5.0 out of 5 stars The boys are back!!!
Incredible but true ULTRAVOX really are back and how good it is to hear them again!! Of course when I heard they were putting a new album together I had doubts they could scale the heights of their heyday but incredibly they really have delivered the goods after what seems a lifetime ago!
Published on 29 May 2012 by Rob C

3.0 out of 5 stars Retro but not as good as the old days
The band has done a great job here but it lacks some of the cutting edge of the original output of the 80s. Fine as background music, but not something to listen to intently.
Published 14 months ago by Darren H.

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys are back!!!, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
Live is the highlight and one of their best songs ever, closely followed by lie and the rousing satellite which begs you to test your speakers to the max! Of course not every track blows you away instantly but if you listen and let them grow you will find that the real Ultravox are back, lets hope they stick around!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FIFTEEN AGAIN!, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
When Ultravox announced they would be touring again a few years ago, I was not going to miss out. In the back of my mind was "can they still do it, or will I be disappointed?" They were amazing, we saw them again last year, I was dancing with tears in my eyes. (sorry!)
They then announced a new album was on it's way with all new material. In the back of my mind again was that nagging doubt. I really don't know why, I have been listening to every sample and streaming, getting more and more excited.
I received my c.d. this morning, "Brilliant" is an understatement there are bits of the old albums in all the tracks, whilst still being refreshingly new. I would list my favourite tracks, but they will different tomorrow.
Sitting here listening to it, I feel I am fifteen years old again and bunking off school (might even pinch a tin of my dad's cider!)
If like me, you are fed up with most current manufactured, over produced, boy/girl band, 'talent' show winners, give "Brilliant" a spin, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply "Brill", 28 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (MP3 Download)
Just downloaded the first studio album in 28 years from Ultravox and what sheer bliss to rediscover the lads albeit a lot older but the classic sound remains but with a more modern interface. Absolutely love the arrangement of all the tracks it puts the faith back into what is now a weary ordinary music scene the power and the glory of "Life,Flow,Brilliant,Change & Lie" will in time rank alongside their superb back catologue all I can ask is dont wait as long next time lads simply "Brilliant" so excited roll on the tour in September !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long time coming..., 31 May 2012
David Caton (Westcliff on Sea, Essex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
...but was it worth the wait?

Ultravox's music meant a lot to me when I was a teenager. Vienna was one of the first albums I bought and they were the first band I ever saw live (November '82 at Ipswich Gaumont). I saw them twice back in the 80s and again twice on the Return to Eden tours. They were the band that really got me into music and I've been messing around with synths and music production ever since. To say I've been looking forward to this is an understatement.

It could have been awful, but thankfully it's not. It's actually much better than I expected. The feel of the album is generally more upbeat than their early stuff and there's some compromise here between the classic ultravox sound and something more contemporary in places, but generaly speaking the trademark style and sounds are all present and correct. It's the songs which best capture the mood of their early albums that work for me though. Live and Satellite are excellent. One, Fall and Contact don't really do it for me to be honest but the rest are all pretty good. Lie, however, is the outstanding track here - powerfully atmospheric and intensely emotive. Nobody else does it like this.

On the downside, Midge's vocal style seems a bit odd in places and for me the production and sound qualty are a bit disappointing. But that's just niggles really and on the whole I think it was definitely worth the wait. I can't stop listening to it which I guess says it all.

As usual, the album's had a drubbing from the critics. As I'm writing this, however, it's no. 17 in the Amazon chart so what do they know?

3.0 out of 5 stars Retro but not as good as the old days, 20 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant says it all!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
Superb, brilliant, amazing, fantastic and one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time! Music for anyone who loves really great music.....can't recommend it highly enough! Love it! Didn't really expect to instantly like every song to be honest and indeed one of the slower paced songs was a grower but grow it did and now love them all. Not many albums where one doesn't want to skip any tracks at all! The more one plays it, the more one wants to play it again and again and again.......

A great mix of faster paced upbeat songs that are full of energy and give one a heckuva high interspersed with some hauntingly poignant slower paced ones. All very emotive and all very distinctively Ultravox......at their best! One can't fail to be moved by the music and the evocative lyrics....and those vocals are fab!

Could say more but why not just buy it and find out for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ohhhhhhhh Brillllllllliiiiaaaannnnnnnnttt!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
I thought when I met Midge in 1995 on his 'Out Alone' tour that things could not possibly get any better in terms of my Ultravox fanaticism....How wrong was I when they toured Return To Eden and I ran in to the Manchester Apollo like a demented 12 yr old!!! And now... all these years later....My CD arrived on Monday and first listen I thought Mmmm...lots of Midge solo influences here...but then...I listened again and again...It's not quite Rage In Eden or Quartet..But it's not far away...Brilliant is definitely a fantastic addition to the collection, and the single nicely blends with their others! Overall my fave tracks are Live, Rise and Satellite. Now I'm waiting for the 12" Extended Remix of Brilliant which I heard on Soundcloud and it is......BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it..............., 30 May 2012
Mr. C. L. Edge (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
At 43 I never thought for one moment that i'd be writing a review of a brand new Ultravox album. Yes i worshipped them in the 80's, however, i will try and give an objective review.
I have to say that this album was not an instant hit with me. It's very moody, lush and atmospheric, a headphones, lights off and close eyes album. Billie Currie really does fly on this. The album will grow on you and continue to do so.
The best track for me is 'Lie'. Brilliant continues on from Revelation in 1993 and Ingenuity in 1994, both later to be released as a two disc version under the title 'The New Frontier'. Anyone who hasn't heard those albums really needs to do so, in order to truely appreciate this release.
In conclusion Brilliant covers every Ultravox album. Ignore the negative reviews, they are not warranted, just buy it :-)))

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Voice !!, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
Not much excites me these days, but receiving my copy of Brilliant yesterday was like having all my 44 Christmas's in one go !! (I'm an accountant, so that explains things...). I knew this would be good, there is simply no way Midge, Chris (still my favourite bass player of all time), Billy and Warren would let us down. Not only are these an exciting set of new songs that can be by no one else but Ultravox, they remind me of the happiest/most content time of my life and have put a spring back into my step. It is so refreshing to also have the contemporary feel of the 21st Century on this album, but what would expect from the guys that made synthsizers cool when Punk still ruled and have the latest synth technology at their fingertips. Listen out for Midge's guitar riffs, Chris's throbbing bass, Billy's violin and Warren's precise drums - they all still have their individuality on this Brilliant disc. Will be having a 'virtual' cider with "Fifteen Again" tonight to celebrate. Thanks Ultravox, you really do have an Extreme Voice !!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 29 May 2012
Niel Warriner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
I have come to the obvious conclusion that this album is Brilliant! It is an extension of where they left from the 80's. My first listen to the album was ok this is ultravox but different! Ultravox always made emotive albums and this lives up to that mark! The music is inspiring, drawing you in. It is vibrant and some clever writing! I have listened to the album now continuously for the last two hours and believe me i am moved! It puts to shame some of the manufactured crap available today

Brilliant