5.0 out of 5 stars High Street Coffee in YOUR Kitchen!
Me and my wife and BIG coffee drinkers. It is the first thing we need in the morning. We have an 8 month old baby and coffee has been as much use to us as nappies and baby wipes!!!! :-)

Published on 20 Sep 2012 by L. Calland

3.0 out of 5 stars It's really about the coffee...
No matter how good a machine is, it's all about the coffee. The Melody is very simple to use, and clean. It does lack an automatic dispenser - you have to turn the tap off when you think the drink is off the right quality.
But for me it is let down by the coffee. My family tried the sample capsules that came with it and got 2 hates straight away - sugar and the taste...
Published on 26 Aug 2012 by Keith Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars High Street Coffee in YOUR Kitchen!, 20 Sep 2012
L. Calland "Liam" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I have had a Dolce Gusto machine for a few years, one of the earlier models. Now I did love it, however my gripe from it was it was quite noisy when you used it and the other big disappointment was the coffee wasn't that hot. The good news though is it looks life Krups have listened to feedback as they have now released this new model and it has become the perfect machine with 5*!

Firstly the machine itself is very stylish and looks brilliant in all kitchens. With the choice of colours you will find one that suits your own kitchen. It looks like an expensive machine and the build quality is fantastic. You will the tank with water, switch it on and the LED changes from red to green when it is ready to use. From power on to ready to use is less than 30 seconds. You then add the coffee pods (a small selection of free pods come with the machine!). The boxes of pods you can buy show you which pod to use first and how much you need to use of each pod. This is only relevant if the drink you are making requires 2 pods i.e Latte, Cappuccino require 2 pods that come in the box. 1 Pod is the milk, 1 is the coffee. The pods just slot into the machine below the silver handle, pull the handle down and switch the lever to the hot setting and away you go. Fresh, HOT coffee in a very short time. The quality is amazing and at long last Krups have made it so the coffee comes out very hot and the machine is much quieter than my old machine.

The boxes of pods are cose to four pounds for 8 x cups of latte's, but when you compare that to what Starbucks charge then it is well worth it as the quality of the coffee is fantastic. These machines are well worth the money and with so many varieties to try you will be using this machine all the time! Perfect now the weather is getting colder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Alternative to Starbucks, 13 Oct 2012
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nescafe Dolce Gusto Melody 3 Coffee Machine - Black by Krups (Kitchen & Home)
The Pros:
This machine makes a great change for morning Starbucks coffee!. It is the best home coffeein MY EXPERIENCE. It is fast & energy efficient as it only uses the water it needs (normally just one cup for me), you can make coffee in less than 3 minutes! It is an enviornmentally friendly & clean. It doesn't nee claning really. My only advice is to use filtered water (with Brita or even cheap supermarket water).
Oh & it makes pretty good crema (the froth of coffee at top).

The Cons:
They use dehydrated milk which is rehydrated via water resulting in a watery milk & I do find that can be offset by putting some fresh milk at bottom of cup first. That is a way if fixing that problem & my friends all agree it is pretty good when I make it that way. However, I do wish that Nescafe would look into this. (perhap adding a tiny bit of cornflour to this to make it thicker).
Also, the pods can be pretty expensive (HINT: get them when they are on offer) espeically that you need to use more than one pod when youare making latte, cappucino etc (this is especially true when using their espresso shots for latte etc).

All in all, an excllent value for money machine! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 11 Sep 2014
Love this gadget! Was worried it might end up in a cupboard but we've had it for 9 months now and it is still in constant use many times a day. Good variety of drinks available at reduced price with free delivery direct from manufacturer or lesser choice from all main supermarkets. Never bother with instant coffee now as it makes such nice coffee and is so quick. Looks very funky on work top. Got this for a very good price and it is just as good as a friends which cost almost 3 times as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a coffee snob., 13 Jan 2014
Steampunk "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My heart sank when a family member gave me this as a present.

I already have a VERY good (and very expensive) espresso maker. Quite a while ago, after years of saying, "I'm not a coffee snob, but...", I finally came out of the closet and admitted it. I AM a coffee snob. I always ask for tea if I'm visiting friends, because I know that 98 times out of 100, their coffee will make me wince. I have a short list of places where I think the espresso is drinkable (Starbucks isn't one of them!)

So, imagine my predicament, to be given a Nescafe (NESCAFE for goodness sake!!!) machine. Just to add insult to injury, I had to act all enthusiastic about it so as not to hurt a loved one's feelings... A dark day.

Eventually, just to prove to myself how awful it really was, I used it. I had to forgo my usual, well-loved ritual of measuring out my special coffee, pressing it down with my specially purchased gizmo, heating up the machine, and making the coffee. Instead, I opened up a little drawer and popped in (shudder!) a 'pod'.

I used the 'Expresso' pod. It made the coffee suspiciously quickly. The word 'instant' even flicked across my mind. Yuck.

Sip. Not as dire as I'd expected. Not great, but not bad.

Then for the cleaning up. Hey! NO cleaning up. Take the pod out, throw it away, job done! I DID like that part.

Since then I've tried various pods. I'm still not a fan of 'Espresso', but IMO 'Espresso Barista' is every bit as good as an espresso I'd make myself - and considerably better than you get in a lot of coffee shops.

I'm shocked and stunned to say this, but I'm a convert. I love this thing. I haven't used my expensive machine since I bought this, and it even does stuff like impressive latte and cappuchino just as quickly and easily.

If you're driven by taste (and not JUST by pretension), I think you'll like this machine. I never, EVER thought I'd say this, but I can't imagine life without mine now.

I've only found one 'downside'. It's SO fast and so easy that I'm probably drinking WAY too much coffee these days!

HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the years but can honestly say this is the best one ever you actually get really hot drinks in ..., 14 Oct 2014
I have had loads of different coffee machines over the years but can honestly say this is the best one ever you actually get really hot drinks in seconds I love it bought two so if this one ever breaks I have another one ready had mine 8 months now I love it love it so way to use recommend it 100%

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not without flaw, 7 Dec 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Looks-wise, this cute machine is practically crying out for its own role in a Pixar film: anthropomorphisation? It's half-way there - with sections that resemble a head, body and feet. The machine is predominantly made from plastic. There's, a clear water tank (allowing you to keep an eye on the level of fluid remaining), whilst some of the more hard-used elements (the lid, the handle for the capsule holder, and the drip tray surface) are made from metal.

The machine takes hardly any time to set up, most components are already in place and simply need strips of security tape removed. Before first use, the machine requires a flush through with clean, cold water. This doesn't take long. For filling purposes, the water tank just lifts from the back of the device. Then, you're all set to make your first drink.

The machine is straightforward to use, with only a few steps required: fill tank, switch on, wait for a standby light to turn green, flick a switch to turn on water flow, allow this to reach your desired level, and switch the water flow back off. There's even an option to choose between hot and chilled drinks. The drip tray at the bottom is adjustable and can be clipped onto the front of the machine at three different levels to allow for differing cup/mug sizes while causing minimum mess.

Good though this is, it's not entirely without its drawbacks. For instance, whilst the pods themselves come with suggested measurements for the amount of fluid required to make the 'ideal' drink, this machine does not incorporate a measured dose system for water output (as e.g. Senseo, Tassimo or even Dolce Gusto Creativa machines do). Nor are there any kind of measuring guidelines on the water tank. Combine this with the fact that most cups and mugs don't include inbuilt measures, and there may be a bit of trial and error needed before you find a decent balance. The absence of an auto cut-off also means that you can't really afford to get distracted part-way through making your drink e.g. by a ringing telephone. And decaffeinated coffee pods - of any sort - aren't among the more widely available varieties: some of the pod styles available online include decaff variants... but these aren't always available beyond the Dolce Gusto site.

Handily, there's a box of 6 pods included with the machine, so you can try this out when you get it... though it's worth noting that this only makes up to 4 drinks, as 2 of the varieties (Latte Macchiato and Cappuchino) require both coffee AND milk pods.

PROS

- Attractive styling
- Decent size (the water tank holds more than enough for a couple of mugs of drink) without taking over your workspace
- Easy to use
- Pods are widely available
- Includes taster pods, allowing you to test out a couple of varieties before committing to larger boxes
- Adjustable height drip tray

CONS

- Pods are not cheap, and their plastic design does seem a bit wasteful
- This isn't a measured-dose machine
- Decaff. variants are harder to find

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and convenience, 19 Sep 2012
Keris Nine - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quickness and convenience doesn't necessarily have to mean a compromise in quality and the KRUPS Melody 3 coffee maker really is a quality coffee-making machine. Superbly designed and easy to use, the machine uses correct pressure techniques to make a proper coffee with pods that contain real ground arabica coffee, not instant. It's great as long as you are happy to be restricted to using Nescafé coffee.

The setting-up instructions aren't the greatest, relying on images with no explanatory text, but the pictures are easy to follow and once you've 'prepped' the machine before first use, operation couldn't be much easier. Fill the tank with water, switch it on, wait 30 seconds for the green light, inserting the pod and then let the water pressure push through coffee through. You have to manually control the flow of water rather than it being automatic - recommendations for measurements are given for each type of coffee, whether espresso, lungo, americano, skinny latte, cappuccino etc - but this gives you the choice and flexibility to measure a strength that suits your taste.

You are evidently constrained to drink only custom Nescafé pods, but there is such a wide range of drinks available in a number of varieties, roast flavours and strengths that you will certainly find something to suit your tastes. Personally, I found the quality and flavour of the coffee of the Nescafé pods to be ok but not great. Its espressos and americanos are good (I highly recommend the Dolce Gusto Barista Coffee), but the specialty coffees, cappuccinos, lattes etc. taste rather too artificial for my liking. These require two pods, one for the coffee and one for the milk, but although skinny options are available, most of these are slightly sweetened, which is unnecessary restrictive when you can easily sweeten to taste yourself by adding sugar.

The bottom line is that this is a quality coffee machine at a reasonable price. The only real drawback is that you can only use Nescafé products that fit the machine. Even if it ties you in to only buying and using Nescafé pods, it's reasonably good quality ground coffee, and there are plenty of varieties to choose from. If you want a little more variety in the brands - and there are much better coffees available - well, this doesn't have to be your only coffee machine, but you could find the convenience of this alone hard to beat.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... we had one at work and I was very pleased with it, 2 Sep 2014
I bought this coffee machine as we had one at work and I was very pleased with it . The only disappointing thing with this one is it now has a red cable which to me looks really stupid I did contact the makers as I thought it was a fault but no they tell me it is the new design, so beware when buying this machine as nowhere does it tell you that the design has changed . so you get a black coffee machine with a red cable !!!!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drinks, stylish design, 15 May 2014
We bought the smaller machine to try out the system first. That was good. So we upgraded to this machine, now it's great better build quality, larger water container, better looking. An altogether better unit. Very very happy with our purchase. And at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - get one today!!, 21 Sep 2014
Bought this item on my daughters recommendation. It's excellent. Makes a drink at correct temperature quicker than you can boil a kettle. Great choice of pods. Wish I'd found this item earlier. I only have one coffee a day so it's satisfying that one is super delicious!