5.0 out of 5 stars Through the looking glass
Amazing story! Definitely a must read for young children and even adults, instantly sucked into the story of Alice in wonderland.
Published 4 months ago by Eden Thirkell

3.0 out of 5 stars Another charming wonderland
If you have read Alice in Wonderland and are keen to read this next adventure, be advised that Carroll writes with entirely new characters. Whilst we still follow Alice on her adventure, I didn’t find the characters as loveable as in the first story.

Published 5 months ago by Sarah Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Through the looking glass, 22 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
I love this book - and having it available to be with me in this format is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good version for free!, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
It's always good to revisit this story. There are none of the illustrations you would expect with a hard copy but it's for free and for an e-book, so that's ok.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
Just as odd and fun as i remember, proving to be a great read for anyone and a welcome break from all other novels, whatever genre you enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-age classic, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
This is a sequel to Alice in Wonderland, and unlike most sequels it is better than the first. This time we are told right at the start that Alice is dreaming, and the interest of the dream carries our interest as she climbs through the mirror on the mantel-piece finds everything back to front.
The style is polished and the plot coherent as Alice travels across a chess board country with the aim of becoming a Queen. En route she meets a number of fascinating characters, and some of the best nonsense verse in the English language.
It is a child's book, but the quality of the writing and the concepts (Carroll was a mathematician) make it a good relaxing read for adults too.
It's nicely laid out and as a bonus it doesn't cost much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another charming wonderland, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)

This time we follow Alice through the looking-glass and she finds herself involved in a giant game of chess. Like the first story, the dialogue is witty: full of puns and literal meanings. I found this aspect most enjoyable but sometimes found these conversations a bit tedious. There is also considerably more poetry in this story so if, like me, poetry doesn’t set your heart racing, don’t be surprised if your mind starts to wander.

This characters in this story largely consist of the giant game of chess that Alice is involved with. Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum feature and I couldn’t help but picture Matt Lucas from the film adaptation. I think my favourite characters would have to be the knights. Such simple creatures who constantly fall off their horse, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for them, especially when it was clear they were trying so hard!

Through the Looking-glass doesn’t have quite the same level of charm as Alice in Wonderland‘ but I am still glad I read this. Carroll’s use of language is most entertaining, such as the ‘Jabberwocky’ poem and the arguments Alice has with so many of the characters, but I don’t think the story is quite as charming. To summarise, I don’t think you would miss out if you did not get round to reading this as I think there are far worthier books in the world that demand attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars A child's imagination, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
There's not much to say about this book other than that I loved stepping back inside the wild imagination of the author.

I loved the idea that it was all staged on a giant chess board... I loved the new characters we met and I loved how free it set your imagination.

As if being a child once more when anything was possible and playing "make-believe" was so incredibly easy.

I have to admit that although I loved some of the "poetry" in the book I did skip a few verses of some of them.

So glad that I finally got to read such a classic and I would definitely recommend that everybody who's anybody reads it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass | Review, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
If you've read Alice in Wonderland then you know what to expect - a lot more of the same. Through the Looking Glass makes use of many of the same literary techniques that make its predecessor so unique, but the same techniques are used in different ways to prevent the reader from getting bored.

It's a nice, short novel, structured to follow a set of moves on a chess board - well worth reading, but read Alice in Wonderland first. If you plan on reading this to children, you'll enjoy it just as much as they will, and the short chapters are the perfect length for bedtime reading.

If, on the other hand, you're like me and read on the way to work (and have a soft spot for children's books), you can get through it in a day - what's keeping you? Oh, and say hi to the red queen for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully weird, 19 Dec 2013
Mr. P. A. Burton "pablab" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as a child and it confused me then as much as it did this time around. But, what a fantasy it is, and wholly innocent and enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably should have read it as a child, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Through the Looking-Glass (Kindle Edition)
I think I may have become too much of a 'grown up' before my first exposure to this book as it became a slog to achieve the read rather than an enjoyable experience.

Through the Looking-Glass