4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, accurate!
I bought two of these oven thermometers as after getting sub-standard baking results, I suspected that my oven temperatures were not entirely accurate. I already had a Salter oven thermometer but mistrusted the result as even at gas mark 8, the temperature it was showing was only 185c.

I tested both the Andrew James thermometers at the same time as the Salter...
Published 9 months ago by Darth

3.0 out of 5 stars Thermometer
This thermometer is what I was looking for but unfortunately I haven't worked out how to
stand it or hang it in the oven. If I stand it, it falls over between the rungs of the oven shelf.
If I hang it on the shelf rung it is facing sideways.
I have had to resort to standing it in a tin dish. Whether this will affect the temperature
reading or not I...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, accurate!, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Andrew James Precision Oven Thermometer Hang Or Stand On Oven Shelves (Kitchen & Home)

I tested both the Andrew James thermometers at the same time as the Salter and this proved that the Salter one was horribly inaccurate, both Andrew James thermometers showed 180c at gas mark 5 (so my oven is 10c out, not 30c according to the Salter).

The thermometers are fairly lightweight and the top hook can easily be bent back to grip better when hung from an oven rack (otherwise I found it can slip off) and unless I was really unlucky and both just happen to be inaccurate to the same degree, I think these thermometers can be trusted for their accuracy.

One tip, and this applies to any Andrew James products (as I've bought a few things recently), the items may be listed cheaper on Amazon than on their own website, BUT, shipping here can cost as much as £7.99 whereas it is free within the UK on their website so it's worth checking both Amazon and the Andrew James website as it can actually work out cheaper buying direct (particularly when they have a sale/promotion on) and they ship quickly in all cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars hot cakes, 25 Nov 2012
i purchaced this thermometer as I thought my oven was not reaching the correct temp,and this gadget proved that the oven was 20deg out. So now my cakes are perfectly cooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct 2012
I've never used an oven therm before however now I'm baking a lot more, I needed 1 as my cakes weren't coming out well at all. So now I have this my cakes are perfect! I'm very happy, as are my children, all is well in our home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 15 Mar 2013
I bought a new eletric fan oven which burnt everything. Before I called an engineer and be charged if they didn't find anything wrong, I bought this thermometer to check the temperature. Using the thermometer I discovered oven about 30 degrees out. Engineer came and confirmed. I use it every now and again the check thermostat on oven OK. Compared priced and this seemed the best value as I didn't want to spend too much. Easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate but..., 3 Oct 2013
After struggling to move this about when hot without it falling over and that it didn't hang facing forwards I went and bought Kitchen Craft which hung sensibly. HOWEVER, the kitchen craft was 10 degrees Celsius out to Andrew James. Confused what to do I bought digital thermometer which was again different! Confused I surfed the net which suggests a cane sugar melting test - the sugar should melt at 186 but not at 177 (15 mins). Conclusion was Andrew James was accurately calibrated & not the others!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Thermometer, 28 Dec 2012
If I hang it on the shelf rung it is facing sideways.
reading or not I don't know.
Would love to hear how anyone else solved the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 14 Nov 2013
I wanted a thermometer to check oven temperature when baking cakes as my oven is quite old. The down side is falls of shelf and not easy to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistency, 7 Jun 2014
Gordon Finlay (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these for two homes. Used in a fan oven, one indicated that the achieved temperature was lower than the equivalent standard-oven setting on the oven control - suggesting that there might be an inadequate cooking outcome. However, that has not been evident.

I then placed both thermometers side by side in the same oven and to my surprise and disappointment, they gave different readings!

Which should I believe?

Also, the base plate is far too small to be easily placed on the wire rack shelf of a normal oven. Even the effect of opening the oven door would sometimes result in the thermometer falling off the wire shelf!

Otherwise, they were to some degree helpful but only as a rough guide for reassurance.

It seems somewhat surprising that the manufacturer may not have run proper tests on actual consumer use?

Perhaps for the benefit of producing a revised version, these comments could be made available to the manufacturer?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit for Purpose, 7 Dec 2013
Exactly what I required and does the job well.. i haven't burnt anything in the oven since it arrived, so I'm well pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars comments on the oven thermometer, 7 Dec 2012
unfortunately the needle indicating the temperature was stuck and the device didn't work until my husband removed the glass and straightened the needle. Now it is fine.