Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more

VINE VOICEon 20 September 2012
Colour: Ivory|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Me and my wife and BIG coffee drinkers. It is the first thing we need in the morning. We have an 8 month old baby and coffee has been as much use to us as nappies and baby wipes!!!! :-)

I have had a Dolce Gusto machine for a few years, one of the earlier models. Now I did love it, however my gripe from it was it was quite noisy when you used it and the other big disappointment was the coffee wasn't that hot. The good news though is it looks life Krups have listened to feedback as they have now released this new model and it has become the perfect machine with 5*!

Firstly the machine itself is very stylish and looks brilliant in all kitchens. With the choice of colours you will find one that suits your own kitchen. It looks like an expensive machine and the build quality is fantastic. You will the tank with water, switch it on and the LED changes from red to green when it is ready to use. From power on to ready to use is less than 30 seconds. You then add the coffee pods (a small selection of free pods come with the machine!). The boxes of pods you can buy show you which pod to use first and how much you need to use of each pod. This is only relevant if the drink you are making requires 2 pods i.e Latte, Cappuccino require 2 pods that come in the box. 1 Pod is the milk, 1 is the coffee. The pods just slot into the machine below the silver handle, pull the handle down and switch the lever to the hot setting and away you go. Fresh, HOT coffee in a very short time. The quality is amazing and at long last Krups have made it so the coffee comes out very hot and the machine is much quieter than my old machine.

The boxes of pods are cose to four pounds for 8 x cups of latte's, but when you compare that to what Starbucks charge then it is well worth it as the quality of the coffee is fantastic. These machines are well worth the money and with so many varieties to try you will be using this machine all the time! Perfect now the weather is getting colder.
44 comments|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2012
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Pros:
This machine makes a great change for morning Starbucks coffee!. It is the best home coffeein MY EXPERIENCE. It is fast & energy efficient as it only uses the water it needs (normally just one cup for me), you can make coffee in less than 3 minutes! It is an enviornmentally friendly & clean. It doesn't nee claning really. My only advice is to use filtered water (with Brita or even cheap supermarket water).
Oh & it makes pretty good crema (the froth of coffee at top).

The Cons:
They use dehydrated milk which is rehydrated via water resulting in a watery milk & I do find that can be offset by putting some fresh milk at bottom of cup first. That is a way if fixing that problem & my friends all agree it is pretty good when I make it that way. However, I do wish that Nescafe would look into this. (perhap adding a tiny bit of cornflour to this to make it thicker).
Also, the pods can be pretty expensive (HINT: get them when they are on offer) espeically that you need to use more than one pod when youare making latte, cappucino etc (this is especially true when using their espresso shots for latte etc).

All in all, an excllent value for money machine! :)
11 comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2016
I bought this originally as a present for my mother for Christmas, she briefly mentioned looking at them in the local supermarket and when I bought it, there was a special 50% off for prime members so it made the perfect present!

My mother loves this machine and so do I - so much so that I'm trying to justify why I need one in my life myself. I was a little worried about the cost of the pods outweighing its novelty but my mother says they taste similar to what she would get from a proper coffee shop and paying under quarter of the price per cup is well worth it. She says the only downside to it is that she prefers strong coffee and her favourite type of coffee, the Cappuccino, doesn't taste strong enough for her tastes (but she now makes her own version with a strong expression, some hot milk and a frother) and now tends to buy the 'Intenso' version of the pods. Her favourite are the Grande Intenso (with a dash of fresh milk) or a Cafe Au Lait (hope I'm spelling at correctly) as it has milk in it already without the need of a separate pod and reminds her of what she used to have at breakfast in France.

I personally hate coffee, but the Choccocino and the Mocha are well within my tastes and I can't get enough of them!

But back to the machine:
Its great size, not much bigger than a kettle and so has no issues fitting on the work top next to the kettle. There is a red lead, but personally I don't really care so much, its hidden behind other appliances and isn't noticeable in my green kitchen but it does make it easier to figure out what plug you have it plugged into. The tank is huge, I can get about 3 or 4 large mugs of drink from it.

The beauty of this model is you can fit practically any sized mug under this thing. I was so worried about getting a model that we would have to buy special mugs for, but thats not a problem with this machine. Some types of coffee you'll only get half a mug with if you have too large of a mug but just double the number of pods you use if it bothers you that much.

In addition, if you do your research properly and look up people using the machines on youtube (as I did), you'll see in some models that you have to move the machine to remove the water tank for filling. This is not an issue with this machine, I have mine in the back corner of the kitchen and you can easily reach behind and pick up the tank from the back without needing to move the machine at all.

