on 2 August 2012
The Panasonic DMP-BDT120 may be a basic model, but it's Performance is anything but basic both in terms of audio and visual picture quality.

This is a new model for 2012 so is bang up to date in the technology department. I have a good variety of Blu-ray DVD's and this machine played them all, not like my last 2008 model LG player that seemed to have a mind of it's own and only chose to play the ones it liked despite correctly installing the latest firmware into her!

If you use your head the Panasonic DMP-BDT120 is also available in multi region flavours from some retailers and will give you even more flexibility regarding the annoying (and stupid) region disc code restrictions.

This machine has everything a film buff could reasonably ask for by way of feature adjustments and it can of course be connected to the internet with all the benefit's what that brings these days.

This model even has a SD card slot as well as a USB slot and you can easily upgrade the figure of eight power lead if you wish as it is detachable and not of the annoying captive type.

Thank you Panasonic for giving us a big bang for our hard earned buck!
88 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2013
Panasonic DMP-BDT120 Black Smart Network Blu-ray Disc Player-Multiregion For DVD Playback + Sony 2M HDMI Cable Included

I was pleased that we ordered the BDT120 and received the BDT130. I was a bit irritated that I hadn't done my research well enough - it says '3D WiFI Blu-Ray Player + MULTIREGION DVD PLAYER' - I expected the wifi to be built in - but it is an add on that you have to purchase separately. They could have made that a bit clearer - the dongle for wifi is £48 so if you need that then I think it would be better to buy a player with it built in. The description could have managed my expectations a bit better on this point but it is not really a concern - it has an RJ45 socket on the back to hard wire your broadband router in.

The remote is okay - bit plastic and light but does the job.

Anyway the good news:

It arrived very quickly - two days and was well packaged.

It worked straight out of the box, the HDMI cable they include is top quality with gold connectors so that pleased me and worth the extra £8 on the price that others are charging for this unit.

They explicitly say 'MULTIREGION DVD PLAYER' which suggests it will not play multi-region Blu Ray disks - well we have a few USA Blu Ray disks (the only ones we have) and it plays them perfectly.

I think it would be better to purchase the Panasonic DMP-BDT230EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black (New for 2013) for £99.99 which has 'wifi built-in' - I didn't realise that you need to explicitly look for that term.

So overall an okay purchase and have given it 5 stars as it is not their fault I didn't do my research well enough. If wifi is of no interest to you then it is a very good buy and throughly recommended
44 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2012
When it comes to Audio/Visual Panasonic products generally do have that edge of quality.

Getting to visuals this player is brilliant I have 'Test Driven' it.

It produces images faithful to the source. I watched the movie 'Safe House' on Blu Ray projected onto a 106" Screen. Absolutely fantastic. Other brands have failed for me to produce the clarity, detail and dimension and overall waow factor.

The PHL 'Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory' technology implemented does the trick and I also view via a Panasonic projector. I believe they actually work with people in the Technical end of things in their demo room/lab with Hollywood boffins and even Directors to work towards their approval of images that their products can produce.

The Audio is also excellent and this doubles as a great CD Player as it's quick and responsive.

The networking is also great with Netflix and BBC iPlayer.

My test drive has led me to buy the BDT500 as it will suit my unit better and also look a little classier but the platform of technology is there and it's the higher model in the range.

It's hard to believe that this player is the entry model for Blu Ray/3D given how it performs exactly as claimed for about £115.

The BDT-120 is a budget yet full quality Panasonic product to get excited about. If you want a Blu Ray player with 3D Playback on a budget or not, don't consider any other brands IMO they won't cut the mustard like Panasonic!

Ps. It's claimed to be Wi-Fi with an additional Panasonic Dongle, however it worked right away and applied updates when my TP Ethernet Adapter (Homeplug) was plugged in (upstairs and wireless). It streams iPlayer and Netflix without any problems.
on 7 February 2013
Great value for money, quiet in operation, easy to use, gives fast loading even for Blu Ray. Great picture on Blu Ray, upgrades standard DVD's to 720i so that they too are improved. I have a Panasonic (DMR EX78) DVD Recorder in use which is put in the shade by this machine.
The 'Smart' functions are rather limited but, via direct connection to my modem, it is easy to set up automatically and has no problems giving the access to its minor Apps supplied.

