through what is included, and you will soon realise what you need to do to convert any of your favourite recipes to this type of cooker.
It's very easy to clean, and although made in China, appears to be good quality. Here's hoping it lasts a long time.
Buy one, you won't regret it.

OK, an addition to my original review (16/01/14).
I now pre-cook the meat for chilli, curry, stews etc. in the RK. If it is damaging the non-stick interior there is no sign of it yet, and no thermal cut-out has cut out. How to do it? Stick the machine on steam, add a little oil, allow it to heat up, add the meat and/or onions, keep turning until browned, then switch off (cancel). Throw in the rest of your ingredients, then tab round to the slow cook programme. Easy as that with no more extra pots to wash.
on 13 December 2012
If you work long hours or unsociable shifts and have little time to cook you need to buy a Tefal 8-in-1 Cooker. Healthy, delicious meals with minimum effort and even less washing-up are possible with this ultimate kitchen gadget. I mainly use the slow-cooker setting - I just throw-in the chopped raw ingredients for my curry, soup or stew and switch it on. Meat is beautifully tender with no 'browning' of the meat required, so time saved and no frying pan to clean. It's also far more economical to use than an oven and can be left to cook overnight. Perfect! Every sleep-deprived junior doctor should have one.
on 7 December 2013
Actually, the Tefal Rk302e15 8-in-1 Cooker - Slow Cooker (RK) is way more than a rice cooker, although it prepares all types of rice extremely well, if that is all you want to do. It cooks perfect one pot meals. Using the steamer tray you can make all types of meat, vegetables, fish dishes, at the same time you are making a bowl of tasty rice. Everything is ready at the same time and clean up is easy with the metal non-stick pot. Have not tried it for breakfast porridge yet, or cakes, but this is an extremely versatile cooking appliance, which offers a lot of value, if you spend some time learning to use it to best advantage by studying the manual and the included small recipe booklet.

All the parts exposed to food are washable and dishwasher safe, including the inner top and rubber seal, pressure valve, plastic steamer tray, and cooking pot. This is a well built appliance. The cord is removable, so you can obtain, for example, European plugsets or replacement cords, if damaged in use. The RK has an excellent delay function, up to 15 hours, as well as extended keep warm feature. The only rice function it lacks is congee, which only a few rice cookers sold in Europe have available.

The unit is very quiet. It emits no steam and very little odor while in use, as it has a removable condensation cup and good rubber seal. The condensation cup is somewhat inconveniently located in the back of the unit, since it needs to be removed for cleaning, after the unit is used. The RK comes with a plastic spatula and holder, which clips onto the device, when set up, which is a nice feature.

The RK is very flexible. I have tried making both rice in the pot and steamed chicken breasts and vegetables in the included plastic steamer tray, which fits on top of the rice pot, and the results were excellent, if slow (90 minute automatic cycle for brown rice). But it gave a perfect meal result, even for a single person portion. Very tasty! I will probably will use the RK delay function in the future and set it all up in the morning :) . Will try the porridge cycle soon.

So why have I given it 4-stars instead of 5? I consider 5 stars should be if the entire package is perfect. While performance is excellent, Tefal should make some packaging improvements, so users can immediately get best results as soon as possible. The device is not currently designed to be used intuitively like most microwaves or electric coffee makers, because of the extremely opaque display, and somewhat poorly designed instruction manual. Who would guess a 'b' on the screen means the dish is done? No one, unless you carefully read the tiny, small type manual a few times, with its two pages filled with many very small numbered illustrations at the front of the instruction manual, inconveniently keyed to the text, rather than inserted where they would be most easy to follow. Instead you have to keep flipping back and forth between the illustration pages and the text section you are studying. There is no color in the manual to highlight material, just cheap black and white. A quick start plastic guide card, which could be kept near the unit for reference would be most helpful.

Since some Tefal manuals do use color, Tefal could clearly do better here. The water markings on the rice pot are shallowly stamped on the inside of the pot and are virtually unreadable, even when the pot is new. Similarly, the lock markings on the pressure release valve, which requires disassembly into two parts to clean, to secure it back in place are very hard to see - some contrasting color, would be most desirable.

