4.0 out of 5 stars Great little phone

3.0 out of 5 stars Good budget android phone
Published on 17 Nov 2012 by Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little phone, 2 Dec 2012
Mr. N. Bell "n99" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I needed a small, light Android phone for my partner. I have a larger HTC (the One V) and was very pleased with it, so thought I would give the Desire C a try. I was a little concerned about all the negative reviews that complained about the lack of processing power, but phone reviewers these days do seem to mark a phone down if it can't play 3d games and run high quality movies. I did not need those features. The phone is to be used for messaging, Facebook and a little internet as well as calls.

After working on the phone for a day to transfer over photos, texts and contacts from a Nokia C5-03 I am pretty impressed. It is small and light and the white version is very cute. The screen is small but that means longer battery life and it is big enough for non-intensive browsing. The silver bezel makes the white version look smaller than the black version by the way. Had no problems with lag or stuttering screens. Everything in the OS worked seamlessly. It was a little slow to import 2500 old text messages but I think that is forgiveable :) We tried a couple of calls and the reception was clear and loud, much better than her Nokia C5-03. She is pleased to get her Audible library installed and have access to internet radio.

In summary if you want a small, competent Android phone running almost the newest Android OS then this is a good buy. The screen and processor is small so it wont suit heavy browsers or gamers but for us mortals does the trick very nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well designed compact Android device - but not powerful enough for clear Skype calls, 9 Jun 2012
Mr. T. WOOLLEY "artathom" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC Desire C Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
So, a quick review based on my experiences so far. The phone arrived today and I have been playing for a number of hours.

The phone is essentially an updated Wildfire S, with a slightly larger screen, and more internal memory. It runs Android v4. The processor is still 600 MHz, but the overall experience with the Desire C is much smoother and more responsive than the Wildfire S.

HOWEVER the major downer for me is that the processor does not have enough power for smooth Skype calls. The incoming call is slightly choppy and clicky - something that I and many others experienced with the Wildfire S, which also runs the low-end 600MHz processor.

I was hoping the updated android OS in this phone would solve the problem with skype but unfortunately it's not the case. The call quality is acceptable, but there is constant clicking and slight distortion on the incoming audio. A big shame, as there's nothing you can do about it, it's simply underpowered for the job.

The good news:

- Screen size increase over the Wildfire S makes text input significantly easier than the Wildfire S
- OS is pretty responsive and smooth
- Feels secure in the hand, while light and relatively slim. The soft feel rubbery case is grippy in the hand.
- Internal memory is a sensible 2GB, unlike the WIldfire S with a ridiculously small internal memory that filled up very quickly and caused programs like GMail to have issues.

The bad news:
- Doesn't come with any internal storage
- Low-end processor not fast enough for clear Skype calls

Otherwise, it's responsive, nicely proportioned, and competitively priced. Big shame they couldn't put a slightly more capable processor in. If you Skype a lot - better consider something else unless you don't care about clicky audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 20 Jan 2013
D. J. Hillyard (manchester, England,uk) - See all my reviews
This phone was an upgrade from the wildfire. I'm not particularly savvy with phones but the HTC wildfire was great and easy to use so I stuck to the same brand. The desire c was the cheaper option and I was initially concerned it might be too basic. I can assure you it isn't. I love this phone. I have Twitter, Instagram, etc, brilliant and easy to work with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good budget android phone, 17 Nov 2012
I can only compare with my last phone, the Samsung Monte (not a smartphone, which now sells at only a half to three quarters of the price of an HTC Desire C). A fully customizable android HTC smartphone with many of the features available from the highest spec Desire models, so there are plenty of free applications,gadgets and widgets to search for via the play store, which can be installed straight from your phone via your provider. It includes a nice portable Wifi hotspot option, so you can connect your pc or laptop straight to your phone whilst on the move to get it online (warning-not all providers may allow this option, and it may also depend on what contract you are on. If you have unlimited internet as part of any mobile phone contract, they may not allow this option to work). It supports memory cards of up to 32GB microSD - more than enough for my file storage.

I found scrolling on large webpages using the built in browser on the Desire C to be slightly laggy at times (eg scrolling up and down whilst viewing your google results), or as a large page loaded up, the phone may temporarily freeze until it was finished. I found the easy fix to this was to simply use Opera Mini, a more basic and faster java browser that I also used on the Monte. I also found the Desire C's camera shots to be lower quality and not as clear or sharp as the Samsung Monte, despite the Desire having the higher megapixel rating (5 instead of 3), and more options to choose from before taking a shot. Both phones have no flash. Video playback with some test files was not as smooth as the Monte, although the Desire had no problems with high quality youtube videos. The HTC Desire C is not recommended if you are after an android phone to play the most current big name 3d mobile games either-although some are playable with settings set very low, this is just not a very capable 3d gaming phone. Other than that, everything else available has no problems, aside from the few games or programs available that may also require a keyboard and not just a touchscreen. Also, with the Desire C being a smartphone, it's to be expected that its battery wont last anywhere near as long (Monte-one week with minimal use, Desire C-one to two days.

