I remember having this book read to me at school and all the class were rapt and couldn't wait for every Friday afternoon for the next installment. The love of this book has grown as I have grown older and each time I read it, I find something new and more delightful in it. How I long to sit in Badgers comfortable home or watch the river go gliding past whilst at Ratty's house. Even Moles little home is charming with his little skittle alley. Toad Hall didn't impress me much as a child and still doesn't but who can't love the bumptious and rather silly Toad? He maybe rash and naughty but at heart he is a loveable chap.

This book simply doesn't date and the descriptions given of the river and the herbage and of the Wild Wood are superb. Probably my favourite chapter being Pagan, is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'. Ratty and Mole are swept along without oars listening to music coming from they know not where until they find themselves on a little island and there they find a certain special someone plus the Otters son who has been missing for some time.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for children and adults alike............it simply transports you to a quieter, nicer time and makes you feel all 'squishy' and happy inside.
on 10 June 2002
This has to be one of the best play scripts I have ever read! I personally had the honour of playing the part of Moley in an amatuer production of this script and, looking back, it was one of the best parts I have ever played. This script is crammed full of comedy, though it does seem to pass by some people. I am sure that I myself missed many of these clever and topical jokes. One of the cracker lines which comes to mind is "The lady on the barge is the barge lady". An example of one of the topical jokes is when the weasals are beating up Moley and howl out, "We don't like little black animals." This script is very, very clever. While it will pass childrens eyes as harmless yarn of the English countryside the adults will get entertainment from the hidden jokes. Along with this script there goes a score of beautiful music. One thing which may worry other amatuers is the set requirments. For example a punt, a barge, a horse drawn cart and even a train all take a part in the story but this script is written in such a way that the audience are almost sub-consciously forced to use their imagination. I recomend this to those who love to perform or even to those who just like to read.
on 20 January 2013
Best book I've read for a while. It is very good and well written. I would recommend this to anyone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
on 24 October 2012
I give this book 5 stars, not only because it was a much-loved book from my childhood but also because I have enjoyed reading it as an adult and studying it at university. Most importantly, this edition does include chapter 7 - 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.' I was unaware until I began research for an essay on this book, that some editions leave this chapter out as it can be described as 'jarring' with the rest of the text. I found this chapter to be some of Grahame's best writing which takes the reader beyond the familiar woods and rivers of The Wind in the Willows to something greater. It is certainly a memorable part of the book. If, like me, you are purchasing this to study then I would say it is very important to get an edition with 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' in it. If you are dubious about the layout or quality of this, being a free kindle book, don't be! Great to have so many classics free on kindle.
on 27 October 2013
There aren't enough STARS to indicate my love of this book!
"The army all saluted
As they marched along the road.
Was it the King? Or Kitchener?
No. It was Mr. Toad.”
What better words to describe the endearing self-absorption of Mr. Toad. Perhaps, having seen the film of this book, one forgets the amazingly wonderful description of NATURE, the plants, the river, the woods, the animals, the scenery, the seasons & so forth minutely described by the author. And the film missed out the little otter protected by the god Pan altogether! Of course Edwardian mores entered the book too. The Class System was obvious. Ratty middle class, Toad upper & silly. Mole aspiring. The weasels & stoats definitely below the salt! Still, andere Länder, andere Sitten. Everyone should read — or have read — this book. My two most favourite books — read many times — are The Wind in the Willows & Clochemerle.
on 1 January 2013
I read this as a boy, now many years ago!

Taking the opportunity to read again on KIndle..

The characters are still really strong and I suspect we'd all like to be like Toad on some days. A good read for all ages.
on 25 February 2013
I had loved the film (1983 version) and the TV series whilst growing up, but whilst looking for some free Kindle reads, it occurred to me that I had never actually read the book as a child. I loved how the characters managed to come alive, and you manage to forget that they are animals.

This is not just a story for the young; it is for the young at heart too. There is something so simple about it that makes this a wonderful read and took me to a different place for a few hours. Highly recommended if you have not already read this and want something that takes your mind away from it all for a while, or if you have been considering giving the classics a go, then this will be a gentle breakthrough into that genre.
on 15 August 2013
This book should be required reading for all children (and all aspiring authors). The first few paragraphs alone are worth the asking price, and more. Kenneth Grahame's lyrical prose has been enjoyed for decades and his characters remain as endearing as always. Mole, rat and toad all take over the point of view of the story at some point and are all wonderfully rounded and beautifully described actors in this hugely entertaining story. If I was going to be picky (and I suppose I am) then I would have to say that the chapters about otter's missing son and the sea-faring rat do not really advance the plot in any way, but who can criticise Mr. Grahame for exploring his make-believe world just a little more. Poop-poop!
on 28 April 2013
It is a classic childrens' book so you can't use poloitical correctness to rewrite history although elements of New Labour* and their ilk have tried to.

Lovely middle class story for middle class people who sent their kids to school where sadistic teachers thrashed them with canes.

When this tale of middle class animals was written, my ancestors, who were coal miners, lived in overcrowded poverty. I wanted to strangle the amoral Toad and considering the privations of the working classes of the period when Milne was writing, the abundance of luxury foods for those up the pecking order was hard to take.

*My descendents were all decidedly (old) Labour.