on 1 July 2012
No exaggeration to say this is the best motorcycle book I've read and I have a shelf full of them. A totally absorbing and well constructed story. You feel like you're stood in the Isle of Man listening to the racers talk and watching the racing. Even someone not interested in motorcycles will be hooked by the intensity and drama of the story. Life affirming and mad, thank god for the TT and this excellent record of why it acts as such a magnetic to racers and spectators a like.
on 20 July 2012
Ok - bold claim, but I have read pretty much all of the books ever written about the TT. This book, I believe tops them all. The writing is almost poetic in its approach. You can almost feel the passion oozing from every chapter as the author conveys the main protagonists (Dunlop, cummins, Martin & mcguinness).
It charts the 2010/11 Races and interchanges between the 2 very well. Each of the races are covered, though rather than have a blow by blow account of the race in commentary format, the text is well written enough to maintain your interest whilst egging you to read on.
I really was impressed by this book. It even charted a number of facts about both the riders and the race itself that I had not heard of before.
An excellent read; one which I feel any bike fan must read. Even if you have no interest in this great sport - read this regardless!
0Comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2012
John McGuinness, Guy Martin, Michael Dunlop and Conor Cummins may not be household names to rival stars of football or formula one, but they are legends in the world of TT racing and on the Isle of Man.
Rick Broadbent's intelligent book follows the four men through the thrills and near-death spills of the 2010 and 2011 seasons. It is not simply a starry-eyed account of pit stops, podium finishes and petrol-fuelled bravado, but, as befits the TT, a grittier look at the racers' lives, their terrible injuries and the impact the sport has had on their families and loved ones.
If you want to know how much courage, skill and determination it takes to climb onto a motorbike and hurtle past telegraph poles, dry stone walls and stray cats at 200mph, then That Near-Death Thing is essential reading. And what makes it even more fascinating is that the heroes of this book could not be further removed from the glitz, glamour and mega bucks of Formula One. The men who bring the crowds back to the Isle of Man ever year spend the night before big races kipping in lock-up garages, under awnings on camp sites and in the case of Manxman Conor Cummins, in his bedroom at his Mum and Dad's house in Ramsey. They are ordinary men capable of extraordinary feats and this book is a chance to read their fascinating stories.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2012
As a very keen enthusiast of the IOM TT for at least 50 years,this book is probably the most intriguing insight into what the riders go through during TT fortnight.Exceptionally well written and unputdownable.Rick Broadbent is to be congratulated on his ability to capture the spirit of the TT.
on 12 November 2012
If you're a fan of the TT and have watched 'TT:3D' a handful of times then this book is for you.
It covers the same years' TT races as the movie only obviously in more detail.

The interviews the author had with John McGuinness in particular were my favourite parts of the book. Considering I hadn't seen this book advertised anywhere I was very pleasantly surprised with it and if there were ten stars I'd give it a full ten.

It goes into my top three favourite books without a doubt. I'll try not to use the old cliche "I couldn't put it down" but it rings true as I finished this book in record time.
That's not to say it was short, anything but. I just really enjoyed reading it and I'd highly recommend it.
on 7 September 2012
As an annual visitor to the TT I was curious enough to read this book albeit with limited expectations. A lot of bike books i have read to date have been average. This however really grew on me, the characters followed are very different, the contrast between Guy Martin and John McGuinness really add depth to the pictures of the racers involved

Highly recommended
on 14 June 2012
Just finished reading this on my return from the 2012 TT. Really interesting read and good to get to know a bit about the riders we have been watching charging round the Island. Would recommend to other readers to try and get out to the Island to experience the racing for real, even my five year old son is hooked.
on 15 October 2012
Brilliant book, definitely worth the money, you won't be able to put it down! A must for any road racing fan!!
Simply put this is the best book or to be honest any other written format that I've read regarding the TT races. It gripped me from the second I picked it up until I finished it in the second reading session. If you want to find out about the TT racers and what they actually think then this is the book for you because it really allows the modern greats to expand on their lives and their thoughts about the TT.

All of the big names are in this book - McGuinness, Martin, Antsy, Hutchinson etc. They approach the whole racing game in different ways and without giving too much away you will warm to riders that might not have as large a profile as others.

What this book really does well is get under the skin of the TT road races in a way that I've not read anywhere else. So much so that I've already gathered up some mates to go and visit the next years races. The TT really is special and in 2013 a throwback to an era where men were men and political correctness had not been invented. It's no lie to say that the TT would never be allowed today if it had not already been in existence for over a hundred years.

If you are reading any of these reviews then you must have some interest in the TT. If you do then this is the best book by a country mile I've read about it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2013
Having read numerous motorcycling biographies, some tending to be rather shallow lists of race results, I stumbled across this title via another review.
Not being familiar with the author I found it insightful, well written and knowledgeable. Despite the fact most reader with an interest of the TT will know the outcome of the seasons (is 1 week a season?) featured, it doesn't detract. Recommended
I'm now keen to check out the authors other titles.