5.0 out of 5 stars Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly
Published on 20 May 2012 by Jeffrey Hartley

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable
Unfortunately this product was somewhat unstable with the connection regularly stalling and having to reset. The stick itself was operating fine and in the same location plugged into a PC it worked flawlessly. I own other TP-Link products that are really superb, so this product was unfortunately a let down.
Published 13 months ago by fwdlink

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly, 20 May 2012
Jeffrey Hartley (Uk) - See all my reviews
We live in a remote place with terrible mobile and broadband coverage, also frequent powercuts which leave us with no way of contacting help. I hoped that buying this, I would at least have a connection to the internet via it and our netbook. I had a 3G dongle which was on the approved list for this router but the ISP (3) does not cover our location so I had the dongle unlocked and put in a Giffgaff sim which does cover us, what could go wrong? Well just about everything. Suddenly the dongle is no longer recognised. It appears it is only recognised when a 3 sim is in it which is useless to me. I do have one glimmer of hope, an O2 dongle which I'm told will work and I will see if it does.

Featurewise, this tiny box, 3" square has more features than some standalone routers costing 4 times the price. Other than the 3G, which I cannot use yet, it is an amazing piece of technology and the reason I still give it 5 stars. Used as an access point (AP) it is incredibly easy to use, just plug it into your router or network socket, set the switch to AP and you have wireless access with full WPA2 security. It comes with a power supply, mine was a european 2 pin jobbie so requires an adapter but units delivered from the UK will have UK PSU's I'm informed. I really am very inpressed with this little device, there is even an online community devoted to reprogramming it to do all sorts of other things and if my O2 dongle shennanigins don't pan out, I may have a look into doing just that.

So, CHECK YOUR DONGLE IS ON THE COMPATIBILTY LIST before buying, not ony the dongle model but the ISP (O2, 3, Voda) must match too and hopefully you will not be dissapointed.

Edit: Since writing the above, I've discovered that this router is very sensitive to which power supply you use. I had tried using a 7000ah battery pack used for powering and charging my iPhone which outputs 5v 1A but no way will the router work, neither will the 3G work when plugged into a USB socket but plug in it's own PSU and everything works as promised. Strange. I have a feeling that the addition of the 3G dongle is causing more power to be drawn and some internal protection circuitry or software prevents the router from activating the dongle. So, mystery solved and I'm even happier than I was before :-).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought to use with Huawei E3256 dongle, 14 April 2013
Bought this to replace the previous Version 1 MR3420 as the old version does not work with the new DC-HSDPA+ Huawei E3256 dongle from '3'. There seems to be a lot of confusion with listings as to whether the actual product received will be Version 1 or Version 2. TP-Link Support put me on to this exact listing and it is indeed the version 2. I should add that TP_Link support were very quick to answer my email queries.
A small problem I found which may help others is that the newer Huawei E3256 dongle is very reluctant to work when used with a 5m extension (as per my old set-up) and I managed to get this working by adding a ferrite core choke to the extension. There are no such problems when using my old Huawei E323 dongle. My internet speed with the new dongle has now doubled and is consistently around 6MB (yes appalling but I am only on one bar in a very rural location).
Very much recommended. Dual-band would have been nice but this is such a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, Signal Strength and Firmware Updates., 11 Mar 2013
After some initial confusion about firmware updates I was very impressed with this router. I would have rated 5/5 if it wasn't for the firmware issue as it's not mentioned in the manual.

Vote useful if you need a firmware installation guide, I have included below.

Compatibility - Purchased a 3 network (using in the UK) Huawei e353 dongle and it worked straight out of the box with no firmware updates. Had an old e1550 dongle by Huawei that I couldn't get to work, even though was stated on the TP-Link website that it was supported.

Signal Strength - I love in a large old 3 bed flat with solid brick walls between every room and I get full signal on my mac, and cheap £100 tablet in every room.

THERE IS NO INSTRUCTIONS on how to do a firmware update. So, for those people who have dongles that should be compatible with this device and cannot figure this out, here's how:

Download the latest firmware from the TP-Link site.

Save it to desktop for ease of access or wherever you please.

Plug in the router and connect to you're PC/Mac via the ethernet cable as described in the user manual.

Type the TP-Link IP address (192.168.0.1 is default) and enter you're user/account name and password (admin, admin is default).

Look down the left hand side menu and select 'System Tools'.

In this drop down menu select 'Firmware Upgrade'.

Copy and paste the location of the firmware upgrade you downloaded or select browse and locate the file that way.

Click upgrade.

VOILA.

Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK - Great little product and great price, 24 Jan 2012
This TP-LINK Router is a great little product, looks and feels a lot more expensive too. I've set up my office in garage at the rear of my house which yet doesn't have a landline. After reading up on 3G Routers I decided to take the plunge and go with the TP-LINK product. Once I received the router I followed the set-up wizzard, installed my T-mobile modem and hey presto up and running within minutes and this little router also allows me to connect to my Ipad and my desktop PC.

