5.0 out of 5 stars What do you expect
I have bought used and discarded many small devices. This time I looked for the full monte! DAB, FM and mp3 all in one. This frankly would be good at 3 or 4 times the price. ALL sound sources are excellent, (I use blaupunkt over ear noise cancelling earphones). Can't say anything else.............
Published on 15 Feb. 2013 by terrierted

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER.
Published 5 months ago by Mr John L Daniels

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you expect, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: DAB+ Radio, GMYLE® PPM001 DAB/DAB+/FM Portable Rechargeable Digital Radio and MP3 Player (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Preset Problems, 11 Sept. 2013
Exellent value for money. Slight problem with buttons standing proud of the housing so potentially liable to be operated in a pocket or similar. There is no 'hold' switch. Note comments about device being rather light - it is, but a lot of the weight of comparable devices is in batteries anyway, which this one does not have (not separate ones at least). However I like the weight as it works better as a jogging device for me.

The main point of this review was to help those that have the same problem I did, which is setting the DAB presets. You should do this NOT by pressing the M button and then selecting the presets from the memory. Instead when you have the station you want to set, press and hold the DAB FM button until the list of empty presets appears. Then select the one you want and touch lightly and quickly the middle on/off button. This should work but then is not 100% successful.

5.0 out of 5 stars GMYLE Dab/MP player, 4 Sept. 2012
V. Bedford (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
To say I am pleased with this radio/MP player is an understatement.
I was skeptical as the price was so reasonable and thought it couldn't live up to my expectations. How wrong I was? I loaded my songs and talking tapes onto the radio through the TF card slot and up they all came and as clear as a bell!! I then tuned the radio into my favourite station (Radio 4Extra). You don't have to worry about having to turn it round to get a clear sound. To make sure I wasn't dreaming I took it out for a walk. It is so light you can just put it into your pocket and off you go. You then have the world at your feet; music, radio and talking tapes. I can't praise this small player high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farmer proof!, 30 Sept. 2012
My cheapo mp3 player konked out and I needed a replacement. I was keen to have something that allows you to navigate to the track/album you want to listen to, and this does that (unlike the more expensive "well-known brand" Shuffle!). In fact, the navigation is just like moving through the folders on your computer. It also has a shuffle setting, but I prefer to listen to albums, so haven't tried it yet.
I was also keen to get something more than just a mp3 player if I could, and the DAB radio allows me to listen to Planet Rock, or the cricket on 5 Live Extra, rather than Boy Band FM when I'm weeding leeks or doing other repetitive work on the farm. It also has an FM radio.
Other reviewers have said that it has a "clunky" feel to the buttons. I guess this is true, but I don't find this a problem for my farmery fingers! The battery life is pretty good too. I haven't timed it, but you would have to listen to it all day to run it down. If you just listen for an hour or two at a time like me, then it won't let you down.
The only thing it would benefit from is a clip, but I knew it didn't have one when I bought it, so won't deduct a star for that.
So, all in all, a very good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER., 26 Oct. 2014
WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER. They do not believe that the sales of goods act 1979 applies to them. The Sale of Goods Act 1979, amended in 1994, say that when you buy goods from a trader they must fit the description, be of satisfactory quality - which includes lasting a reasonable length of time - and be fit for their purpose. If goods aren't of satisfactory quality you're entitled to compensation, which is normally the cost of repairs. The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods don't meet these requirements. They keep telling me to go to the manufacturer however the law is on my side and so I will be taking this matter further. The relationship I have is with the retailer and not the manufacturer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ... But ..., 24 July 2012
S. P. Magnus "hobbit_boy" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Good DAB Radio, which i need when in Hospital (FM just static hiss).
Annoying:- When you power up in MP3 Mode, it doesn't remember where you last played, either folder or track.
Tips:-
a) Use a good Class 10 Micro SD card ... or wait for music to load or the unit to hang up.
b) Load the Micro SD card using an adaptor from your PC. Using the supplied cable and adding tracks via the unit, PC estimated 4 days to copy 12 GB of Music ... Loading card through a card reader, took 3 hours.
c) Use a simple folder system to store tracks by type / artist. Don't have to many levels to drill down because it can't start from where you last played a track (defaults back to ... SD MP3 ... option on power up)
d) Use your own or new headphones, mine rattled and sounded horrible. But with good headphones sound is lovely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reception, sound good, but a few niggles, 10 Feb. 2013
A neat little item for what it does, but there are a few drawbacks. The main one is the lack of a button lock and as the buttons sit slightly proud it is easy to accidently change the mode when listening. I bought it to use when gardening so have to use soil-covered fingers to fish it out of a belt-pouch to return to the radio programme I was listening to. I have tried a few things to shield the buttons but it takes very little pressure to change the mode button especially; it would be better if the mode was changed from a menu, then it would require two actions to switch. Recessing the buttons or a flip down cover would work.
A niggling problem, but nothing too annoying is that the date and time in DAB mode resets every time it is selected to the year 2057 and not local time. Even manual resetting is overridden when it goes back to the DAB mode. It is reset to local time in FM mode. I have tried resetting the system but after reboot it does the same.
Also it would be a courtesy to include a memory card in the package or at least to point out that a separate purchase is necessary as one could order it at the same time.
I tend to listen to mp3s in shuffle setting so I have not tried navigating to specific tracks, but this would be be a long process with lots of tracks in the memory. It always starts on track one, but pressing advance button takes it to a random track.
I do like this item as it provides so much for the price. A bit more work should overcome the challange with the buttons, so time to reach for some empty cartons and the sticky-back plastic!!
Update: used a 50mm section of an empty adhesive tube, the sort that fits into an injector gun like silicone sealant or decorator's caulk. When squeezed the radio slips in and the buttons are covered, the soft plastic won't cause scratches.

