5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Garde
Published 18 months ago by abbieh

3.0 out of 5 stars Childhood dream
I thought I had read this book as a child but seems I was mistaken. I quite enjoyed it but it was rather sanctimonious and rather too good to be true. I suppose people wouldn't behave like this nowadays.
Published 18 months ago by dupressa

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Garde, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
I read this book many year ago when I was in middle school, and was absolutely delighted when I was looking through Amazon's free classics available for kindle and found The Secret Garden again. Just remembering the words from so long ago bring back the amazing evocation of spring, joyous excitement and new growth - a perfect read for the new year, I felt. Any book that can elicit that much excitement and thrill just through the memory of it has to be an amazing story - and it is in the Classics section for a reason.

The Secret Garden is one of those wonderful books that are written for children, but are still just as enjoyable for an adult as you go back to read it in later years. I don't think it's just about rekindling some of the childhood memories, the book is so captivating and full of Magic itself, that you can't help but feel that you are completely caught up in the children's' secret, and feeling the spring time growing up all around you. The characters for the children are written perfectly, with the innocence of behaviour and circumstance written so that you feel sympathy for them, not frustration at their bratty and spoilt behaviour. I love all the broad Yorkshire characters, from sweet Martha to the worldly 12-year-old Dickon - Burnett is able to describe the Yorkshire Moors with such clarity and wonderous effect that I defy anyone to not want to book a week up on t' moors, or create their own magical garden full of flowers and plants and birds and creatures.

The book also holds something which I think is important for adults to understand as well. Through the growing of the garden and the development of the children, Burnett describes the importance of positive thinking - through either Magic, religion, or whatever you believe in, it 'du na matter' what its name is. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason, trying to remain positive, and making your own things happen for yourself. This is a great thing to instill into children, but a lesson that we can all take as we grow up and begin to come across the uglier things life can throw at us. Lost jobs, broken relationships, dreams seeming to struggle to get off the ground; The Secret Garden shows how some fresh air and a decent outlook to work miracles, and I guarantee that reading this will give you a fresh, exciting view on life and what you can do with it.

I'll leave you with a line from the book that near broke my heart with its wonderful aptness:

"Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow."

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetic, innocent and gentle story about life and death., 23 July 2014
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
I first read 'The Secret Garden' at school. I recently read the book again and was taken directly back to those dusty classrooms. Bliss.

I'm surprised at how easy it was to enjoy the novel as an adult. Such an appealing story. The children, Mary and her sickly cousin Colin, are perfectly created and a wonderful blend of surly, moody and unhappy. It's easy to feel empathy for them locked away in a dark, old house though at times they do act like spoilt brats. That is until the magic begins.

The 'law of nature' is the magic within the story. Nature sweeps away the old, the dead, and makes way for new growth, new shoots. It's the emergence of a beautiful Spring after a dark Winter. As sunlight sweeps right into the hearts of the children they are changed forever and slowly uncover the hidden beauty within 'The Secret Garden'.

There's a message inside the story though we're quite closed off to it these days. It's a message for children to hear and be guided by and it's a very simple one; with the right mental attitude Spring will always follow Winter so long as you engage with the world and work towards it.

The Secret Garden runs to approx. 308 pages and is still one of the most popular classics for very good reason.

3.0 out of 5 stars Childhood dream, 11 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic., 30 Aug 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
I've lost track of the times I have read this book and it never fails to enchant me.

The description of poor sullen little Mary stuck in India all alone after everyone has died sticks in your mind and when she is taken to England to live with her Uncle she finally meets up with someone who is even more truculent and sullen than herself. However, along comes Dickon with his animals and his 'magic' and things then start to change for the better for both Mary and the invalid Colin.

The descriptions of the moors, the flowers, the animals and the wind 'wuthering' are simply beautiful, so much so that you begin to feel you are actually becoming part of the story and part of the book.

Utterly 'unputdownable' and highly, highly recommended to both children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
Great book..easy to read. Great story line for all ages..recomend to everyone who wants a simple story for bed time reading..

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
this book took me back to my childhood, at 43 I still want to find a secret garden like this

The Secret Garden