Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 September 2012
I have been meaning to put finger to keyboard about this for a couple of months: and at least part of the reason for the delay is the amount of time I have spent lost in the actual music. For this is deeply immersive stuff.
I had the first version of White Lunar and loved it so much I had to buy this updated offering with the extra disc of earlier recordings. The quality of the latter makes the pain of the repurchase more than bearable.
Cave and Ellis's soundtracks are wonderful things. I was never a big fan of the often erratic Bad Seeds or the abrasive Grinderman, but while elements of both can be found in these recordings the emphasis is generally on restraint. And as mood pieces go, these offerings rate very highly indeed. Too many soundtracks rely on flacid ambience or twee piano balladry, but there is none of that here.
Whether challenging or calming there is a consistency of atmosphere, melody and quality that is quite astounding. It all hangs together like one studio session rather than a collection from several. You simply have to own this.
on 26 September 2009
There's no need for long words, or long paragraphs here. This double album is an absolute masterpiece. Not one note out of place. 35 tracks, mostly instrumental, just occasional vocals here and there, that weave in and out of one another, bringing the feel of moonlit nights, cold, misty mornings, technicolour sunsets, autumn evenings and the feeling of your heart pulling into the wind.

I wish that everything I do in my life could be done to the sounds of these two discs, just rolling round the inside of my head like a smooth, mellow whisky.

If this album doesn't make you feel sad, pensive, enriched or moved then you are dead inside.

This is one of the best albums ever released.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2009
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis make beautiful, wonderfully haunting music and this double album is a perfect introduction to it.

It has a slightly limited appeal to die-hard fans, because they'll end up with a pretty much redundant disc 1 when the full soundtrack to The Road is released. For completists it's a must for the previously unreleased material, but as is often the case, you'll end up paying full whack for only a few tracks you haven't heard.

For me it's worth it because the music that Cave & Ellis create is so beautiful, and their output so lamentably small, that anything new is automatically a must-have.

In fact, I'd say to anyone less familiar with their work who buys this and falls in love with it, that the soundtracks to The Proposition, The Assassination of Jesse James (and no doubt The Road) are worth owning in their entirity. And while you're at it, you may as well get hold of everything by Dirty Three (Ellis with two others, but without Cave), which is very similar in style.

Personally, I'd also recommend everything by The Birthday Party, Cave & The Bad Seeds, Grinderman and the 'Death of Bunny Munro' audiobook soundtracked by Cave & Ellis as well, but maybe that's going to far. I'm reviewing one album and telling people to go out and buy dozens more. But in my opinion Cave is an awesome talent (he wrote the screenplay to The Proposition too), and Ellis is a wonderful composer and musician (and the main musical impetus for these soundtracks).

So yeah, musically five stars as always. Four simply for the fact that, as a fan, you always end up having to buy the same song twice. There's always iTunes I suppose...
on 26 February 2013
a haunting record, very glad I bought it, @ Cd's of amazingly thoughtful music, I love all Nick Cave is involved in.
on 2 October 2009
A strange album in that it takes the best from Jesse James and the Proposition OST- no bad thing and then it adds 6 tracks from the forthcoming The Road (the tracks have me dribbling over the prospect of that one.) Then there is a disc of unreleased stuff which is equally as good.

The music is absolutely 5 stars but I wonder who the collection is aimed at. I already own both the soundtracks above and assume a full soundtrack to the Road will be released also. Still, if you don't own any of this music and you aren't a mindless Chav then you owe it to yourself to listen to this wonderful and haunting music.
on 27 November 2009
I'll spare the words... beautiful. The jesse james soundtrack is awsome, this pieces of music are even more.
Strong advise: Give yourself a treat this christmas: buy it.
on 3 October 2013
Had this album set for years and only recently watched the Assassination of Jesse James. Enjoyed the film, but it doesn't make best use of this soundtrack, and some cuts are plain criminal. Hard to pick a favourite on these albums, because the whole blends and flows so well. But with the thrumming base across the ticking clock theme, and its abrupt end, Moving On is simply magical.
on 3 May 2015
One of my favourite albums of all time. The first disc is mostly gentle, elegiac and beautiful. The second disc is mostly more raucous. I play the first disc more, on balance, but they are both great. Hard to believe that music of this excellence comes from the same creative partnership that gave us the thoroughly dreary Push the Sky Away!
on 19 February 2014
Bought for my husband at Christmas. He loves Nick Cave and I was trying to find a CD he didn't have - not easy! This is a compliation of music written for films. My husband was very pleased with it.
on 16 March 2016
if you're a fan of NC, you will chill to these reflective (mostly instrumental) tracks. warning though...Murder Ballads it ain't!