4.0 out of 5 stars first consulting detective
As a fan of Conan Doyle's work (not just Sherlock Holmes, but the Professor Challenger Lost World stories too) I have a large number of books and audio versions of his work. Some of them are great, some are good and some are absolutely awful - this, however, is one of the better ones.

Once I had managed to get past the initial "Cadfael is reading Sherlock...
Published on 20 Feb 2011 by Su

3.0 out of 5 stars How could he kill off Sherlock???
This was to have been Conan Doyle's last set of Holmes tales but as we know now due to fantastic public demand he was brought back from the dead to live another day and solve three more volumes of cases.

Conan Doyle had wanted to kill off Holmes and concentrate any more "serious" writing projects:

"I must save my mind for better things," he wrote to...
Published on 4 Mar 2011 by David Spanswick

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Audio Edition Of A Timeless Classic, 16 Mar 2011
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This superb audio collection contains 11 tales from The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. These stories were originally published in 1894, and have been well-loved by many ever since. The collection is missing one of the original 12 stories, 'The Adventure Of The Cardboard Box' which was published in the original printing of the U.S. edition, but not in the London edition. The removal of the extra tale is widely thought to be at the request of the author himself, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who upon reflection decided that the subject of adultery should not be present in a tale which is accessible by children. Most British editions still stick by this request and so, it appears, does this wonderful audio collection. It is a little disappointing to own the set without the extra tale, but it is in no way detrimental to the enjoyment of this edition.

This collection is narrated beautifully by Sir Derek Jacobi, who puts great expression into each of the characters voices. The choice of narrator really has been well thought through as Jacobi brings life to these tales in such an adept manner; as only a truly gifted actor could. The collection has a running time of just over 9 hours, and is spread across 8 CD's in a compact case. There has been mention of the packaging, and yes it can be a little fiddly getting to each new disc, but I think it is preferable to the alternative of a bulkier package. It certainly was useful for our family to have the collection in a neat little package, so that it is easily transported to the car or wherever we wished to listen to them.

Overall, I cannot recommend this product highly enough! The stories are still up there with the finest ever written, and this audio edition is an absolute joy to listen to. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, no thrills but well read ...., 13 Mar 2011
MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sir Derek Jacobi does a fine job of bringing these tales to life. Some may find the absence of sound effects, other actors etc off putting and I must admit I thought I would too.

But Jacobi really gets inside the role and makes it so believable that other sounds would probably just shatter the make believe world so well created.

I do think you need to be a fan of mysteries and/or Victorian times but other than that I'd recommend this 100%.

The packaging is minimal but 8 CDs represents very good value.

Good value, well read, great creation and diverting stories that you don't have to bother reading yourself!

What more could anyone want?

Give it a try....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful narration of classic Holmes, 1 Mar 2011
James Walls (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly for the price this is an exceptional amount of Holmes for the buck

I have a lot of audio Holmes in my collection now and if i'm honest I do tend to prefer the dramatisations rather than the narration style which this is, however, when the narrator in question is Sir Derek Jacobi then you know you are onto a good thing.
His reading style is exceptional, and the nuances he adds to Watson really (in my opinion) develops the character.
The sign of a good audio book is whether, even knowing the story so well, you still get the feeling of freshness with it which I certainly did, and even picked up on one or two new things which had me seeking out my written version as well.

Spindlegate (as most other reviewers have stated) is quite a bad design flaw, but to be perfectly honest I put these straight onto my computer, so as long as I can get them out of the spindle at least once then I'm ok with it. Perhaps that is why they are doing this design a bit more, they know that a lot of people are just going to put it onto their digital library and be done with it
Quite annoying that a lot of the stories are split over 2 cd's which to me does seem lazy and confuses iTunes slightly but there are ways around this

Anyway, here are the stories, all complete except "The Cardboard Box" which is a shame as it was one of my favourites, but I'm sure it will appear on another collection

