4.0 out of 5 stars A Driver's Eye View, 16 May 2014
This review is from: A Journey on The Isle of Man Steam Railway (DVD)
I'm not a frequent purchaser of railway DVDs, so I don't have a great deal with which to compare this. Enjoyed it, certainly. Three cameras are used on a trip behind No 4 Loch: one on top of the cab (giving a wide angle view of the landscape ahead), one in the cab (showing the footplate crew at work) and one immediately behind and to the left of the engine (providing a wide-ish side view). A better day could not have been chosen: it's sunny, crisp and the foliage has yet to burst out, ensuring superb visibility. The commentary (which, before playing the DVD, I had misgivings about) was informative, interesting and - most important of all - voiced competently and appealingly. I can't find a credit for the commentary, but he did a fine job. My only real criticism - hence the four star rating - centres on a lack of aerial footage and shots from the lineside of the train passing by. I guess this was down to budget limitations. The main bonus feature, 20 minutes about all the railways on the Isle of Man, does have both, however. Overall, a laudable effort and worth recommending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely wonderful, 22 May 2013
This review is from: A Journey on The Isle of Man Steam Railway (DVD)
As someone who loves the Isle of Man, and visits it as often as possible, this DVD was like the proverbial manna from Heaven for me. The people who maintain and operate the island's trains (which are well over 100 years old in most cases) deserve the utmost respect, and this is an ideal showcase. Filmed on a perfect summer's day, the beautiful scenery is augmented by a quietly spoken but extremely informative commentary (even I learned some new facts, which surprised me). There's also the option to watch with no commentary, and a couple of lovely extras. The whole package serves to fill the viewer with a golden glow of peace and nostalgia. It's absolutely gorgeous. After watching it I bemoaned the fact that there wasn't a similar DVD of the Manx Electric Railway, as the section from Douglas to Laxey is my favourite journey of all. Then, to my immense joy, I discovered that such a DVD DOES exist, and I ordered a copy immediately. Lovers of all things Manx, I recommend you to watch this delightful little gem.

A Journey on The Isle of Man Steam Railway
A Journey on The Isle of Man Steam Railway by Creative Imagineers Ltd (DVD)
Used & New from: 11.99