NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Melody 3 Manual Coffee Machine by Krups - Black
Colour: BlackChange
Price:£71.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon 20 September 2012
Colour: IvoryVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Me and my wife and BIG coffee drinkers. It is the first thing we need in the morning. We have an 8 month old baby and coffee has been as much use to us as nappies and baby wipes!!!! :-)

I have had a Dolce Gusto machine for a few years, one of the earlier models. Now I did love it, however my gripe from it was it was quite noisy when you used it and the other big disappointment was the coffee wasn't that hot. The good news though is it looks life Krups have listened to feedback as they have now released this new model and it has become the perfect machine with 5*!

Firstly the machine itself is very stylish and looks brilliant in all kitchens. With the choice of colours you will find one that suits your own kitchen. It looks like an expensive machine and the build quality is fantastic. You will the tank with water, switch it on and the LED changes from red to green when it is ready to use. From power on to ready to use is less than 30 seconds. You then add the coffee pods (a small selection of free pods come with the machine!). The boxes of pods you can buy show you which pod to use first and how much you need to use of each pod. This is only relevant if the drink you are making requires 2 pods i.e Latte, Cappuccino require 2 pods that come in the box. 1 Pod is the milk, 1 is the coffee. The pods just slot into the machine below the silver handle, pull the handle down and switch the lever to the hot setting and away you go. Fresh, HOT coffee in a very short time. The quality is amazing and at long last Krups have made it so the coffee comes out very hot and the machine is much quieter than my old machine.

The boxes of pods are cose to four pounds for 8 x cups of latte's, but when you compare that to what Starbucks charge then it is well worth it as the quality of the coffee is fantastic. These machines are well worth the money and with so many varieties to try you will be using this machine all the time! Perfect now the weather is getting colder.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 April 2015
After looking for a coffee machine for a while I went for the krups melody 3 specifically non automatic as I wanted to control the strength of the coffee, by letting more water through. This is a great machine because it heats up quickly (about 20 seconds), I always let the hot water warm the cup first - which gives the machine heating system time to reach Max temp before emptying the cup of water and filling with coffee. I've bought £24 Quid's worth of coffee packs from the dolce gusto website, but because you get a voucher code for £10 with the machine this brought the cost down. I've also invested in a couple of storage solutions - one is a plinth + drawer which the machine stands on top of and this holds 36 capsules. The other is an upright turnable stand which holds 48 capsules. So that should be OK for a while. I use both milk and coffee pods and as an experiment I tried to taste the difference between normal homemade milk latte and a milk pod version. The difference was a slight sugary milk pod taste and the real milk was slightly creamier - but crucially the pod version was 90% as good as the real milk version. That's good enough for me. I also use long glasses with the machine, though the base where you place the glass can me moved up to fit the size and to stop any splashing of hot coffee. Though I've never had a problem with this. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this coffee maker - it's brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2012
Colour: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Pros:
This machine makes a great change for morning Starbucks coffee!. It is the best home coffeein MY EXPERIENCE. It is fast & energy efficient as it only uses the water it needs (normally just one cup for me), you can make coffee in less than 3 minutes! It is an enviornmentally friendly & clean. It doesn't nee claning really. My only advice is to use filtered water (with Brita or even cheap supermarket water).
Oh & it makes pretty good crema (the froth of coffee at top).

The Cons:
They use dehydrated milk which is rehydrated via water resulting in a watery milk & I do find that can be offset by putting some fresh milk at bottom of cup first. That is a way if fixing that problem & my friends all agree it is pretty good when I make it that way. However, I do wish that Nescafe would look into this. (perhap adding a tiny bit of cornflour to this to make it thicker).
Also, the pods can be pretty expensive (HINT: get them when they are on offer) espeically that you need to use more than one pod when youare making latte, cappucino etc (this is especially true when using their espresso shots for latte etc).

All in all, an excllent value for money machine! :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 February 2015
I bought this about a week ago at a much cheaper price - £65 off and I am very pleased with it. The coffee was not as hot as I like but I have found that if I leave the green light on for a few more seconds then it is hotter than when I turn the handle right away. I was surprised that it wasn't the automatic one - which threw me at first but that is my own fault for not reading enough - but I am now much happier that it is manual as I find some coffee is bitter but by diluting it more it gives a better flavour for me - it all depends on how you like your coffee. I have found that you can buy bags of some coffee pods without the milk pods included - which makes it cheaper - instead I let more hot water run into the mug and add a little powdered milk that I prefer the taste of - this saves having to heat some milk separately. The one thing I am concerned about is the amount of rubbish it creates by using the pods as I do drink a lot of coffee and I much prefer the taste compared to instant. The reusable pods don't have good reviews. It is good to buy a bag of mixed flavours to find which ones you really like then look for the best price on them too.
on 21 August 2015
We recently got one of these at work, and although not the exact same model it's close enough for a review of this one.

First off the good: The drinks are nice, it's easy to clean and fairly self contained. Which is nice.

