4.0 out of 5 stars Asylum Tales book 0.6
Published on 23 Sept. 2012 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting glimpse at Jocelynn Drake's new world.
Published on 17 Sept. 2012 by The Demon Librarian

4.0 out of 5 stars Asylum Tales book 0.6, 23 Sept. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Asylum Interviews: Trixie: An Asylum Tales Short Story (The Asylum Tales series) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second of two prequel novellas introducing the main characters of Jocelynn Drake's upcoming Asylum Tales series. These novellas are both narrated by Gage who is the owner of the Asylum Tattoo Parlour. The first story introduced us to tattoo artist Bronx and showed how he ended up working at Asylum. The Asylum Interviews: Trixie is set 18 months after the first novella and introduces us to another new tattoo artist - Trixie.

Gage's ex-girlfriend Jo has returned to town and the attraction between them is still sizzling. He is worried that she doesn't seem to be quite her usual self but it takes Jo's friend Trixie to fill him in on the problem. Jo is being bullied by a master vampire and tattoo artist Trixie comes to Gage looking for help to put a stop to it. Can Gage, Trixie and Bronx find a way to free Jo from the vampire's clutches?

Gage and Bronx have been working together for over a year and things at the tattoo parlour are busier than ever. They have become good friends but both are suffering from overwork and they really need another artist to help take some of the pressure off. They need to find someone that they will both get on with though and it has to be someone who is as skilled at both creating tattoos and making the special potions they use in the ink too. Will they get on well enough with Trixie to offer her the job?

We don't find out much more about Gage's past in this story but he does seem to gravitate towards people who also have secrets of their own. He doesn't push them for answers and he knows they're not likely to want to delve into his past either. Trixie is hiding her true identity and I'll be very interested to find out why that is as the series continues. As much as we don't get to find out more about Gage's secret past we do get to know his character a bit better. I am really coming to like all of these characters, Gage can come across as a bit of an ass at times but that is his way of keeping people at a distance and deep down he is a nice, caring guy. Bronx always manages to add humour to any situation but he is definitely the kind of guy you'd like to have at your back if you're in trouble and Trixie is a straight talking, spunky woman who won't take any crap but who will risk herself to protect her friends.

If you enjoyed The Asylum Interviews: Bronx then you'll love Trixie's story just as much. You don't have to read either of these novellas before picking up the first book in the series but I would recommend giving them a try. These stories have left me eager to get started on Angel's Ink - this is definitely a new urban fantasy series to watch out for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great novella, looking forward to reading the full length books, 2 April 2013
MY REVIEW
Again I purchased this one from Amazon.co.uk. As I had read Blood by Moonlight, I wanted to read more of The Asylum series. I will admit I have managed to read the Asylum Interview novellas all in the wrong order but, to be truthful it hasn't really mattered. I have still enjoyed the novellas. I have loved learning more about the characters.
The cover I admit to not been as keen on. The female on the front could be either Trixie or Jo.
We see the protective side of Gage when it turns out his ex-girlfriend Jo is being mis treated by her new nest master Chester. As Jo has returned to town there are no spaces left in her old nest. there are only a number of spaces allowed since the government brought in certain rules and regulations to keep the vampires in line. So when Michelle, the leader of Jo's old nest tells Jo there's no room at the moment. Jo is forced to join the other nest in town which is ruled by a rather more sadistic, cruel and somewhat weird Chester.
Gage is upset, disappointed and enraged when Trixie lets him know how Chester is mistreating Jo, his first reaction is to nip around and rip Chester's head off! Then he listens to reason and decides to be more careful for Jo's sake and use a bit of magic to help.
I like all the characters in this series that I have come across so far, the protective, kind, generous yet hard, tough tattoo artist Gage, the gentle giant troll Bronx and the cute little . . .well we don't officially know what she is yet so Trixie. we do know Trixie is hiding from someone or something as she is using glamour to disguise her appearance. Even though Gage can see through the glamour he keeps quiet, like Gage I am sure we will hear Trixie's Problem soon. So now we have met those that work at The Asylum tattoo parlour . . and some of Gage's friends too in Parker, Jill and Jo.
So did I enjoy this novella? Yes, once again, I really did. Would I recommend? Yes, though with a warning these novellas so far give me the feeling this series is more adult themed and aimed. Will I read more of this Series? I already have and yes I hope to read even more! Would I read other books/novellas by Jocelynn Drake? Yes I think I would try other books by her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction for the novel that follows..., 6 Jan. 2013
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is Ms Drake's second novella prequel to her book Angel's Ink: The Asylum Tales (Unti Jocelynn Drake). It's set about 18 months after the first, The Asylum Interviews: Bronx: An Asylum Tales Short Story, and introduces Trixie to the world of Gabe, a warlock in hiding from just about everyone, who runs a tattoo parlour with Bronx, a troll. Bronx and Gabes's meeting is covered in the first novella.
This is a tight little tale about helping out friends, and learning that you don't necessarily know people as well as you thought. Gabe seems to know everyone useful, so when he needs help tackling a master vampire without being charged with first degree murder, he needs some tricksy help! It subsequently turns out that he wasn't the only one being a touch tricksy...
An interesting comment towards the end, where Gabe is thinking about the secrets he's kept from Jo, a more than 300-year old vampire, including that "... I was more dangerous than her on her worst blood-lust rampage." Really? That's potentially interesting!
Good, and I'm off to download Angel's Ink, even though I've got work I should be doing!