All my worries gone - Thanks Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the modem compatibility list CAREFULLY, 26 May 2014
I've bought this as a backup to my ADSL service. The router arrived with an EU socket power supply which I wasn't too impressed with, but hey ho, one plug adapter later and we're good to go. The GUI is fairly intuitive but was written by someone for whom English is not their first language. But there's a Setup Wizard that can get you up and running.

I ordered a Three E353 dongle to go with it, but the supplier sent me a more up to date dongle as the 353 has been discontinued. Sadly this dongle did not work. In addition, it is not on the published compatibility list from TP-Link. A lesson learned. I've since bought an E353 and a SIM card and - predictably - it worked first time. The last firmware for this router was over a year ago so I wouldn't expect new modems to be added to the support list.

So...find out what you need modem-wise and stick to it and you should be okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for connecting Android WiFi devices to 3G modem dongles, 6 Jun 2012
M. Willis (UK) - See all my reviews
Most 3G modem dongles cannot be plugged into an Android WiFi Tablet even if it has a USB port. This device gets around this by allowing any WiFi device to connect to a 3G modem dongle or LAN cable that is plugged into the MR3020. A USB power-cable and wall socket adapter is supplied, so as long as you are near a wall socket or a USB port you can use it.
On power-up the WiFi started but it was not connecting to my 3G modem dongle. Logged onto the router configuration [...] as saw it was trying phone networks one-by-one, starting in Singapore. Used the drop-downs to select UK and then my phone network (Three), saved the settings and rebooted and it connects quickly.
Then used the configuration to change the default login and username, SSID name and enable WAP security/password.
Also changed it from 3G ONLY to 3G PREFERRED (so it will try to connect to the internet via a LAN cable if the 3G modem is not plugged into it). Popped my LAN cable into it and it worked fine.
So I can now connect my Android Tablet, phone and Laptop PC using the MR3020 WiFi to either my 3G modem dongle or LAN cable network.
Good signal strength when it is nearby, as this sort of device normally would be.
Very useful - Small, light, easy to set-up and use.
Check your 3G modem dongle is on the supported device list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful and fast, 1 April 2011
Miljenko Williams (Chester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this router to set up an ADSL-type wireless connection using 3G in Spain. I needed an unlocked dongle to go with it and a SIM card to try it out before going over there. Along with this router, which seemed cheap, cheerful and fast, at least from its specifications, I bought an apparently untested dongle - the LM003 3G USB HSUPA Unlocked Modem - and a pre-paid 3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim.

I first installed the dongle directly on my PC, which seemed a pretty smooth process - and very soon was browsing at speeds almost indistinguishable from my ADSL connection. In fact, some process of optimisation seemed to be taking place - things definitely got faster the longer I was connected.

I then connected up the dongle directly to the router, and the router to the PC via an ethernet cable (included with the kit): this allowed me to configure the router to connect to the Internet using Three's setup details. Once I managed to work out how to do this, there were no problems with the router, the dongle in question or, indeed, in my area, with Three's reception. I didn't even have to update firmware. This dongle works perfectly with this router - or at least for me it does.

I am very pleased I decided to combine this router with the LM dongle. Both are sturdy and well-made - and I saved about 40 GBP on what the equivalent Zoom setup would have cost me. All I have left to do now is also to connect the router up to my ADSL connection, and I'll have a back-up Internet whenever one or other goes down. Yep. This router can do that too. Can't wait to try it out. In fact, I may need to leave it here - and buy another one for Spain.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote, edited and posted this review using all the above - with Skype, TweetDeck, Gmail and a whole host of other things running in the background!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like having landline broadband!, 26 April 2011
As one of the many people in the UK who can't function without broadband, I found myself in a panic when the prospect of moving house came around. With BT taking weeks to install a landline at my new flat, I decided to buy one of these to make sure I didn't go a day without internet!

After purchasing a usb dongle from 3 Mobile, I ran through the setup process and was online in under ten minutes. Reception in my zone 2 London flat is fine and speeds (to me) seem comparable to my landline+24mb broadband package. Downloading is a touch slower but all in all very fast for regular browsing. And everyone in our flat now shares the connection, simply by joining the WIFI network.

Couldn't be more simple and effective, and if it wasn't for the fact I download large files from the internet, I wouldn't even bother getting landline broadband installed!

5 stars, fantastic product.

(Incidentally I can recommend 3 Mobile to go with this product, after reading countless reviews saying they were slow and unreliable I have found them to be the complete opposite).

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job it was intended for, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: TP-Link TL-MR3040 Portable Battery Powered 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router (Accessory)
I bought this device on a whim, I have a Cam Ranger for my camera and thought I would get this as it is the same hardware, which costs the same as cam ranger were charging for an additional battery which this comes with. I can use it to charge a battery and swap over onto the cam ranger. also being slightly geeky I thought I might have tried configuring this as a spare cam ranger but this doesn't look straight forward so gave up on that idea for now.
Until a recent trip to London I didn't expect to ever use this for the function it is intended but stayed in a hotel without free wifi but with free Ethernet connection in the room used this little beauty to enable me to create a little wifi hotspot in my room and enable me to connect my devices to the internet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable, 13 Aug 2013