Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 November 2012
I recently went to see the new arena show of JCS and was reminded of how good the songs are. Whilst the performances in the show left me somewhat undewhelmed (Yes, Mel C I mean you)this album brought back memories of the original production which was superb.
on 16 July 2012
Having seen and heard most of the versions of this tremendous musical, this is by a long shot, the very best. I bought this album originally having heard it at a friends and have been mesmerised by it every since. I have the London cast version and have seen the movie, but they are not a patch on the sensitive, heartfelt, emotion packed interpretation of this amazing cast of disparate musicians and singers. It is the music that really matters and because these performers were unhampered by how they looked or danced or acted, they can put their whole heart and soul into their performance. As this musical is so incredible, it will be fantastic whoever performs it, provided they are professionals, but if you want to appreciate the full depth and meaning of the music and words, this has to be the one you keep and treasure.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2012
I went to see this show when I was a kid with my family and we all loved it. Even my dad was moved to tears (and he was an athiest) but my Mum and I (especially) loved it. A few years later, I found the original LP recording of this in my local record library and took it out. I renewed it every fortnight for the next two years as that's how long it took me to save up and get my hands on my own copy. I just couldn't bear to part with it. I knew every word and note of this recording as that's how many times I played it. Much later, like another reviewer here, I paid an arm and a leg for a CD copy imported from the US.

I am so glad there is to be an arena tour of this show and that this was the recorded version released to accompany the TV show. Unlike many other versions and recordings, this one shows the music in it's true light. It's a real rock opera as it consists of performmances by true rock artists. Ian Gillan is fabulous as Jesus and the supporting cast are all excellent but the performance of Murray Head as Judas steals the show for me. 'Heaven on their minds' is a masterpiece and 'Judas' Death' is so raw and painful that no-one can fail to be moved. I for one will be buying it to see if the remastered version is an improvement on the excellent 1970 cd already in my possession. WATCH THIS SPACE!
on 7 September 2012
Despite the VERY MINOR problems that various people have described, THIS ONE - THE 2012 RE-MASTER - is the BEST AVAILABLE JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR RECORDING AT THIS TIME. I have listened to it DOZENS OF TIMES for a week - now that I have a set that does not have manufacturing glitches - and the sound is FULL and PRESENT and ROBUST and, I repeat, ALTOGETHER THE BEST VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL BROWN CONCEPT ALBUM AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME. And it does sound great the majority of the time. At times the vocals are so present that they sound as if they are coming from the room itself - not the sound system. THAT IS GOOD RE-MASTERING. This is the best available JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR recording on CD and according to the "liner notes" - due to various circumstances - this is as good as it's ever gonna get. If that is the case then it's not nearly as bleak as it might have been - this set will make you very happy. I am glad we have it! I am glad that is has been re-mastered and it is still a remarkably effective piece of musical theatre.
on 7 October 2012
I think JesusChrist Superstar is my very favourite musical of all time ( along with Les Miserables!) and I already have the cd's from both of the films made of it. So I wasn't too bothered about getting the latest remastered cd of the early 70's show. To be honest, I thought it would sound dated. Then I read through all of the reviews on this page and everyone saying how it is the best version etc. So I bought it and I am really pleased that I did :) I agree with you all, it is THE BEST and the singers are just awesome. I can't stop playing it! It has the raw, gritty edge to it that I love to hear in rock operas, and it doesn't in the least sound dated. In fact, I think it beats all the other more recent versions easily, and I now realise that they have 'sanitised' it too much - messed it around and lost the raw, pure rock sound of it. I think that Andrew Lloyd Webber should go back to the original version of it and have it performed in this way! A wonderful cd and best played at full volume :)
on 17 July 2012
As a teenager I was lent the original LP version of this musical and I freely admit I kept it and never returned it. I have listened to many many recordings of JCS by many varied revered artists but in my opinion this is by far the very very best version ever laid down. I am delighted to see that this version is being re released with the Superstar logo on, I had to purchase a cd version from Canada. Does the rerelease in light of the tv show suggest that this is in fact the ultimate version. Maybe so. Ian Gillan is simply superb as Jesus, his rendition of Gethsemane is unparalleled. Murray Head is superb as Judas and Yvonne Elliman as Mary without peer. If you are buying a version of the masterly piece of rock opera then make it this one, you will not be disappointed - just do not lend it out!
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2013
I have the original LP but no longer have a record player so it's wonderful to hear this again. Hard to beat the original cast even though 'Could we start again please' wasn't part of the original recording. And when Judas (Murray head) sings 'I don't know how to love him' it really is the definitive version!
on 19 August 2012
No, not the Andrew Lloyd Webber song from Cats but memories of the Seventies when I used to play this LP (as it was then!) non-stop. Digitally mastered classic memories of some everlasting music - as fresh today as it was then - and the good times associated with the era.
on 21 October 2012
Although dated, it is still great and has a timeless message. Recommended for preparation of the current tour. If you require a modern interpretation or mix, with extra bass, that modern systems can produce, this is not the ablum for you.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2013
I enjoyed the recording very much, as I had seen the show on stage and wanted to go back to hear the original. The quality of sound was good, but ~I gave the four stars because I missed the vitality of a live performance on stage.