5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific
I dont know Metric at all but loved the cover and thought I would check a tune or two out on you tube. On the basis of what I saw, I ordered the album and it arrived today.

Published on 27 Jun. 2012 by Mr. Samuel Memour

3.0 out of 5 stars A more commercial offering
First of all thank you to Mr Dodds for his comprehensive review but this album failed to impress me. That's not to say it isn't a good album, just that Metric didn't go in a direction that impressed me.
Overall the album is good and very listenable but I missed the clever lyrics of earlier efforts ('Any speed on your knees is crawling' - brilliant) and being...
Published on 25 Jun. 2012 by PJ Rankine

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 27 Jun. 2012
Mr. Samuel Memour (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)

So, I have no idea whether they have changed direction, or how it compares to their earlier work, but I love this album. My 21 year old son just came in and wanted to know who was playing and is now speading the word.

It's great guitar and synth power pop with a bit of attitude. If you like the Yeah Yeah Yeah's you will love this.

Pretty safe to say I will be checking out their earlier stuff too. I hope its as good as this.

Update 09/07/12: Just ordered their entire back catalogue as went to see them live at the o2 in Oxford last night and they were amazing......how on earth are this band not huge ??

5.0 out of 5 stars Synthetica!, 25 Jun. 2012
Mr. A. Dodds (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I've been eagerly awaiting this album since it was announced, so I was very pleased when my copy arrived a couple of days earlier than the release date and I've had time to give it a few listens. After the rather not-so-radio-friendly lead single 'Youth Without Youth', I was interested to see where the band had gone with their fifth album. It's certainly quite different, but at the same time, recognisably Metric.

The other track revealed before the album's release, 'Speed The Collapse', is much more of a traditional Metric track than 'Youth Without Youth' was, in fact it would have sat well with the tracks from previous album 'Fantasies' quite nicely. However, many of the other songs are an evolution of the sound the band were developing on 'Fantasies'. There are more synthesizers this time around which is to be expected given the title and themes of the album. Rather than buzzing leads like those found in older tracks like 'Dead Disco' and 'Gimme Sympathy' they tend to be euphoric pads which work really well with the rhythm guitar section laid under them.

My personal favourite track is the title track 'Synthetica', a pacey rock tune that is a good candinate to be a single. I love how the synthesizers come in just as Emily Haines sings 'Hey, I'm not synthetica' in the chorus, I felt it was a nice touch. I also love the ballad-type track that comes directly after it, 'Clone', with twinkly guitar and xylophone in the background. Lou Reed collaboration 'The Wanderlust' is another good track, although Lou Reed himself sounds strangely out of place, though I can't put my finger on why.

My favourite vocal performances from Emily are on the tracks 'Breathing Underwater' and 'Lost Kitten', the latter of which has quickly become a live favourite from what I've heard.

The album does have one or two minor flaws in my opinion, but they're nothing that would detract from my five-star rating. I feel the opening track 'Artificial Nocturne' could have done with being a heavier when the song kicks in but it's something I've quickly gotten used to and it doesn't really bother me anymore. Like I mentioned earler Lou Reed's vocals do sound a bit odd contrasting with Emily's but I'm fairly sure I'll get used to that too as it's such a good song anyway.

In the end, I'm definitely in love with this new album and the new direction the band have gone in. They obviously weren't afraid to mix things up a bit and it shows in this great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 8 Feb. 2013
Remi (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I found this band by chance whilst flicking through music channels on TV.
Bought Synthetica on the strength of that and love it.
Rare that I can listen to an album in full - but i can with this.
If you like Blondie / New Order / Garbage / Madonna / Sneaker Pimps / St Etienne etc you'll love this.
Gonna buy the rest of Metrics stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never heard of them, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Synthetica (MP3 Download)
I heard some music on TV I liked so searched the lyrics found out it was Metric. Took a chance and downloaded Synthetica. Glad I did, this is a quality album and has probably been annoying the neighbours ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
Metric just keep getting better and better with every album they make. This one is a fantastic cohesive album from start to finish. Great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
This is a very good record from this group. Alternative music that makes you feel the real indie songs. And even it has a very curious thing, the lyrics in the sleeve are written in the wrong way round, but the cd brings you a little mirror in order to read correctly the lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Synthetica (MP3 Download)
I think all the tracks on this are good (all the main tracks - the instrumental versions at the end are a bit dull), with no tracks that I'm tempted to skip.

What stands out for me as someone who hadn't listened to much Metric before is that their lyrics are consistently interesting, not something I can say about a lot of groups these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Album, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I have not stopped playing this album since I got it for Xmas and it gets better with every listen. My favourite song keeps changing all of the time as they are all so good. I can honestly say there is not one bad track on the album. I thought Fantasies was amazing and at first I didn't think was as good. After a lot of listening though I have changed my mind and I think this is equally as good if not better. The songs and melodies are so catchy and stay in your mind. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Metric, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I may be a little biased as I have been a huge fan for years, but their latest offering is great. I will admit I am not huge about every song,I think the songs are infallible from Dreams so Real onwards. Others have said that Lou Reed doesn't work on Wanderlust but it's one of my favourites. Lost Kitten is the best track in my opinion. Others have also said that Dreams so Real doesn't go anywhere, but for me it isn't a traditional radio play track like Synthetica, it's almost like a protest song, listen to the lyrics!! Don't forget that Emily is an ardent feminist.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Synthetica (MP3 Download)
Slightly different than previous albums, but a very good release.
Best new 'record' i've listened to this year. Metric get better and better with each year.

Synthetica
Synthetica by Metric (Audio CD - 2012)