Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 5 January 2013
Firstly I don't care if this film is historically accurate...anyone who goes to see a film with 'Vampire Hunter' in the title expecting historical accuracy is an idiot in my opinion.
This is a great, absorbing, action-horror with some very clever interweaving of established historical facts. I found the entire film to be excellent entertainment from start to finish. I watched the 3D blu-ray and I can say that I was very impressed with the 3D - there's very little in the way of ghosting and the amount of depth perception is impressive. Thankfully, the director never goes for the 'Oooh, that's 3D' shot of things awkwardly being thrust towards the screen; instead favouring the technique of staging shots with a lot of fore, middle and background detail - although I will say that the burning embers during the train sequence really did seem to 'come out of the screen'.
All performances are strong, but of special note is Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who manages to make Mary Todd Lincoln a very sympathetic and rounded character despite her limited screen time - most notably during her breakdown when she slaps at Lincoln.
The vampires are, thankfully, of the horrific scary variety rather than the beautiful, glittery type and this film benefits greatly for that. Masses of teeth and bad skin are the norm for these vamps and I found them a joy to watch.
Having watched the film twice in as many days I can honestly say it's a really great piece of escapism and one to watch many time over. Is it going to tax your brain? Probably not; but it should entertain thoroughly!
on 29 August 2014
I stumbled upon this film thinking it was Spielberg's Lincoln. Thankfully it was not. This film has greater emotive depth and tense action sequences than (I am told) Spielberg's Lincoln has.

I would say that this film is generally very realistic. The only place where it deviates a little from believability is when one of the vampires throws a horse at Abraham Lincoln. While I do not question the strength of the horse-throwing vampire, the physics of horse flight is probably not accurately portrayed.

I think the film will appeal to those who are not very pedantic and are willing to overlook slight inaccuracies in the trajectory of a horse that has just been thrown by a vampire.
55 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2012
I have just watched this film. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is very entertaining and full of action, from start to finish. OK, so it may not be very historically accurate and some liberties are taken with that, but the constant action more than compensates for that. It is reasonably violent and very gory, so young children should not be allowed to watch this film. The acting was generally very good and it flowed very well and did not drag at all. A lot of the action is produced with the help of a lot of CGI, but it was done very well and did not really look fake at all. I did not manage to see this film at the cinema, which I regret, but I am glad that I caught it on DVD. Four stars from me!
on 21 March 2013
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is an odd mixture. From mayhem specialist Bekmambetov, I was expecting a silly but fun action drama set during Lincoln's youth. What I didn't expect was this decades-spanning effort which makes the odd decision to blend silly supernatural hijinks with serious historical fact - like crossing 'Buffy' with a historical biopic.
While it adds a distinct flavour of the unusual and gives the film some individuality, it also slows things down and grants it an odd, occasionally inappropriate feeling of mocking deadly serious historical events.
However, as the lead Benjamin Walker is capable, if a little bland. Dominic Cooper outshines him for charisma by a New York mile, and Rufus Sewell is deliciously evil as his vampiric nemesis.
The action is frequent, although oddly unimpressive in several scenes. However, the initial confrontation with a vampire, a visually extraordinary horseback pursuit, and an early face-off between the arch enemies are extremely impressive. While not as flat as similarly toned historical supernatural actioner 'Jonah Hex', and no classic, this is still a fun, and occasionally very cleverly written and entertaining film. Worth a watch.
on 19 June 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable, totally barmy film! I watched this in 3D and the vampires certainly do leap out at you in their toothy gory glory, so do try to view in 3D if you can. The plot roughly follows Lincoln's life from a young boy up until his time as president, but there are plenty of deviations into the vampire-infested undergrowth along the way - this shouldn't work as the idea is totally barmy, but it is brilliantly done and a pleasure to watch. I enjoyed it far more than the likes of Van Helsing which I found quite dull by comparison.

Benjamin Walker was ok as Lincoln, but I think the role really needed someone with a bit more gravitas. His guide to the vampire world, Dominic Cooper, was very good, though and very convincing in his role. But Rufus Sewell stole the acting credits with his smouldering portrayal of the intensely evil and intimidating master vampire.

Well worth a watch - and I'm now looking forward to the next in the series, which could (should!) be "Winston Churchill - Vampire Hunter" in which Young Winston leads the Kaiser's vampires a merry dance in the years leading up to, and including WW1 ;-)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 December 2012
When young Abraham Lincoln angers a man (who happens to a vampire), the man takes his revenge by killing the boy's mother. Lincoln then dedicates his life to finding vampires and killing them with his silver-tipped ax.

I really enjoyed this movie. Yes, it's horrifically gory at times, but the clever mix of fantasy and true events is very well done and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. We follow Lincoln from store clerk to the White House. The movie isn't playing for laughs, it's utterly serious. I actually found it more entertaining than Daniel Day-Lewis' "Lincoln."

The title had me expecting a cheesy, low-budget slasher, but the production values are high and the special effects are excellent. The acting is also very good; Benjamin Walker plays a convincing Lincoln and Rufus Sewell is truly menacing as his nemesis.

This is a surprising, clever story that includes just enough historical facts to make it almost plausible. A lot of blood, but still recommended.
on 13 February 2013
Some good graphics, and scenery, but the story line and flow is very poor.
At the end of it, I thought - what was the point behind that.
Watch it and make up your own mind.
Bought this one for the ultraviolet so that I could download it and watch it on my kindle fire - that bit was fine, but I've deleted it now because its not a film I would watch more than once.
on 28 June 2012
If you go to see this movie with the expectations of an accurate portrayal of Abraham Lincoln's life/presidency, re-read the title of the movie, kindly slap yourself and then save yourself some coin. If you're going into this expecting a two-hour action film with more than enough axe-twirling, vampire-killing shenanigans AND you can take some historical inaccuracy on the chin, then I highly recommend this movie.

The movie is fast-paced, full of gore, packed with jump-scares and edge-of-your-seat fight sequences. It does not take itself too seriously, and neither should you. Go admire the cinematography, the CGI effects, the acting talent, and just enjoy yourself. Not the perfect action film - some characters were a little too shallow for me. The feel of the movie however was great, and the social-commentary is cleverly tied in with the film's plot.

Four stars. ****
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2016
Very different from the usual vampires one against another, exciting to watch so sit very still and you wont be noticed. Blood thirsty creatures roam the U.S. making its very own domain. Now Abraham Lincoln has other ideas so who is going to win this battle well you'll have to watch to see the outcome. I'm not really into vampires but this held my interest so I rated this an A grade plus for the storyline and the actors playing their parts in true profession. Creatures verses mankind sounds good but better watching from the sideline. Fantastic from beginning to end with fast paced action and thrills you wont want to miss anything so try to relax in your chair, hold the popcorn very tight for a spooky night in with a fabulous movie and great entertainment waiting to start. Enjoy!
on 15 February 2015
Spectacular and sometimes beautiful photography ? Yes. Good story ? No. Not exciting and the climax is silly by any standard especially when you know the hero can't be killed off because we all know how Lincoln died. It makes Indiana Jones look realistic. If you want to make a vampire film it has to be complete fantasy to work . Using a real person in this way makes no sense
So many people were killed in one of the bloodiest battles in history - a real battle. Why trivialise it in this way ? It all seems an excuse for mindless violence. Clumsy.