4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not hilarious
My expectations were pretty high for this film. I loved the trailers and I'm particularly a fan of Will Ferrell so my anticipation was piqued when I put this in the player. Did it meet my expectations? Sort of, I suppose.

Published 17 months ago by R. Forse

3.0 out of 5 stars Campaign FUNding
After watching ‘Anchorman’ I became one of the biggest Will Ferrell supporters around, no matter what he released I would always find something in it, knowing that ‘Anchorman’ was just so good. However, after mediocre affair after mediocre affair, the shine has finally worn off. ‘The Campaign’ is a classic example of his more recent...
Published 10 months ago by Sam Tyler

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but not hilarious, 23 July 2013
R. Forse (Taunton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Campaign (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

The good parts first; if nothing else this film is a top notch send up of politicians. Meaningless and woolly answers to questions were spot on and showed the art of diversion that so many campaigns (both sides of the Atlantic) are unfortunately built on. There were some genuinely funny, and cringeworthy, moments peppered throughout that will live in the memory, and ultimately there was a satisfying conclusion that offered the kind of integrity thatthis viewer would certainly welcome in real life.

There were some let downs in the film though, mainly the unnecessary "shock" jokes and lines that I could personally have done without. I also felt that it tried too hard to emulate, and perhaps imitate, the off the wall Anchorman style humour and, while this in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, it does leave you comparing the films and unfortunately The Campaign is just a notch below.

Ultimately it's a really good comedy, but its not among Farrells best and subsequently not worthy of a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars "..TOP COMEDY..", 4 July 2013
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
Brilliant comedy hilarious from beginning to end which is exactly what any good comedy needs!! Great cast both top of their game leading a very funny story full of over the top crude yet side-splitting humour, certainly don't miss this if you're a big Will Ferrell fan, a few good funny extras too, all round money well spent!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My expectations were pretty high for this film, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Campaign (Blu-ray)

4.0 out of 5 stars AMERICA, JESUS, FREEDOM, 17 April 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) is a congressman who runs unopposed. After he leaves a graphic obscene phone call at a wrong number, he becomes vulnerable. The rich Motch brothers (Koch brothers) decide they can buy this election and own a congressman in the effeminate Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis). The story centers around their over the top, no holds bar campaign against each other.

The film news extras include mostly the MSNBC crowd. The humor is crude and sexual such as when Marty's wife (Sarah Baker) admits "I touch myself to Drew Carey on "The Price is Right." Okay so who doesn't.

It is a satire of the American electorate who relish slogans and sound bites over substance. It makes a statement on how our nation can be bought, but not as good as Steven Colbert. At times the film becomes too over the top and loses sight of the satire.

Parental Guide: F-bombs, sex, brief nudity (Amelia Jackson-Gray)

4.0 out of 5 stars AMERICA, JESUS, FREEDOM, 27 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Parental Guide: F-bombs, sex, brief nudity (Amelia Jackson-Gray)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and funniest film in ages - a must see even if your not a big Ferrell or Zak fan., 16 Feb 2014
I wasn't expecting much from this when I watched it at the cinema as I'm not a huge Will Ferrell or Zak Galifianakis fan.. but there wasn't much on at the time so I thought - why not.

The film is just hilarious!.. perfectly cast and perfectly paced and directed, I just roared all the way through! All the supporting cast are fantastic as well - with great (over)acting from John Lithgow, Jason Sudeikis, Brian Cox, Dylan McDermott and of course the dog from 'the artist' !

A great comedy about American politics and politicians and the depths they will go to win an election - at ANY cost!!

This was the best film of 2013 by a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love anchorman....., 4 Jan 2014
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of Will Ferrell and have loved pretty much every film I've seen him in but this is one of his best in my opinion, yes there are some silly jokes, but I have honestly never laughed so much at a film, my sides hurt when it was over.
Since watching it, I have bought it for several family members who have all enjoyed it too so if you like Will Ferrell's style, particularly in Anchorman then I am sure this will be a hit.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'A COMIC LOOK AT 'AMERICAN' POLITIC'S', 25 Feb 2013
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
A send-up look at a U.S congress election campaign in which 'Cam Brady' has
served unopposed for four terms, suddenly finding unlikely candidate 'Marty
Huggins' standing against him.
The Campaign spirals out of control, each Candidate launching a scathing
assault on each other,
Much in the way of tongue-in-cheek and often crude humour as the character
of each is publically torn-apart, each seeking to humiliate the other.
Plenty of laughs to be had.
(Politics as we know it ?)

5.0 out of 5 stars I brought my broom because ... it's a mess, 16 Sep 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's fair to say that both Will Ferrell and Zack Galifiniakis are in top form in this excellent comedy whose release coincides with the Presidential Election campaign.

Ferrell excels in playing over the top alpha male type characters, and his years of impersonating Bush for example on SNL pays off handsomely in this entertaining romp, because he truly can adopt that type of presence.

I was half expecting another formulaic comedy, yet the writer dials up the absurdity from the get go, sending up the political election process, and I am sure it will appeal to people of all persuasions, and foul is fair in this campaign.

Cam Brady, career congressman runs unopposed for reelection until two billionaire businessman decide to put up an unlikely opposing candidate. But can an unlikely naïve nobody transform into a ruthless political somebody, or will he be eaten alive by the sophisticated political machine of one Cam Brady?

Ferrell plays Cam Brady, and Zack plays Marty Huggins who is a little odd, and definitely not your political type. He likes to walk his (Chinese) pugs, but when he gets a campaign manager and image consultant, he has to get labradors because they are more American and they test through the roof.
His wife has to get a Katie Couric haircut.

Some of the funniest pieces are the political ads, which absurdify the negative campaign ads we often see, and are laugh out loud funny. I also like the squaring off before they do the political debate where they do the dominant hand shake, and the stare-down, and the under the breath trash talk. If you're like me you will be amazed at the antics these two resort to to get ahead in the ratings. And you will be amazed at what gets them ahead in the ratings.

Even in the supporting roles, the actors are good, especially Dylan McDermott as the Huggins campaign manager, and Katherine La Nasa (formerly married to Dennis Hopper)excels as Brady's potty mouthed trophy wife, but the best surprise for me was Karen Maruyama as an Asian American maid role playing a different type of maid to please her throw back employers. Truly hilarious.

If you have loved Will Ferrell movies I think you will love this because he is in top form here. I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain for a few laughs, 22 April 2014
I bought this really cheap. It's a pretty funny film if you like Will Ferrel.
IT arrived quickly and well packaged so I'm really happy overall with it. Many thanks.

The Campaign (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free]