Bought this for my kindle a few weeks ago. Apart from the added bonus of being free, the book itself is very good!
If I'll be honest, I found it quite a hard slog in places ( as the previous reviewer attests), but if you pull through you'll be left feeling like you have just read a real classic.

The story itself may seem a bit dated and predictable for...
Published on 14 Dec. 2010 by Jonathan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read
As this is a public domain book, it is free, so you really have nothing to lose by getting a copy and having a browse if the title piques your interest.

Published 15 months ago by SBno1

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid offering for those into fantasy and historical fiction., 14 Dec. 2010

The story itself may seem a bit dated and predictable for 2011, but acknowledging this book came out in 1860 before any of the modern day equivalents did and it must have seemed quite refreshing!

The kindle edition was also almost faultless. The paragraphing etc was great, just a few spelling mistakes that you could easily miss!

Overall, I would rate the book as 4/5. It is hard to read and takes a while to complete, but worth it, especially if you enjoy the kind of medieval heroic genre this basically started!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good book, 2 Dec. 2010
I love the tales of King Arthur and the kindle edition puts them all in an easily accessable format and for been a free e-book it is well worth getting!

My only fault is that sometimes the old fashioned language may be a bit difficult for some people to read. Other than that, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard graft but worth it, 28 Jan. 2011
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This book, as others have said can be a bit of a slog, but stick with it, it's worth it. I really enjoyed it as a find stories like this throughly entertaining and I liekd being transported back in times to a period of heroic acts and struggle. Ultimately the book is free so give it a go you've lost nothing if you don't like it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read, 30 Jan. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

I started reading this a good few months ago, but kept hopping back and forth reading a bit at a time. I don't normally do that with a book, but I just found it a bit difficult to read as the way it is written is still a bit old world and at times it felt like I was reading something biblical. You have to expect this from a classic book written in the 1800s and if you are not used to it, it can be quite off putting.

The book has many characters that you will recognise by name, but the tales may not be what you have come to know from modern tales, TV shows and films.

Given that this is free, you won't feel ripped off if you don't get on with the book after the first few chapters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 27 Jan. 2011
Quite a difficult book to read, the language was hard to get round and I felt the story jumped about a bit, but I felt compelled to read it as I enjoy tales of King Arthur. Overall, the book was hard going, but a fairly good story, but I was quite glad when I had finished it though! Shouldn't complain as it was free!

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing take on the legends of King Arthur., 2 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
Written in an easily digestable format this book is an ideal bed time book and together with Sir James Knowles' descriptive narratives is bound to transport the reader to times gone by.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights (Kindle Edition)
A very romanticised and sanitised version of the legends - even those that I remember from childhood. Written for a Victorian market, it has not aged well at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for, 2 Nov. 2013
C. R. Williams "rockinhepcat" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've been looking for a traditional tale of King Arthur and have been very dissapointed with most of my purchases, but at last I've found what I've have been looking for.

There's no hollywood thrill here, just historic reference and the legend.

1.0 out of 5 stars pretty much. I'm not sure I remember when I ..., 11 Aug. 2014
sashaknits (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have this affliction. If I start a book, I HAVE to finish it. All my life, pretty much. I'm not sure I remember when I last (or ever) didn't finish a book. Until now.

All my knowledge of the Arthurian legends is hearsay or pop-culture interpretations, so when I bought a Kindle and saw all the classics I could get for free, I jumped right on this one as a chance to get some more "original" references to King Arthur in my cultural experiences. Oh, how I wish I hadn't bothered.

Firstly, the writing. It's abysmal. Complete stream of consciousness rubbish. Knight X went here. He met this person. They fought to the -death. He met this woman, she was beautiful. He helped her. She was grateful. On and on and ON in this vein. 100% tell and 0% show.

Secondly, the knights are all arrogant, judgemental pricks. E.g. Knight X sees 4 men chasing 1 man. He immediately assumes that the 1 man is in the right and the 4 men are in the wrong. Without asking anyone involved why the chase/fight is even occurring, he beats the other 4 men to a pulp to save the lone man.

Thirdly, the knights are all thick as two short planks. All any knight has to do is wear the armour of some other knights and when he then meets his closest bosom friends, they have no idea who he is.

Fourthly, the women are all completely one-dimensional and exist only to be saved (such beautiful damsels!) or to be saved from (evil wicked sorceresses!).

I could go on, but I won't. I forced myself to get just over half the way through and simply could not go on. I suggest you never even give yourself the trouble. Go watch BBC's Merlin and enjoy the slashy subtexts, historical it may not be but at least it's FUN.

4.0 out of 5 stars 19th Century mythology, 29 Oct. 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There can be few people in the UK that would not recognise the character of King Arthur; it seems to be embedded in the national conciousness, and this has been re-inforced by various programmes and films that have been around over the last 30 - 40 years.

It's not known for definite if there ever was such a person as there is no actual historical evidence for a "King Arthur". If he was real, it would seem most likely that he lived during the Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain for which there are very few written records. However, the book uses much from the period of chivalry which occured from the time of the Middle Ages; the grades of nobility, use of arms, the concept of jousting, none of which would have been around until well after the likely period of Arthur's reign. The book also uses a form of "olde English" that the Victorians probably thought sounded authentic, but would have been unintelligible to the people of the Middle Ages, let alone the Dark Ages.

Having said that, the book is well written although extremely flowery in its use of language. It draws heavily on other Arthurian mythology and is at least consistent throughout. Probably a bit too difficult for some children to read on their own, but as something to share, it could be useful to get their interest in reading.

I have actually enjoyed reading it, although I can't help highlighting the obvious historical inaccuracies!

The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights