5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best Superstar
Published on 16 July 2012 by Sue Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars not like the 70's record
I bought this cd to remind me of the record we used to play in the 70's. none of the songs sounded similar to the double album,long since lost.
Published 9 months ago by chris h h

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best Superstar, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
Having seen and heard most of the versions of this tremendous musical, this is by a long shot, the very best. I bought this album originally having heard it at a friends and have been mesmerised by it every since. I have the London cast version and have seen the movie, but they are not a patch on the sensitive, heartfelt, emotion packed interpretation of this amazing cast of disparate musicians and singers. It is the music that really matters and because these performers were unhampered by how they looked or danced or acted, they can put their whole heart and soul into their performance. As this musical is so incredible, it will be fantastic whoever performs it, provided they are professionals, but if you want to appreciate the full depth and meaning of the music and words, this has to be the one you keep and treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the recent show, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I recently went to see the new arena show of JCS and was reminded of how good the songs are. Whilst the performances in the show left me somewhat undewhelmed (Yes, Mel C I mean you)this album brought back memories of the original production which was superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Version, 17 July 2012
Mr. Andrew Phillips "Ayeupmeduck" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
As a teenager I was lent the original LP version of this musical and I freely admit I kept it and never returned it. I have listened to many many recordings of JCS by many varied revered artists but in my opinion this is by far the very very best version ever laid down. I am delighted to see that this version is being re released with the Superstar logo on, I had to purchase a cd version from Canada. Does the rerelease in light of the tv show suggest that this is in fact the ultimate version. Maybe so. Ian Gillan is simply superb as Jesus, his rendition of Gethsemane is unparalleled. Murray Head is superb as Judas and Yvonne Elliman as Mary without peer. If you are buying a version of the masterly piece of rock opera then make it this one, you will not be disappointed - just do not lend it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and still the BEST, 21 July 2012
A. Moriarty "mumoftheyear" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I went to see this show when I was a kid with my family and we all loved it. Even my dad was moved to tears (and he was an athiest) but my Mum and I (especially) loved it. A few years later, I found the original LP recording of this in my local record library and took it out. I renewed it every fortnight for the next two years as that's how long it took me to save up and get my hands on my own copy. I just couldn't bear to part with it. I knew every word and note of this recording as that's how many times I played it. Much later, like another reviewer here, I paid an arm and a leg for a CD copy imported from the US.

I am so glad there is to be an arena tour of this show and that this was the recorded version released to accompany the TV show. Unlike many other versions and recordings, this one shows the music in it's true light. It's a real rock opera as it consists of performmances by true rock artists. Ian Gillan is fabulous as Jesus and the supporting cast are all excellent but the performance of Murray Head as Judas steals the show for me. 'Heaven on their minds' is a masterpiece and 'Judas' Death' is so raw and painful that no-one can fail to be moved. I for one will be buying it to see if the remastered version is an improvement on the excellent 1970 cd already in my possession. WATCH THIS SPACE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great version, 13 Jan. 2013
Amazon Customer (Meningie, South Australia, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
Good remastering of original version. I only wish that they would release a CD of the new Arena version-now that would be really really great !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars not like the 70's record, 11 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars cd and dvd amazing, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
they are both great especially the dvd its amazing and the cd is beautiful i want to see it at a concert now i got it on my birthday

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I have the LP but nothing to play it on. Now I can hear it again even in the car - perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aftr a thirty year separation....I bought it again!, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
Loved this recording since I first heard it at the age of ten, in my oldest sister's record collection. I love it. The original cast, the sound, it's still fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb CD, 27 Aug. 2013
J. Makin "45407" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I had the original cast album on vinyl, but it disappeared. This was well worth the money and brought back memories of the original film all those years ago. Sound and quality are excellent.

Jesus Christ Superstar
Jesus Christ Superstar by Original Studio Cast (Audio CD - 2012)