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting glimpse at Jocelynn Drake's new world., 17 Sept. 2012
So, forgive me for being dense here, but I was under the impression this was going to be all about Trixie (whoever she may be) and therefore perhaps written from her POV. Colour me puzzled then when it's actually written in 1st person POV from a man--or a warlock as it happens--called Gage. It's about his first meeting with Trixie when she first came to Low Town, the setting for this new Urban Fantasy series. So, intrigued by this discovery I then went to read the blurb for the first full-length book, Angel's Ink, more closely (with my eyes open and everything) and saw that that is also going to be told from Gage's POV. Now, before you all start "duh"ing me, you have to admit the title and the cover art suggests a female main character. Does it or does it not? I don't read very many series with male main characters; only really my beloved Atticus from the Iron Druid Chronicles, which is also penned by a man. So this being written by a woman is doubly intriguing.

Of course, it's not the first time Drake has written from the male perspective. She did one of the books in her Dark Days series from Danaus' POV, but it still strikes me as an unusual way to go. And kinda misleading with the covers having girls on.

Anyway, once my confusion cleared I found I rather liked Gage. He seems like an interesting and likeable chap. Slightly flawed in his plans to be an a-hole in order to keep the beautiful Trixie at bay, but nice nonetheless. He strikes me as the reluctant hero type. He tells you he's all bad, bad, bad but his actions prove otherwise.

Other characters we met were Jo, the ex-girlfriend/vampire guitar player. Bronx, the troll and partner at Gage's tattoo parlour. A few gargoyles. A delightful Chinese fellow called Chang who seems to be able to procure almost anything magical, for a price. And of course, Trixie. A woman who seems to be hiding a few secrets and is so far unaware that Gage is on to her.

So, it all looks very promising. There's a nice mix of supernatural species and the characters I've met seem interesting but flawed, with lots of secrets yet to be uncloaked. And most especially, I was pleased to see that the overall tone of the world and characters seems lighter that her previous series. I did enjoy Dark Days and read through them very quickly, but I never really connected to the main character, Mira. She was so cold, and some of the scenes were so violent-- literal blood baths--that it got too much for me. But so far, from what I've seen from this small sample, it appears this isn't going to be quite as dark; there was some nice funny dialogue and Gage seems a much warmer character. Hopefully it will be just as exciting and fast-paced, though.

I'm looking forward to getting to Angel's Ink to find out more about everyone I've just met. And there's also another novella, The Asylum Interviews: Bronx, presumably about how Gage met his Troll friend, that I might get beforehand too.

3.5 Stars ★★★1/2
ARC provided by the publisher for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOMETHING DIFFERENT, 9 Aug. 2014