The separate color recipe book is rather thin, but at least it gives you some examples of the great range of features for this cooker. As another review has pointed out, a small DVD walking purchasers through this appliance set-up, disassembly, cleaning, and use by demonstrating its many features would be extremely useful, and make this rice cooker quickly accessible to a broad range of cooks from novices to culinary artists. A DVD would assist users to quickly understand and appreciate this appliance's outstanding performance and range.
review image
on 12 September 2013
We bought this device because we cook a lot of casseroles and we felt it would need less attention and use less energy that our fan oven or gas hob.

So far it has proved a success and met out expectations.

These devices are often advertised as rice cookers, but I cannot see why anyone would use them for cooking rice. The Tefal 8 in 1 cooker takes up to an hour to cook rice; it takes me 15 minutes for basmati using a saucepan and the result is always just fine.

We have so far cooked Moroccan chicken 'tagine', Indian lamb Madras, Chilli con carne, lamb kleftiko, pork afelia, Lancashire hotpot , liver and bacon casserole, braised beef and onions, chicken cacciatore, bolognese sauce and other similar dishes with great success.

I would say the advantage is that you can put it on in the morning, set the slow cooker for 8 hours and get on with your work, without having to keep checking it. On the slow cooker setting, it is just below simmering and very little moisture is lost. So you put a little less liquid in than you would for a normal casserole. Also you can use cheaper cuts of meat and the result is tender and succulent.

If the dish incorporates veg., these can be left in throughout the cooking time, due to the very gentle process. Energy consumption is minuscule, compared to our 3.5kW fan assisted oven. The kitchen stays nice and cool and no noise from the fan. There is no condensation in the room. A further advantage is that nothing sticks to the cooking bowl, so cleaning up is very easy.

Depending on what you are cooking, you may need to seal the meat and fry onions, garlic, spices and so on. If so, this must be done on the hob, before you use the slow cooker. If you want rice, I would cook it in a saucepan. However, I am going to try out a lamb byriani and I think the slow cooker will be ideal.

Vegetables could be steamed over the main dish, but I prefer to cook them separately.

I am told that my productivity and general demeanour has improved since I have been using the cooker. I put it down to not having to break off what I am doing to start preparing a meal in the afternoon and not having to keep checking the cooking. I find it only takes a few minutes to prepare the main dish and start the cooker in the morning. I think that a century or so ago, northern people who worked in the cotton mills, use to take their hot pots to the bakers on the way to work and collect them, ready cooked at the end of the day.

This is a modern take on that very sensible practice.

In case this review appears unduly glowing; I would like to make it clear that I have no connection with the manufacturers. Mostly I am very dissatisfied with things that I buy these days.
on 22 April 2013
We used this when our kitchen was being changed and we had no oven or hob. It was fantastic - cooked great rice, but also did lots of other useful things. I liked the timer function too, so that we could come in to ready food. Highly recommended!
on 22 April 2014
I have had this product for about 3 weeks and am truly delighted, have used it at least 4 to 5 times a week for cooking rice, steaming vegetables and for slow cooking, instructions as usual short on tips and advice ,for instance when slow cooking l now realize you need very little liquid admit it is commonsense as the liquids do not reduce as the steamer lid is closed with just a small steam outlet, not sure if the steamer basket would be large enough for family of 4 one would have to experiment, having said that have now disposed of my electric 3 tiered steamer as this product knocks spots off it. with care you can open the lid whilst food is cooking which l have done many times whilst l become used to this product. My daughter has a family of 4 and uses her Rice and Vegetable steamer 3 to 4 times a week hers is the Tefal 4 in 1 and she has told me that it is the most used piece of equipment in her kitchen. Well Done Tefal
on 3 April 2016
Amazing slow cooker! Never fails to properly cook whatever I put in there. One day I just the in what ever I had in the fridge and the fusion of the random ingredients were amazing!
Since getting this I have not used the oven nor the stove to make my meals, meaning there are hardly any dishes to clean up at all. Just the one bowl of all cooks in!
I recommended it to family and friends who now also love their new slow cooker!

I got this one in particular because my research showed it was the daddy of all slow cookers... And that's exactly what it is!