5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact iPod dock, CD and radio - great sound
Published on 19 Aug. 2012 by Zebrasoma

3.0 out of 5 stars looks good sounds good
Overall good quality sound and and verey easy to use - only problem was that first unit had to be returned as the CD player didn't work. Can't believe such a good design is let down by the tacky nail-breaking cover for the docking point - really fiddly - and liable to get lost once off.
Published 24 months ago by Helena Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact iPod dock, CD and radio - great sound, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Roberts Sound100 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod/iPhone walnut (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Bought this as a replacement for a Bose Wave radio/CD player and as a good quality iPod dock. The unit looks good and slightly retro with its wood trim. It feels very solid and well-constructed. Control panel is on top, but most everyday functions can also be controlled via the remote. The iPod connection is hidden under a small plastic panel just behind the control panel. The unit has a telescopic aerial for radio reception, but this can be unscrewed to reveal a co-axial connection for an external aerial if needed. It was very easy to set up straight out of the box- tuning the DAB radio was very fast. As an iPod dock it works with all our various generations, from latest iPod Touch back to second generation nano. CDs play well with all functions working easily - this seems like an odd thing to highlight, but our old Bose Wave was very temperamental in this respect, despite having been replaced under warranty due to CD player problems.

So much for the description - the really interesting aspect of this unit is the sound, which is extraordinarily good. The first point is that it fills the room well without you needing to sit precisely in front of it - again a contrast to the old Bose. Across a range of different genres, CDs deliver a nice rich, clear sound. Bass-heavy music is particularly impressive - very clean, crisp and well-resolved, far better than could reasonably be expected from something so compact. From iPods, the sound is probably about as rich as you can get. Radio is great too.

Overall, I would highly recommend this unit - and even better it is manufactured here in the UK! The only criticism I would give is that the headphone socket is on the rear of the unit which might be awkward if you use headphones a lot, but I guess this wouldn't apply to most users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value, 31 Aug. 2012
I had been considering the purchase of a combined radio/CD player/ and iPod doc for some time as we had accumulated various pieces of equipment over the years and a 'tidy up' was needed.

My first consideration was a Bose unit but the prices encouraged me to look around. I found a large selection of options in John Lewis with the result that I listened to and fiddled with many units at reasonable prices.

I found the equipment produced by Roberts to be of a superior standard in all respects and a result I looked to Amazon for the best price which they easily achieved.

Easy to use, great adjustable sound and a good sensible price. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Unit Superb Sound, 13 Oct. 2012
A. S. Cooper (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Ordered this on Friday night with next day delivery and it came on time and very well packaged.
The Unit looks stylish and is very easy to set up and use. The sound is superb and the controls and functions are very easy to follow. Easy to dock with i-pod and controls are easy to use.
Bought this to replace an old dab/cd/radio in the kitchen and the sound fills the room, I am already thing of buying a second unit for the bedroom.
If you are looking for a combination unit that has great looks, great features and great sound look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound system!, 7 April 2013
Excellent sound system. I'd rate the audio quality 10/10. Far superior to a Bose iPod dock I had that was twice the price. I play everything from jazz to heavy death metal and the Roberts does it all brilliantly.

Very versatile system thanks to the aux in and iPod/iPhone connectivity. DAB radio works great as does the CD player.

Remote works great. All very intuitive to use.

Can't recommend this product enough. My dad popped round and I had zeppelin on quite loud when I was cooking. He was so impressed he ordered one the same day lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Nov. 2012
I've had this a week now and I've found it to be excellent. I first saw it in a well known electrical shop for 249.99 and had they had it stock, I would have bought it then. They didn't so I checked on Amazon and not only is it cheaper I received it the next day. It looks like a Roberts should - classy. Sound wise it's excellent; it'll fill a good size room with a warm sound. The DAB radio part is crystal clear as is the CD player; and both simple to use. The IPod dock is nicely done and the system is infinitely quicker than my Pure Contour which - although I'm happy with it - has now been relegated to the bedroom. If you don't need to blast out a stadium, this is the equipment you want. The only issue is that I keep losing the remote down the back of the couch. But that's my fault, not Roberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound purchase, 29 Dec. 2012
I bought this on the recommendation of my son who had heard it in use in a friend's house. The quality of sound is outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoroughly Superb Piece Of Kit, 31 July 2013
I'll be honest. I didn't want one of these originally.

Indeed, I bought a Bose Wave III and was dead impressed with that beast until the insistent over-heavy bass had melted my brain after about 3 minutes. (And it wasn't just me. My wife, who has extremely acute hearing, could stand it even less). Stunningly the Bose has no user control over the tone . In fact, there are no tone controls at all- though it whacked out enough volume to fill a Jumbo jet hangar (not that handy in a 3 bed semi..). Anyway, I rang Bose and explained my quandary.

The Bose support chap was very understanding - I got the feeling that he had had to be understanding about this problem more than a couple of zillion times before... Anyway. It was a case of (a most polite) like it or lump it, Sir. And at the Bose price I was damned well not going to like it - so I lumped it back to them poste haste.

As an alternative I went for this Roberts unit - and am so very glad I did. It is chock full with facilites, plays like a dream and sounds absolutely wonderful. The DAB is razor sharp and the unit produced ample, controllable volume. Being priced at a fraction of the Bose only increases our contentment!

We are absolutely delighted with this machine - and no, neither of us works for Roberts. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feedback on the Roberts Sound 1000, 9 Oct. 2012
Wow - I swithered and swayed, read all reviews, and decided to purchase this product. I knew what I wanted from my 'boogie box' and this model certainly delivers. It looks GOOD, it sounds GREAT, the top buttons are easy to work, the ipod dock is a great addition too. But, the sound is brilliant - great value for money. I did, as others have written, originally think it had to be a BOSE... or nothing else. But Roberts is the perfect equivalent, at a third of the cost.

I highly recommend this to anyone wanting deep, clear sounds and a full range of digital radio, CD and ipod alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact sound system - love it, 12 Feb. 2013
My sister bought this system about a year ago and I found the sound amazing and kept thinking I should buy one. I wanted a compact system but with a good sound and I found it with this system. The sound is so clear I wish I had bought it earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars My brilliant new sound system., 12 Mar. 2013
After a few moments panic on receiving my new 'high tech' digital sound system, i took time to sit and play...... finding that it is so simple to use and holds so much of my favourite music at the touch of a button. If i want to feel part of the outside world , i just switch to radio, brilliant!!! A very good purchase.