I would give it 3 out of 5 - an acceptable budget android smartphone, but I do not believe its worth its current selling price.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Desire C, 10 Aug 2012
I'm not one to write reviews but thought that this product deserved it.

Quite simply, for the price I payed for it, You are not going to beat it.

Does everything that I'd want from a phone and then a whole lot more.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 17 July 2012
Great phone. Pleasantly surprised. ICS runs very well on this handset...the only apps from my old Galaxy Nexus ( the nexus gave up in just 3 months of use) that didn't run here were the HDR and scanner ones. Oh, and the battery is about the best in the recent smart phones I've used ( iPhone , Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Xperia, huawei G300) . The HTC desire(black) beats them all in battery and stability department. My purple native union pop phone works very well with the C ....no need for adapters as the start and end call buttom is effective unlike with the others. The HTC C is all I use now as the battery lasts for 3 days with emails, calls and texts. Not bad for a sub 100 quid phone, eh?

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs!, 30 Nov 2013
and I'm not just saying that because I had a bad one. I bought a whole batch for my office team. Clunky. S-L-O-W You have to wait to dial a number or check a message. Always hanging. Just really, really bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone but failed expectations, 7 July 2012
I purchased this phone last week after reading a number of positive reviews on-line. Now that I have had the chance to play a bit with it I decided it was worth sharing some thoughts.

There are several characteristics which make this phone attractive:

+ low price compared to other ICS phones
+ nice compact, 'no-frills', design
+ decent battery
+ HTC name
+ good camera for its price

I was disappointed though by the following:

- the phone can be quite sluggish at times presumably because of the single-core processor
- there are no 'actual' buttons apart from a small power button, making it hard/annoying to lock or wake from sleep.
- the keyboard is relatively cramped compared to other phones (such as Galaxy II or iPhone), making it hard to type fast

If it wasn't for the last two points I would give it 4 stars, but I don't think it deserves any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket swiss army life, 23 Sep 2012
I bought this phone as I needed to
- Use Whatsapp & Skype to speak to my girlfriend who lives abroad
- Finally have a camera phone (following a year in Asia using a £20 basic phone)
- Use dictionaries and translators for learning foreign languages.

Basically, if you don't have a smartphone, it's a life saver. It does more than I initially thought, the maps function is fast and accurate, I'm constantly playing music (downloaded Mixzing Music App (free) - highly recommended) on it, and the interface is just gorgeous, as with all HTCs. I'd rather have this small thing than an iPhone, the only thing you'd gain from that is a faster processor, then you pay 3x more for it.

Things I wish I'd considered: A forward facing camera. Then it'd tick all boxes, Skype still runs quite incredibly well, and it's nice to have it facing you if you're cooking and talking for example, but you won't be able to see the recipient (unless you're handy with mirrors).

I knew the processor would be slow, that's the one thing that lets it down. But then for the price it's definitely worth putting up with. Actually, it only actually started being slow after I heaped lots of music files on it, so can hardly be blamed. I had little money to buy this, so if you've got £50 spare, maybe get the HTC Desire S (didn't go for the One V as half the reviews I read were about how many faulty units are being put out), for a faster processor. Can't remember but maybe it has a front facing camera too.

All in all, so impressed with this unit! Would buy it again if it got trod on by a mule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Love this phone, 27 Jun 2012
I had an HTC Wildfire S that fell out of my pocket onto a pile of clothes and cracked the screen, the touch pad was then completely out of use and i was fuming, the phone also had terrible memory and i found myself constantly deleting things to simply access my gallery. I saw reviews on this phone and absolutely fell in love when i recieved it. The screen is bigger yet the phone itself isnt much larger than my Wildfire which i liked because i dont like huge phones. The touch pad works so smoothly and the storage is miles better than the Wildfire. The beats audio sounds amazing and i just love the way this phone runs.

I can't really go into all the technical sides of the phone but i know for a 19 year old student who is constantly on the web/texting her friends this phone is amazing. Only thing i could comment on is the battery doesnt seem to hold out for as long as the wildfire but even then, WHO CARES?