The only issue I have found recently (after 2 weeks of use) is that when the pods get left in the machine when you're in the a rush in the morning, that the lever to open the drawer a couple of hours later will get a little stuck. Not stuck as in I can't get it out at all but as in you need to lift the lever a little higher (it feels a little rough when you're doing it) to free the drawer. But that is our fault not the fault of the machine.
on 29 December 2015
This product is fantastic. For such a cheap price i didn't expect such a powerful machine. The machine is very easy to set up with the instructions helping you throughout. There is also a troubleshooting section for most problems that users may incur. In the package as well as getting the coffee machine you also get a handy bin to place your empty pods and you also get a starter pack of coffee capsules, which is great considering the price i paid. It is also very sturdy with a great build quality for such a low price. The machine is very good and is just what you would expect with a coffee machine. The main feature that i liked was that you can adjust the machine for different sized cups in terms of length which made it easier to prevent splashing. The water is also heated up in a matter of seconds which means you can quickly make a coffee. Overall the main advantages of the product is the price, the clear instructions and the handy accessories that come with the product. (It all comes with a £10 voucher for other Dolce Gusto products) The main issues i had with the product was with the price of the pods further down the line, they are far more expensive than a box of instant coffee. However this was the only issue i had with the product. To summarize;

The overall advantages of the product are;
. The price
. Accessories being included
. Easy set-up
. Great build quality

The overall disadvantages were;
. The price of the Coffee Pods

I would definitely recommend buying this product over other machines because of the amazing price.
on 30 May 2015
This is a really good coffee maker, easy to use with minimal fuss and not much mess. The pods are easy to use and the coffee is very nice. The only problem I had, was when I used it for the first time the instructions said to rinse the machine through before use. When I tried to do this it just made lots of noise but water did not come through. A quick phone call to their help centre [ which was in the UK] soon had the coffee flowing. It turned out that the water needed bleeding trough. This was achieved by lifting the water tank a little and then replacing it in quick succession with it turned on, which soon had the water flowing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2014
My heart sank when a family member gave me this as a present.

I already have a VERY good (and very expensive) espresso maker. Quite a while ago, after years of saying, "I'm not a coffee snob, but...", I finally came out of the closet and admitted it. I AM a coffee snob. I always ask for tea if I'm visiting friends, because I know that 98 times out of 100, their coffee will make me wince. I have a short list of places where I think the espresso is drinkable (Starbucks isn't one of them!)

So, imagine my predicament, to be given a Nescafe (NESCAFE for goodness sake!!!) machine. Just to add insult to injury, I had to act all enthusiastic about it so as not to hurt a loved one's feelings... A dark day.

Eventually, just to prove to myself how awful it really was, I used it. I had to forgo my usual, well-loved ritual of measuring out my special coffee, pressing it down with my specially purchased gizmo, heating up the machine, and making the coffee. Instead, I opened up a little drawer and popped in (shudder!) a 'pod'.

I used the 'Expresso' pod. It made the coffee suspiciously quickly. The word 'instant' even flicked across my mind. Yuck.

Sip. Not as dire as I'd expected. Not great, but not bad.

Then for the cleaning up. Hey! NO cleaning up. Take the pod out, throw it away, job done! I DID like that part.

Since then I've tried various pods. I'm still not a fan of 'Espresso', but IMO 'Espresso Barista' is every bit as good as an espresso I'd make myself - and considerably better than you get in a lot of coffee shops.

I'm shocked and stunned to say this, but I'm a convert. I love this thing. I haven't used my expensive machine since I bought this, and it even does stuff like impressive latte and cappuchino just as quickly and easily.

If you're driven by taste (and not JUST by pretension), I think you'll like this machine. I never, EVER thought I'd say this, but I can't imagine life without mine now.

I've only found one 'downside'. It's SO fast and so easy that I'm probably drinking WAY too much coffee these days!

HIGHLY recommended.
0Comment|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2015
I bought this about a week ago at a much cheaper price - £65 off and I am very pleased with it. The coffee was not as hot as I like but I have found that if I leave the green light on for a few more seconds then it is hotter than when I turn the handle right away. I was surprised that it wasn't the automatic one - which threw me at first but that is my own fault for not reading enough - but I am now much happier that it is manual as I find some coffee is bitter but by diluting it more it gives a better flavour for me - it all depends on how you like your coffee. I have found that you can buy bags of some coffee pods without the milk pods included - which makes it cheaper - instead I let more hot water run into the mug and add a little powdered milk that I prefer the taste of - this saves having to heat some milk separately. The one thing I am concerned about is the amount of rubbish it creates by using the pods as I do drink a lot of coffee and I much prefer the taste compared to instant. The reusable pods don't have good reviews. It is good to buy a bag of mixed flavours to find which ones you really like then look for the best price on them too.
on 9 May 2015
Love this machine was worried it would be a pain as its manual rather than automatic but to be honest if you keep using the same glasses/mugs and work out when you need to stop and change from one pod to another it's easy (I measured the amount using water first in a jug and poured it in the glass or mug so I could figure out when I needed to stop the lever). So far tried the latte macchiato and chococino and they're both gorgeous, don't like sugar in my coffee but the latte wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be which suited me, still going to buy the unsweetened latte from the dolce gusto website though. Drinks are lovely and hot, not piping hot like when you make a cup of tea but it means you don't need to wait to drink it. Very impressed and can see me using it a lot! machine also looks really smart in the kitchen:-)
review image review image
on 7 July 2015
Beautiful machine, simple to use & really good coffee of course!
review image
on 2 January 2015
This machine doesn't heat up properly every drink is luke warm also the container thay holds the water arrived with cracks along the bottom so leaks