2.0 out of 5 stars I regret this purchase, 19 Nov. 2014
I regret this purchase. Device was competitively-priced, is nicely styled, lightweight and the sound quality is very acceptable, but there are things about it which make it much less nice to use than I'd like. 1. The headphones that came with it weren't very nice - sound quality poor (replacements I bought work well with it) 2. You can't lock it on any chosen channel/volume, so channels/volumes change all the time when its raised buttons get brushed in my pocket. 3. I have never been able to get its battery to charge fully and stay that way for long before use - I charge it for hours and then only get a few hours use out of it before it conks out. I've never seen it stay on the full 'three bars of charge' or more than a little while after I've disconnected it from its charger 4. A preset DAB radio station that I had been listening to disappeared from the menu without me knowing how I had deleted it or knowing how to reinstate it. 5.It turns itself off automatically when you have been listening to it for a fairly long period of time (other reviewers have written about this in more detail) and you have to turn it on again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gmyle DAB MP3, 7 July 2012
At the price well worth it. I find it useful when travelling on the train. I don't believe there are many similar products that provide DAB radio. Pretty simple to use. The booklet states it will last 10 hours without charging, this is the one thing I haven't tested. The only gripe is the inability to fast forward through long mp3 recordings, if you're halfway through one day, you pretty much have to start all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good DAB and MP3 for the price of an MP3 player, 16 Mar. 2013
I wanted a small radio for my daily train commute. After reading the reviews for personal/portable radios, I bought this as a) it had DAB and b) it has MP3 and most importantly for me c) it's a good price.

Everything the other reviews say are quite correct:
- It is cheap feeling, but it is very light weight.
- The buttons stand out and can be accidentally knocked or pressed whilst in your pocket.
I've not tried the phones that came with it, as I already have some decent ones.

So far I have been impressed by this little gadget. It has certainly improved my journey to work. Reception is very good throughout my journey. The only slight degradation is under longer bridges.

Another reviewer suggested loading the MP3 via an SD card reader instead of via this. I agree with that. For some reason loading via this takes longer.

A additonal advantage of using the micro SD instead of internal memory is that you can have multiple cards with different collections on - say one for the kids' Disney tunes; one for the songs you're rehearsing for the local amateur operatic production and one for your favourite albums. Just take care not to lose them!

If you want a DAB and/or an MP3 player, you won't go wrong getting one of these.