Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.29

on 13 June 2012
This is a decent album, unfortunately for me it only lasted two plays before I got thoroughly bored.
Too much redundant cheese ( or too much 'smooth' clichès for my liking).
Some high points are a couple of the arrangements that trigger memories of Wayne Shorter's high life and one track(setembro) reminds me of Jimmy Haslip's Red Heat with Haslip pulling off that kind of thing a lot more convincingly.
MM is one of the most capable electric bassists around and the playing is excellent throughout
I just wish that his cds were nearly as strong and their sound less 'smooth' and plastiky.
I tend to think that this is his strongest one since the sun don't lie, but would say that it is not nearly as strong although the sound quality is superior.

I'd recommend listening to Wayne Shorter's 'High life' for great playing interesting pieces and arrangements.
on 29 May 2012
I saw much of the material on this CD live at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival in May 2012. It was an astonishing concert.

I was prepared to be disappointed by the studio version. But no. This is a great, great record.

The compositions are good, the playing is tight, but the production makes this record. The bass is centre stage in the mix. Sometimes tender, always funky.

Miller has a great range in his compositions. He has worked with the best, but be quite sure, this is not a musician resting on his laurels.

If the term "Jazz-funk" normally has you running for the hills, this is a good opportunity to open your ears.

Album of the year so far.
on 20 December 2012
I go by what the other reviews state - this is his strongest album, possibly ever, depending on what you hold as your favourite.

The lineup is steady through the tracks, and it shows - this a really a band with a bass player as the lead.

The writing is strong, the quality of the playing impecable.

No way is this smooth jazz - this is funky music, with strong jazz influences.

If you remotely enjoyed any of his previous albums, or are simply a true music lover, buy it.
on 12 January 2016
A truly magnificent album from Marcus.
he crosses over all genre of music and there's not a bad track on this one
on 2 June 2012
this is Marcus's best album since,(the sun don't lie)outstanding playing by all involved faves for me are
mr clean, slipping into darkness, cee-tee-eye, the gig at cheltenham was one of his best this cd just keeps the memories alive,superb all round, just buy it you will not be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 May 2012
Marcus Miller doesn't release that many albums and so this is something of an "event" in the world of bass guitar virtuosity. Straight away you are into a killer bass groove for "Detroit" and his regular band support ably throughout, as a Jazz sextet, with guests on a few tracks.

But if you've bought this album it's probably to hear the bass playing and it is well to the fore and expectedly virtuosic - with Marcus subdividing the beat in ways you never thought possible! The bass sounds superb on every track and we get plenty of funky grooves, with the occasional forray into gentler territory with fretless bass.

Marcus writes and arranges nearly everything - with a few exceptions that stand out. So "Setembro" is a Brazilian-style tune by Ivan Lins and here it has guests : Gretchen Parlato and Rube Blades on vocals. This is not your usual Latin groove and it is a very thoughtful arrangement.

The only other track with vocals is "Tightrope" which features the legendary Dr. John and is a big highlight of the album. Most of the album features the gigging band and is in Jazz territory with improvised solos against Marcus's unique grooves. The last track is an arrangement of the Jackson 5 classic "I'll be there" - but this is arranged for bass guitar only and is a "tour de force" - a lesson in how to play a tune on one instrument and not lose any of the melody or harmonic complexity.

If you like to hear virtuoso bass guitar, prominent in the mix on funky grooves - this album is amongst the best there is at that. I can't see this appealing to a wider audience, but for those fans of Marcus and the genre, this is a classy album, well up to his highest standards.
on 5 October 2013
It's Marcus Miller what more can I say :). This album is not the usual funky Marcus Miller as we know him, there are a lot more slower tracks than fast funky ones. I normally have a rule of thumb with albums which is if the first 3 tracks don't jump out at me I won't buy it and on this album they didn't. I bought the album just because it is Marcus Miller, he might be a bit annoyed about that but I'm only human :). I had to listen to the album at least 5 times over a period of time to really appreciate what Marcus has delivered. Now I have digested the album I can say that it's great. Marcus is pushing himself beyond the status quo of a jazz bass player to embrace music in it's totality .
on 2 February 2013
My favourite jazz album of 2012. Marcus delivers a real swinging album of exemplary compositions. Some riffs to die for. This is a drivetime, nighttime, anytime joy.
on 27 August 2013
One of the greatest living bassists on top form.

I'm fairly new to Marcus - but as a bass player myself (and a massive fan of Jaco, Stanley, etc.) you can't go wrong with this.

Playing is (obviously) excellent, as is the quality of the material and production. Not just a great 'bass' album, but a great album full stop. I'll definitely be buying more Marcus on the basis of this.
on 1 March 2014
Downloaded this album after seeing Miller at LJF last year. It's doesn't quite match up to seeing him live where that bass vibrates every one of your internal organs, but it's still pretty good!