Try it, you won't be disapointed unless you want a load of installed Apps.
on 21 August 2012
In looking for a DVD blue ray player, comparison sites were consulted to get to know those products that were highly regarded. In coming across this product and purchasing it, I have not been disappointed. It was easy to set up and use, and gives an excellent picture.
on 4 January 2013
I bought this player in the sales and it only cost £73 plus postage, it replaces my elderly Sony blu ray player which seemed to be taking a long time to start playing the newer disks? Setting up was easy connecting it with a hard line internet connection hdmi and digital optical cable from my AV amp. Switched the player on and was impressed with the menu screen, logical and easy to select the many options available, initially I left the settings as was and put on my Prometheus blu ray and sat back to enjoy, the picture was very very good for such a basic player very well defined and accurate colouration on my Sony LCD tv, however when the dialogue started I was horrified about the distortion on the center speaker, it sounded like someone was speaking through a paper bag it was terrible! So, I went into the settings and tinkered, happily I discovered by turning off the secondary sound and selecting the setting which utilizes the original audio off the disk, boy what a difference, the sound is terrific now with acurate 3d placement which totally blows my old Sony player into oblivion!

Changed some other settings for the picture, the one I chose was the cinema setting, however I found this too dark and set it to the shipped setting (still going to play around though).
It has some useful net functions too like netflix I-player you tube etc etc, the remote has nice big buttons for the main disk control functions too, something my wife struggled with with the old Sony remote.

Unfortunately I do not have a 3D T.V so cannott comment on its abilities in that respect.

All in all I can not recommend this player highly enough, you get a lot of bang for your buck, even if you have to pay the full price!
Edit as of the 26th may 2013, it appears for some reason that the BBC i-player no longer recognises my player? Not sure why?
Edit on the edit! A firmware update has cured the problem with I-player.
on 16 February 2013
I purchased this as a replacement for the mac hating Samsung BD-E6100 which replaced an old Panasonic bd75. Whilst being wifi compatible it comes at a cost. £40-£60. This is a far better player in terms of blu ray playback and sound quality than the samsung. I have not upgraded to 3d tv as yet so cannot comment on that aspect. Cosmetically a sleek black box looks really great.
on 16 February 2013
Just set this up and these are my observations so far

I do not need smart tv side of it so only dealing with playback,usb and sd card slot

3D playback on my samsung 32" 6030 3d tv is amazing,really cristal clear picture,watched a 3d blu ray on ocean life and was surprised how far fish,dolfins etc came out of the screen and sound too is great, so no probs there

I was very pleased at first to find that it played my videos shot on my canon compact cameras SD card in the SD slot but then noticed it did'nt play sound,the same card in a reader played in USB port was the same NO Sound but the video picture was 1st class in both ,I am sure there must be something I am not doing or have not set up properly thats causing this (Any suggestion gratefully received).
will have to get in touch with panny helpline in the meantime.

I also found the remote very easy to use and navigation around the various areas so simple to follow , response time can sometimes be just a bit slow but nothing major.

I really like this unit and once the sound problem sorted I will be very pleased
on 14 March 2014
Well, yes, it works, and works well, the 3D is great, but I rate it low because whenever you have to stop and turn off, in the middle of a box set collection for instance, it looses it's place on the disc, and it has to start over from the beginning. Its fine if you can watch a film all the way through, but I am going to get a replacement as soon as I can afford it, as I watch a lot of series type programs and it annoys the hell out of me, My old Sony DVD player will even remember its place on several different discs, so it's not a difficult thing to do
on 17 March 2013
Bought this for my Dads X-Mas gift he loved it. Plus (in my case) it can play any region of DVDs (dvd region free, blu ray region locked to B)

Cannot fault this product, suits my needs and them some!