Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 21 July 2014
I have loved Supernatural since the early days of season 1. Some friends of mine lost interest around the latter stages of season 5/early season 6. Whilst I would have to agree that the show did start to waver around that point I felt that season 7 upped the game. I enjoyed the whole Leviathan arc. It was then over a whole year before I watched season 8 for reasons I don't fully understand in hindsight! And I'm happy to report - what a season.

The stories are top notch with many strong tales (in fact I am struggling to think of any bad ones). The general idea behind this season is that our heroes discover there is a way to finally close the gates of hell which involves some lucky soul having to complete a series of trials. Now this been Supernatural that fortunate person has got to be Dean or Sam. And anyone who knows this show knows things aren't gonna end pleasantly. That's all ill say on that one.

We get a pleasing chance to see Bobby once more. Other highlights of mine include the boys meeting their grandfather and learning their original destiny - this is a game changer and the brothers soon acquire their own 'bat cave'. We get a tale where people are dying in the style of cartoon characters! Sounds wacky? - It is!

This show is still going strong. Bring on season 9!
on 3 November 2013
Delivered right on time and in perfect condition. It would have been nice to have an episode commentary from Jensen and Jared but even without that I'm more than happy with the season 8 DVD. Very happy to see a good length gag reel compared with season 7 and a good feature on Castiel. Season 8 has seen Supernatural back to it's best with great stories, rock music and the fabulous impala. I have to admit there are a couple of less good episodes (3 and 4) though I understand other people like them, so this is a matter of taste. I've tried to eke out the episodes I watch given that I have to wait for season 9 to come out on DVD in a years time, but I just had to keep watching until it was done. I was completely captivated and felt like my heart was ripped out and wrung out on more than one occasion (Thank you Jensen, Jared, Felicia and even Mark for that!!). Epic cliffhanger ending. The usual hilarious one-liners and gut wrenching choices that have you laughing out loud and screaming at the TV. Gonna have to watch it all over again, and again, and again!!
Yes, still around. For seven seasons Winchester brothers Sam and Dean have taken on daemons and much that is weird. Problems have been confronted both in Heaven and Hell, Armageddon sorted. What can be left?

Quite a lot, it would seem. Ingeniously creators have come up with cracking new storylines. (First concern somehow to get Dean out of a year in Purgatory.) The main theme now concerns tablets representing The Word of God, instructions how to close the Gate of Hell (trials to be undertaken, but ultimately at a fearsome cost).

There is still time though for plenty of fun. No matter how serious certain issues and how great the violence (some of it really nasty, with many heads severed), humour is rarely far away. For light relief the brothers find themselves caught up in cartoons and lavish role play pageantry, this set off course by a book of spells acquired by one participant on the internet. (Savour a hilarious out-take on the gag reel.) There is even one episode when Sam and Dean barely appear, as teens experiment with camcorders and everything goes horribly wrong. (A 24 minute bonus feature on Disc 1 interestingly tells how this came about.)

It is all preposterous. The creators know it. So does the cast. We are invited to join in the spirit of it all. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have the chemistry upon which to build. Both are great, as are their colleagues. Misha Collins is back, his playing of enigmatic angel Castiel so exceeding expectations, the creators are ever determined to explore new aspects. Brilliant Kevin has an important part to play. (A pity we do not see more of his feisty mum.) Geeky Garth is again very funny indeed. Amanda Tapping stars as an Archangel with a hidden agenda - as, indeed, the whole lot of them seem to have. Still charismatically horrible is Mark A Sheppard as "King of Hell" Crowley, he never short of new tortures to inflict.

23 episodes. Bonuses all worth exploring, including one explaining how the character of Castiel has evolved.

Some may consider the series totally over the top, blasphemous to boot. They may have a point, but fans will rejoice that SUPERNATURAL continues so entertainingly to deliver the goods.
on 2 January 2014
I am a loyal fan of Supernatural but I have to say that the show is not as good as it used to be. Since Kripke left there has been a few changes in leadership, which has definitely changed the tone of the show. Season 7 was the worst of all Seasons so far but Season 8 has definitely improved. I have hope that Season 9 will continue this progress of coming back to the show that it used to be. Overall, I still love this show and will continue watching it until they stop making it. Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester), Jared Padalecki (Sam Winchester) and Mischa Collins (Castiel) are still as fantastic as ever and make it well worth the watch. I miss Bobby and I wish they will bring him back in the near future. I recommend this to all Supernatural fans!
on 3 January 2014
Season 8 marks a change of style, featuring episodes that focus on themes in Indiana Jones style. Lot of action, intrigue, new concepts and locations. And at the same time, a strong sense of continuity with all the existing mythology of the series. A great work with a truly exciting ending.
on 18 January 2014
I am so glad that I have this DVD it was a great buy, as the shops were selling it double the price. it came pretty quick and was in good condition. So a great buy and I recommend buying it from Amazon.. can't wait to watch the boys in action. :)
on 20 February 2014
Yes, they're off again. Staking vampires, salting and burning bones. The Winchesters are off again. This has developed well from the first season and includes demonic and angelic allies. Great action packed show.
on 25 August 2014
I used to love Supernatural- the early season were amazing and I couldn't wait for each to come out on DVD to watch, however by this stage it all feels so tired- the characters and story lines have been exhausted and with this season it's just boring. The humour that really made the early seasons and the banter between brothers is gone, Dean in particular has become very dis likable, also this season yet again tries to introduce a few quirky episodes, but fails to entertain- for example- a "found footage" Blair witch style one barely even features the Winchesters and perfectly illustrates a barrel being scraped!
on 28 April 2014
Dean and Sam's journey has taken them through hell and back, literally. But now the brothers are faced with a new, much more powerful danger. The conflicts of hell are starting to effect the living. The conflicts of heaven aren't helping either. The angels are plotting, the demons are killing and loyalties are torn. The brothers don't know who they can trust and when their faith in each other is pushed to the limit, their whole world starts breaking apart.

the perfect mixture of humor, horror, touching and heartbreaking moments, and a great new season to add to my collection
on 10 December 2013
After I had watched the first 4 episodes I felt let down. For some reason they, for me at least, were not up to scratch. I thought to myself 'I hope this picks up otherwise I may not even get to finishing the series'. Luckily it did pick up and got back to the usual high standard you expect. It was even great to see one of the earlier cast members making a return albiet for one episode only. Was gutted when he exited the series as I always felt he was one of the great characters and still think the show lacks something now he has gone. Am not saying who in case some readers have not seen this series yet. I knew Amanda Tapping was coming into the series but her role was not as big as I was expecting which is a shame. Still, it was good to see her in something again as I really miss the excellent series she was in called Sanctuary which like many other good shows have fallen by the axe for the sad reason that at the time they are aired not enough people watched it, regardless of the fact that many more probably watched it at a later date by recording it etc., but of course that doesn't count!! So overall another very good season of Supernatural but starting from Episode 5. Eps 1 to 4 are throw-away as far as I am concerned. But others, of course, may not agree.