And then the bad: The drinks are pretty small, on average about 210ml. Now for somebody who drinks from a teacup that might be fine, but as somebody who has used mugs all their life, it felt a bit like I was only getting half a drink (lets face it, i was)

also there are the after market costs. Primarily the pods. If you buy something like the americano coffee pots it works out at about 25p per drink. But if you buy one of the double pod drinks, such as the cappuchino, hot chocolate, mocha, (basically everything I'll drink) you get half the pods. (each box has 16 pods. But since you need two pods for a drink with some of them it's really only 8) so it goes to 50p per drink.

Cheaper than a coffee shop sure, but I've found instant hot chocolates that taste better, give you a full mug, and are cheaper.

So really those are my main gripes, portion size, and pod price vs quality. If you're a straight up coffee drinker, or don't have any of the fancier double pod coffees, this would probably be closer to a 4 star for you, if like me however you only like fancy stuff, you're somewhat down on your luck.
on 14 January 2014
I was given this machine for Christmas and love it.
In the box I got some free coffee pods to try and also received some more pods as extra presents so managed to try many of the varieties before spending my welcome money via the website on my fave variety.
There is a couple of downsides to this machine though, Firstly the coffee straight out of the machine is perfect temperature to drink, however if you need to add extra milk to any of the coffee's then it makes them too cold. I thought this would be a good way to save money, buy the drinks that only have one coffee pod and add my own milk but as I don't own a microwave this isn't an option (plus microwaving a coffee defeats the point of the machine.) You also can't buy the milk pods separate. Luckily there are plenty of varieties so easy to find one that's perfect for you.
The only other complaint is because this is now the older version of the machine you have to stand over it when making a coffee to ensure it only fills to the desired level. (the new machine knows how much water to use for the pod.)
This is only a little issue and as it takes less than a minuet to make a drink not really a massive issue, certainly quicker than boiling the kettle.

Overall im happy with my little machine. have had some very lovely coffee over the last few weeks and lovely frothy milk.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2014
My heart sank when a family member gave me this as a present.

I already have a VERY good (and very expensive) espresso maker. Quite a while ago, after years of saying, "I'm not a coffee snob, but...", I finally came out of the closet and admitted it. I AM a coffee snob. I always ask for tea if I'm visiting friends, because I know that 98 times out of 100, their coffee will make me wince. I have a short list of places where I think the espresso is drinkable (Starbucks isn't one of them!)

So, imagine my predicament, to be given a Nescafe (NESCAFE for goodness sake!!!) machine. Just to add insult to injury, I had to act all enthusiastic about it so as not to hurt a loved one's feelings... A dark day.

Eventually, just to prove to myself how awful it really was, I used it. I had to forgo my usual, well-loved ritual of measuring out my special coffee, pressing it down with my specially purchased gizmo, heating up the machine, and making the coffee. Instead, I opened up a little drawer and popped in (shudder!) a 'pod'.

I used the 'Expresso' pod. It made the coffee suspiciously quickly. The word 'instant' even flicked across my mind. Yuck.

Sip. Not as dire as I'd expected. Not great, but not bad.

Then for the cleaning up. Hey! NO cleaning up. Take the pod out, throw it away, job done! I DID like that part.

Since then I've tried various pods. I'm still not a fan of 'Espresso', but IMO 'Espresso Barista' is every bit as good as an espresso I'd make myself - and considerably better than you get in a lot of coffee shops.

I'm shocked and stunned to say this, but I'm a convert. I love this thing. I haven't used my expensive machine since I bought this, and it even does stuff like impressive latte and cappuchino just as quickly and easily.

If you're driven by taste (and not JUST by pretension), I think you'll like this machine. I never, EVER thought I'd say this, but I can't imagine life without mine now.

I've only found one 'downside'. It's SO fast and so easy that I'm probably drinking WAY too much coffee these days!

HIGHLY recommended.
on 21 September 2014
Bought this item on my daughters recommendation. It's excellent. Makes a drink at correct temperature quicker than you can boil a kettle. Great choice of pods. Wish I'd found this item earlier. I only have one coffee a day so it's satisfying that one is super delicious!
on 2 January 2015
This machine doesn't heat up properly every drink is luke warm also the container thay holds the water arrived with cracks along the bottom so leaks
on 9 May 2015
Love this machine was worried it would be a pain as its manual rather than automatic but to be honest if you keep using the same glasses/mugs and work out when you need to stop and change from one pod to another it's easy (I measured the amount using water first in a jug and poured it in the glass or mug so I could figure out when I needed to stop the lever). So far tried the latte macchiato and chococino and they're both gorgeous, don't like sugar in my coffee but the latte wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be which suited me, still going to buy the unsweetened latte from the dolce gusto website though. Drinks are lovely and hot, not piping hot like when you make a cup of tea but it means you don't need to wait to drink it. Very impressed and can see me using it a lot! machine also looks really smart in the kitchen:-)
review image review image