6,955 Reviews
 (4,206)
 (1,160)

9,711 of 9,878 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD - what is it for?
I hesitate to dip my toe in the turbulent waters of Kindle Fire HD customer reviews, but having owned the 32GB version for two weeks now my thoughts might be useful to some. I already own a Kindle 3G and a WiFi/3G Ipad, against which the Fire HD seems to be regularly compared against. The Kindle is primarily used to take books on holiday, and the Ipad is used at home...
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by Stormcat

3,664 of 3,881 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Device Ruined by Amazon's Restrictive Software
This is a carefully considered review that acknowledges the good and bad fairly. I have been an Amazon customer for several years and have always praised Amazon's peerless customer service, its quick response and despite the criticisms here I happily acknowledge that my telephone complaints about this product were dealt with politely and generously. But this device has...
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by R Young

‹ Previous | 1529 530 531696 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug 2014
its been used daily since purchase and never a problem

2.0 out of 5 stars good, 6 Aug 2014
alright if you just want to read but it was not for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
Love it and it works really well. Who needs an ipad !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for price, 21 July 2014
Very limited on apps and software but ok for basis use

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 21 July 2014
Ned Ludd (Frome Somerset) - See all my reviews
it didn't work so returned & money refunded immediatly

5.0 out of 5 stars My sixth Kindle., 26 Nov 2013
This is my sixth and by far my best Kindle to date. I absolutely love it. I'd recommend it to everyone. Speedy processor. Fantastic colours, beautiful design, long lasting battery. What else can I say about it?

It does everything I need and much much more. It's a perfect Christmas present......

Last thing is........ For £99.00 it's an absolute steal! Get one before the price goes up!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, 25 Nov 2013
This is the best value 'toy' I have ever bought. It is so much more than a 'toy' but huge fun all the way. Truly a complete entertainment system. One minor complaint, it doesn't cook or make the tea........yet!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great device, woeful selection of apps, 19 Oct 2013
Amazon Customer (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I really like my Kindle, but my goodness the app store is crap.

No ITV Player, no 4od, no Demand 5 - so you can pretty much forget using it to catch up on programmes you may have missed unless they happen to have been on the BBC (the BBC iPlayer app is great).

At least three quarters of the apps I search for by name are either not on the Amazon app store, or are incompatible with the Kindle Fire HD.

Come on Amazon, pull your finger out and give us what we actually want.

EDIT: A couple of days later...

Hoorah! I have now rooted my Kindle Fire HD 7.4.7 using the instructions I found here, [...]

And I sideloaded the Google Play Store app using the instructions I found here, [...]

And it all worked. I've now downloaded several apps which you can't get for love nor money from Amazon and am feeling a very happy bunny. It was a bit of a faff, but well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD7---- do not buy if you want to read in sunshine, 11 Jun 2013
took item on holiday to south of france- very very sunny- could not read Kindle Fire outside, as it was like looking into a mirror, all I could see was my face reflection- I expect it is too late to return item and have a full refund ??????? Not user friendly

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it, but I can't!, 17 Mar 2013
I have had my Kindle Fire HD since release and the store update has been virtually non-existent. The content overall has been so poor I'm left asking myself why the hell I bought the damn thing in the first place.

A lot has been made of the adverts, but to be honest I didn't much mind these - initially. However, the adverts you get from Amazon are for useless things like Toothbrushes and Disneyland - what the hell does that have to do with the Kindle itself? Surely the adverts should have been akin to content that would appeal to my market tastes? You'd think wouldn't you?

Next, there is no built in video player and the LoveFilm (which you have to pay a sub for - a fiver per month) has films from the 70s and 80s. There is virtually nothing 'new' on there, and I haven't watched a film on there in months - despite paying for it. So I can't watch my own content unless I download an app from a third party source, and the content I can watch is from a century I wasn't even born in!

Now the email system - that's way beyond atrocious. The predictive text is so annoying you'll find yourself typing your email about 50 times with the spell checker changing your word from cat to 'cable can stan' - what the hell?! It really is so useless I now refuse to use it!

As an e-reader the device should be avoided. The screen is far to bright and white, and as a result you can't read anything on it for long. Instead I continue to use my e-reader for this.

I must admit that I really wanted to like my Fire. I was patient with it thinking that the store would grow and everything would get better. However, I've now decided to get a Ipad Mini and give my Fire to my mother in law. So what prompted this? How come Apple get Wreck It Ralph as a full game and the Kindle Fire, not only had to wait 2 months for the game to get released, but the game they did get was a virtually pointless puzzle game that in no way reflected the actual game - except the asking price is the same across the two devices? This unfortunately is the run of the mill for Kindle.

Overall, the touch screen is no where near that responsive, the web doesn't play any forms of flash which means that 90% of websites wont load on it - and the store content is pathetic.

So Amazon released a device that was to help shift their content and act as a threat to Apple. That is not what you have got here. You've got a giant paper weight that wont surf the net for you properly, wont offer you any films from this century and wont satisfy you in terms of application content.

Like I said, I really wanted to like my Fire - but overall, Amazon has done an extremely poor job bringing the device to the UK. What does the device do well - I'm yet to work that out. The device itself is not worth your cash and my recommendation to you is to get an Apple Ipad or a Samsung Pad.

‹ Previous | 1529 530 531696 | Next ›