on 4 June 2012
Just RAN to get this but upon reading the track listing I thought "nah", I've already got 'Ultimate Kylie' and 'Kylie 2000-2010 so pretty much have it covered, I thought with the release of 'Time Bomb' it may have been included - DAMN! Nice to see 'Get outta my way' on the track list though as its my fave kylie track yet....
Kylie Minogue is celebrating 25 years of hits so it's no surprise to see a retrospective collection in the shops...but this must be one of the worst compilation efforts in recent memory.

Like Madonna, Kylie has now amassed so many top singles that anything less than a double CD is an insult both to her and prospective buyers. EMI have managed to squeeze 21 songs onto this CD but there are at least a dozen huge tracks missing - her deConstruction era is virtually ignored, represented solely by Confide In Me, and where are early smashes such as Hand On Your Heart and fan favourites like Shocked and What Do I Have To Do?? It really is a poor showing - and what's worse, no new songs whatsoever, bizarrely not even her current single Timebomb. This half-hearted effort has made me wonder if perhaps she is planning on leaving EMI for a new label; it has the feel of a release cobbled together in five minutes with little thought or respect merely to fulfill the contract of a departing artist.

If you want a Kylie compilation, you'd be far better off looking for a second hand copy of the Ultimate Kylie collection and downloading the singles from X and Aphrodite to add to it. There are some great pop tunes here but Kylie's 25th Anniversary surely deserved better.
on 7 June 2012
Yes, 1 star. Don't get me wrong, the CD itself is pretty much perfect and had I bought just the CD it would have garnered a 5 star review. However, I bought the CD/DVD combo and it is the DVD I am basing this 1 star review on.

I have two words for you - Aspect Ratio.

Who encoded this piece of crap? I understand that it is a Region 0 disc, so to expect a 576 x 720 picture is probably going too far and that the 480 x 640 ratio fits better on foreign systems. However, the idiot behind this disc has encoded the videos a 480 x 720 resolution. This means all the videos are squashed vertically (or stretched horizontally, depending on your thinking), ruining the look of them.

As if this wasn't bad enough, the producers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the DVD 4x3 (it's 2012 people!!) instead of widescreen. This is fine for the older videos (even if they are squashed), but it means the newer, widescreen ones are letterboxed, bringing their resolution down to approx 330 lines. Now, as anyone who has 'zoomed in' on their TV will know, this makes the picture quality drop massively. Zooming in on a 330 line picture on a big screen TV makes these videos look hideous! What they should have done, instead of making the newer videos '4x3 letterbox' is encode the DVD in widescreen and make the older videos '16x9 pillarbox', then they'd all look lovely.

So, in closing; Poor quality, low resolution, badly encoded and in an incorrect aspect ratio.

Save your money and just buy the CD and download her videos off youtube for free in the correct ratio and at the correct resolution.
77 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2012
It was very difficult to decide on a star rating for this product - On the one hand, it contains some truly classic Kylie tracks, and the packaging is just GREAT.
BUT, the tracklisting is a mess, it seems like they just picked song titles out of a hat. A lot of seminal Kylie tracks are missing, such as Finer Feelings, Breathe, What Do I Have to Do, Shocked, Hand on Your Heart and more, and the inclusion of Give Me Just A Little More Time and Celebration is frankly baffling.
Also, the single she released around the same time, Timbomb, is NOT on this CD.

I was also extremely disappointed by the quality of the DVD. The screen ratios are completely wrong on some songs, and the picture quality ranges from nearly unwatchable to acceptable. For some reason, even (comparatively) recent videos such as Spinning Around and In Your Eyes are extremely pixely.

If you're looking for a best of Kylie, I would recommend tracking down the Ultimate Kylie compilation. Though obviously Wow, In My Arms, All the Lovers and Get Outta My Way were not available when Ultimate Kylie was first released.
on 27 June 2012
Could anyone explain the reason of missing 'Your Disco Needs You'? As well I know, there were two versions of that video at least. Is it any chance that we will ever finally get them on DVD? Any ideas?

On the other side, I found another positive discovery bearing in mind the video consistency. When I bought 'Ultimate Kylie' dated of 2004 I thought erroneously, that 'Red Blooded Woman' was originally recorded in 4×3 format. In fact 'The Best Of Kylie Minogue' comprises this footage filmed in 16×9 aspect ratio. I looked thoroughly and it turned out that the older DVD I mentioned above contains just snapped picture of original 16×9 video (left-hand and right-hand picture parts of 16×9 have been cut) in order to pretend real 4×3 picture. Shame! I don't like such behaviour. Let every video be ever published in whole original format, no matter what kind it is. Faking procedures ought to be forbidden by law.
on 19 July 2014
Nice little one CD Best Of now Ultimate Kylie from 2004 is out of license. Contains further singles from X and Aphrodite, including the divine All The Lovers and the very fun Wow from 2007.

Strange track list from the PWL days, no Hand on Your Heart for example and the inclusion of the average cover Celebration over sublime singles such as What Do I Have To Do. And why was ace 2012 one off single Timebomb missed off?

But still 21 tracks squeezed on to one CD and this can be picked up for £5 or less. Bargain.
on 9 June 2012
I was wodering... how many greatest hits is she gonna release? Isn't enought? Sorry but, we are tired of it.
on 4 July 2014
well,as a huge KYLIE fan from the start,i already have 3 greatest hits compilations,but it was worth getting this too.not only for my collection,but also for the dvd,containing the videos for ALL THE LOVERS and GET OUTTA MY WAY. my only gripe is...WHERE DO I GET A DENIM JACKET WITH THE BADGES ON THAT IS FEATURED ON THE COVER???!!! :)
on 7 June 2012
I agree with the previous reviews, there's so much more that should have been added to this collection, it's certainly not a definitive one, especially concerning the dvd, I was hoping for the rare video's to make an appearance, but not to be sadly.
Nothing wrong with the quality of Kylie's hits, it's the quantity that's missing.
on 7 June 2012
This is just a complete waste of time every fan has all these songs on many other greats hits compilations this is just another record company churning out more money grabbing hits compilations that we all already own with no new or rare material!

Surely a compilation of live performances over her 25 years would be more interesting and whatever happened to the K25 year album of acoustic and orchestral versions of her hits.

Im a huge Kylie fan and have never had a bad word against her and the K25 stuff has been amazing until now but this is just poor!!!!!!!