Silver Blaze
The Naval Treaty
The Final Problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious cases solved by Sherlock Holmes, 1 July 2009
Marek Mularczyk (London, UK) - See all my reviews
For people who are fans of Sherlock Holmes, this is another great book full of fascinating stories. Once you start reading, you will read for hours wanting to find out what's next.
Absolutely amazing book! And great reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reading by Derek Jacobi, 27 Oct 2011
artemisrhi "artemisrhi" (Forest of Dean) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until the recent TV adaption I have always steered away from Sherlock Holmes I never thought I would enjoy it, but I love listening to these readings. I was really sorry when I got to the end. They are well read, Derek Jacobi is amazing; he makes everything colorful and easy to understand. I loved listening to him as much as I love the stories. They are all quiet short - sometimes I could guess right, sometimes they had a fantastical twist but they were a complete pleasure. I am not sure whether I would have enjoyed reading them as much I as I enjoyed listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hats., 18 Aug 2011
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suppose any Holmes fan when seeking audio Sherlock must decide whether they want to hear the characters interpreted by actors and the pulse of he story or Conan Doyle's florid prose. Jacobi's reading combines both and they're a treasure and a joy. About the only criticism I may have is the splitting of some stories across half of one cd and half of another which sometimes breaks up the flow of the story. But that's a churlish criticism considering the quality on offer.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Something seems to be missing Holmes.', 8 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like Derek Jacobi, he is a fine, and eloquent, actor. This compendium, however, is not, in my opinion, the right vehicle for him. Unfortunately the rather run-of-the-mill stories sucked a vast amount of life from the narration, this was compounded by images of Basil Rathbone, and Jeremy Brett entering my head to vie for the role throughout the duration of the collection.
I find that I must agree with another reviewer for whom Derek Jacobi's plangent tones were insufficient to create the personalisation of the multiplicity of characters.
Also, I share the bemusement of other reviewers when struggling with the splitting of stories between discs, most strange, but an apparently cost-cutting device which appears to be on the increase in the audiobook genre. Patently, I shall have to revert to the written word, what can compete with the riffling of pages? Neither audiobook nor Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Delight..., 24 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was really the perfect pick-me-up treat for a cold and incredibly miserable winter's night's listening. Nothing on tv (not quite sure why we bother with the license fee anymore) so we decided to give these recordings a whirl, and once started, one story just wasn't enough! We listened into the wee small hours, right through to my personal favourite of them - The Musgrave Ritual. Derek Jacobi is quite simply an absolute genius, and the way in which he manages to not only feed atmosphere, menace and tremendous subtlety into his narration, as well as nailing every aspect of characterisation, is really spellbinding. This little box (rather unattractively packaged, must be said) was a real joy - amazing that you can be so transported out of space and time and totally entertained by little more than the powers of a first class actor reading the work of a timeless storyteller. Save these for a really horrible night, sit down by the fire, get yourself a big mug of tea, a couple of thickly buttered crumpets and something (or someone) squidgy to cuddle up with, and enjoy! Certainly beats the bloody X Factor by a few squillion country miles...

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful BBC, 17 Mar 2011
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The BBC once again comes up trumps again with their audio drama. The masterstroke this time is having Derek "In the Night Garden" Jacobi doing the narration. He really does have such a soothing voice and his skill in this department really drags you into the story. As others have noted, this isn't a play, it's just a straight-down-the-line reading and that's fine. It's easy to concentrate on the story and you aren't distracted by superfulous sound effects.

Marvellous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Holmes, pure class, 24 Feb 2011
D. Salmon "domski1969" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As other reviewers have said, you get an awful lot for your money here and some classic Holmes' tales like the nail-biting "Greek Interpreter' and the legendary battle with Moriaty "The Final Problem".
In times when audio books are constantly adding bells and whistles such as big casts, FX etc to give perceived value, it's refreshing to hear these tales told straight. I've read Holmes dozens of times, but this collection really does add a new dimension to familiar tales.
Of course it helps having an actor of Jacobi's calibre, and his performance throughout is note perfect and flawless. I seriously could not imagine anyone doing any better! He is like the audio equivalent of Jeremy Brett's TV portrayal, definitive.
If you are a fan of Baker Street's most famous resident, you simply have to have this set.

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes