5.0 out of 5 stars legend building
Published on 29 May 2012 by Ramses

3.0 out of 5 stars Just so so
Didn't enjoy this as much as dust bowl which I love. After seeing joe perform live I just felt that this didn't really come up to scratch. Sorry
Published on 7 Aug 2012 by NettieK

5.0 out of 5 stars legend building, 29 May 2012
Joe is building his legend, little by little, always with a surprise. He had an incredible 2011 with his solo, Beth Hart duet, and Black Country Communion super-group CDs. In 2012 he has already issued one of the best music videos ever (I think) - the New York concert - and now we are treated with this fantastic album. I have all his albums and this is in my opinion his best studio work. Songs are great, and I'm very glad with his version of "Stones in my passway", which he successfully covers without trying to tread in Johnson's, or even Clapton's, steps. Invited luminaries are Jimmy Barnes and Brad Whitford (from Aerosmith), and I think by now it is time to stop talking about it and to just recommending anyone readign this to BUY THIS NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !, 1 Jun 2012
Cant believe how long this guy has been around and I've only just discovered him.
This album is the best blues rock album I've heard for years.
Stunning guitar riffs, and that track with Jimmy Barnes is to die for !!
Bridges the gap left by Gary Moore and Jeff Healey.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST A GREAT ALBUM HE'S BACK, 24 May 2012
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
I must admit some of Joe's albums have left me cold with the exception of "Blues Deluxe" and " Sloe Gin" but this one is right up there with the best of them. All the tracks are interesting and remind me some what of the old rhythm and blues days before the term was hi-jacked by some other form of music. His guitar playing is fantastic and to me he sounds rejuvinated. Track 6 "A place in my heart" is beautiful and he plays his guitar with such feeling, very reminiscence of Eric Clapton. This is predominantly a blues/rock album with some very bluesey numbers, I really like this album a lot. Also the booklet which accompanies the CD is very informative especially the history of Joe's guitars and how he bought them, how much he paid, and the differerent sounds they produce, extremely interesting to any up and coming guitarist who may be thinking of buying a guitar.
I have rewritten my review as originally I only gave it two stars. This was due to my mate who came round with this new Joe Bonamassa CD and after about five fine bottles of wine between us I thought I had listened to it but I obviously had'nt. Also I would like to thank the reviewers that advised me that I must be mad not to like it. It is a very very good album and I listened to it sober, thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine CD, 24 May 2012
Robin Webster "Robin" (England) - See all my reviews
I don't know how Joe Bonamassa manages to produce CD after CD with so much vitality while also undertaking such a long touring schedule plus a radio show. He is a rock blues artist and this CD leans towards his blues side, despite covering songs by Bill Withers & Tom Waits. I love his versions of Robert Johnson's `Stones In My Passway' and Howlin Wolf's `Who's Been Talking' which has an intro of about 30 seconds of an interview with Howlin Wolf. (and it works). However the stand out track for me is his version of the Bill Withers classic, `Lonely Town Lonely Street.' Joe Bonamassa fans will not be disappointed, and this CD is also a good introduction for those that are new to this great artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content fentastic, mnedia format will not last, 25 Jun 2012
This is another excellent work by JB. I found many of the rhythm sections too "tight" for me and would have wanted a few more licks thrown it. But I guess they wanted a really disciplined production on this one. All in all a great album.

The cardboard book style doesnot work for me, its odd in my collection and doesn't fit into my CD library and I think it will look tattled and torn quite soon,

Maybe they were trying to emulate a vinyl cover or something ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe's Gone Into Overdrive With This!!!, 5 July 2012
K. Buxton - See all my reviews
Well! I agree with a lot of comments and for me this is Joe's best album so far, the first track I heard off this album was `too much ain't enough love' and the singer Jimmy Barnes who I'm not too familiar with, wow! I just fell in love with this track and to put this track last on the album sums up how good it is.

Great blues/rock album fell in love with it straight away and I'll be playing this to death when I'm on holiday in 2 weeks, hard to pick a favourite track as there are so many to choose from, just shows you if you can include some catchy tunes, melodies and cover the songs he's not written better than the original then this is what you get, also Joe is so busy collaborating on so many other artist albums, obviously this must help for future material I just don't know how he finds time for his own, anyway! To sum up this is my favourite album of 2012 so far, go out and buy! You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars JOE BONAMASSA ROCK OR BLUES OR BOTH, 19 Sep 2012
pete clack - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
You can't deny for one second that Joe Bonamassa is one greast guitarist, but my own take is although he is adverised as blues,lately he's more rock than blues,the Black Country Communion showed that he's very good at whatever he chooses. Beacon Theatre again shows me he's nowdays more rock styled in his approach.This album comes down both sides of the fence,some rock mixed with some pretty awesome blues.He clearly in his onward surge touching all areas of music that take his fancy and that's good.An artist who has amazing large output,who sweems to be always on tour.A new BCC album coming,then a live acoustic DVD early in the new year.His range is wide and you never know exactly what your going to get,other than it will be good.
This release for me is by far the best sincs John Henry,with my favourite of all being Blues De Lux, well produced, very good selection of songs some new ,some borrowed and some blue as they say.The band is as always right on the note. Good but for me not as good as the new releases by Walter Trout and Robert Cray,who've uped the level, Joe maybe putting too much out but each release recently is just a touch short of a classic, this is a very fine release make no mistake, but for me I know there's an even better one coming soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Driving Towards Perfection, 5 Jun 2012
Thirteen studio albums in and Joe Bonammassa's insatiable appetite for producing sublime albums show no signs of abating. In my opinion all 13 albums are terrific but JB hit a real rich vein of form with the release of the Sloe Gin album and Driving Towards the Daylight is right up there.
There can be little argument that Bonamassa is one of the best guitar players on the planet but what is great to see is the continuing vocal maturity and the way in which Bonamassa now has the confidence to know that sometimes less is more.
Driving Towards the Daylight is an eccelctic combination of original numbers and covers of some of Bonamassa's luminaries. This is one aspect that seems to contunually draw criticism, the lack of total original material on his albums. Personally I don't get it, when the music is as good as this and it is clear how much the guy reveres his heroes why not just revel in the opportunity to hear some classics reworked by a modern day genius. This album sees a return to a slightly rootsier, rougher sound than last year's Dustbowl, a mere obsevation, not a criticism.
Of some of the original work here Driving Towards the Daylight is destined to become a live classic, it is a haunting and beautiful song that drifts out of the speakers. Opener Dislocated Boy has a low down groove to it, whilst Heavenly Soul is simply stunning. Three songs that begin to encompass Bonamassa's talents.
Of the covers for me all are true gems in their own way; Robert Johnson's Stones In My Passway is Zeppelinesque in its sound and delivery, Howlin' Wolf's Who's Been Talking is delightful and the choice of Too Much Ain't Enough Love with Jimmy Barnes reprising his unique roadhouse vocal is a masterstroke. The two JBs compliment each other perfectly. However, the standout in my opinion is the truly awesome Place In My Heart, originally written by guitar maestro Bernie Marsden. Bonamassa excels on the solos and delivers the vocal with real feel.
The whole package fits together perfectly and makes for around an hour of real bliss.
Forget the rubbish about not being all original songs just listen and enjoy musicianship of the very highest order!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing album, 18 Mar 2014
Just buy it. Honestly, I only discovered Joe recently and this is the 4th album I have purchased. After listening to them all on Spotify I simply had to own them for my collection. However much I love Amazon, I actually bought this else where for £6.99. However, I should have stuck to trusty Amazon as shipping was so slow with the other company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic album from Jobo, 15 July 2012
Another superb album from Joe, really glad I bought this as a gift for Dads birthday. I really like every track it's nice easy listening

Driving Towards The Daylight