5.0 out of 5 stars More than a mere pastiche
This is a very classy album which should probably be required listing for all contestants in the current crop of Saturday night warble fests. Sure, it looks and sounds as if it was recorded in 1972 but Sarah Joyce is such a gifted interpreter of this material that it never sounds like a pastiche or a mere exercise in nostalgia. The song choice is solid, mining a number of...
Published on 29 May 2012 by Robert Pomeroy

3.0 out of 5 stars Sends you back to the originals
There will be no arguments from me about the quality of Rumer's song selections, all from male singer songwriters of the 70s and many neglected for far too long, for example, Clifford T Ward's emotional Home Thoughts From Abroad. My problem with the album is that it makes me want to go back to John Oates' original guitar intro to Sarah Smile or to hear the strings coming...
Published on 4 Jun 2012 by Martin Fielding

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Five Star album...but pleasant enough until we get her next album of new material, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Rumer mentioned in her St. James Church concert that she is working on an album of new material which will be released at the end of 2012, but she didn't want to keep her fans waiting so she released this album over 70s cover songs: "Boys Don't Cry".

This album definitely is a slow-burner. It is not as instantly-catchy as I found her first album "Seasons of my Soul" was, so I implore you to repeat the album a few times for it to become enjoyable. It definitely wasn't a smart commercial move for Rumer to release an album of obscure covers for her sophomore album, but I appreciate this album was a gift for her (growing!) fanbase. Cover Albums only sell well once an artist has an established fan-base, so I doubt this album will be lighting up the Charts. But, I imagine that Rumer had to fight hard with her Record Company to get the OK to release this album...so kudos to her for not "selling-out" and releasing some AutoTune mainstream crap featuring LMFAO!

Rumer's first album had a more 70s Carpenters influence, but this album almost has a country-twang to most songs...and Rumer uses her higher vocal range on songs like "Sara Smile" which Karen Carpenter never would have done. I am glad Rumer is not trying to be a Karen sound-a-like on this album...but rather she is developing her own voice and style. If you can find Rumer's live version of "This Masquerade" you will see that Rumer doesn't sing like Karen Carpenter at all. The album production and over-dubbing are similar to Carpenters-style...but Rumer uses her higher singing register more frequently on this album.

The stand-out tracks on "Boys Don't Cry" are "It Could Be The First Day" which would have been a great album opener, instead of "P.F. Sloan". "Be Nice To Me" is a sweet song with a simple melody. "Travelin' Boy" sounds very much like the Carpenters song "Hideaway". The line "I won't say that I'll be back again/'cause time alone will tell" sounds exactly like the line from that Carpenters track: "I'll save my pennies for a rainy day/but where can I buy another you". The bonus track "Soul Rebel" has instrumentation like The Eagles song "Tequila Sunrise". It's a cosy (almost sexy!) campfire type sing-a-long song which Rumer sings effortlessly. "A Man Needs A Maid" sounds like a misogynistic song title, but Rumer sings the lyrics to this Neil Young tune very articulately and intimately.

My absolute favourite track on the album is "We Will", originally by Gilbert O'Sullivan! It is a very un-assuming song with a subtle melody that you could miss on the first listen...but once you catch it, the earworm gets stuck in your head! It is a beautiful song that tells a story...three little vignettes about life: a mother telling her children to go to bed, a visit from Uncle Frank and Auntie May, and kids planning a soccer game. The original O'Sullivan version is a bit schmaltzy because he used a children's choir to sing the (brief) chorus...but Rumer sings her entire version and it is a tear-jerker. I am not sure if the British slang featured in the song would be understood by American fans...but it is a very realistic song that Rumer casually and effectively floats through.

My only disappointment is that some of the best cover versions Rumer has sung did not end up on this album. I urge you to seek out Rumer's version of "Welcome Back". Yes, it is the theme to a cheesy 70s TV show starring John Travolta...but her interpretation is just so catchy and joyous. It really should have been included on the album because it isn't a morose ballad like most of the album tracks. She also did a gorgeous version of "Moon River" which was flawless...but sadly that didn't make the cut (Although "My Cricket", which is on this album, sounds similar to "Moon River"). Rumer also posted her cover of Randy Newman's "Marie" on Facebook and it is such a shame that didn't end up on the album, as she nails it! Hopefully, it surfaces as a B-Side soon.

Some of the cover version are a bit disappointing. Nothing to do with Rumer's vocals...but rather the song selection. "P.F Sloan" has a repetitive and droning hook, but I can understand why it was released as a lead single, as it is the song on this album that has the most percussion+beat to be radio-friendly...but, I find the "No-n-n-no-n-no-n-no-no-no-no" irritating. I am not a fan of "Soulsville" either because it sounds like something Joss Stone would try to sing (the whole "white-British-chick-trying-to-sound-like-a-black-gospel-singer). "Home Thoughts From Abroad" is song about missing your lover, which literally uses the chorus "I miss you"...a bit too uninspired.

While I appreciate Rumer selecting obscure album tracks instead of standard cover songs...honestly, sometimes there is a reason certain songs weren't released as a Single in the first place and why some songs just stayed album tracks. Some of these songs were "filler" album tracks back then...and they are still "filler" album tracks now. I have listened to "Brave Awakenings" , "Just For A Moment" and "Andre Johray" about 10 times each, and while Rumer's voice is on-point, the melodies are subtle...almost TOO subtle to be catchy enough to make me want to hit the Repeat button.

Honestly, I am more excited about the next album of original Rumer songs to be released at the end of this year...but this album is pleasant enough to pass the time. I strongly recommend getting the Deluxe Version...as the four Bonus Tracks are better than some of the album tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Not every song on this CD will appeal but still worth the buy, only played occasionally but appreciated every time

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Album, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
A dreamy voice reminiscent of Karen Carpenter. Easy to listen to and a great artist. Look forward to more work from her

5.0 out of 5 stars Boys don't cry. Rumer., 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Rumer can do no wrong. She is very brave recording an album like this one, and it works. I do actually listen to her earlier one, "Seasons of my Soul" more, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, 18 Aug 2013
Brian E. Viercant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry [VINYL] (Vinyl)
She has one of the great voices of this era, its soft and gentle, but with power when needed. This album has really established Rumer as a true artist with a great future. Item arrived safely and promptly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mostly wonderful collection of covers, 28 April 2013
Peter Jesperson (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Rumer is fearless in her selection of covers. Who'd have thought she could pull off an Isaac Hayes cover so well?! Won't mention any names but there are a couple of selections that are a bit too middle-of-the-road for me but, overall, I like the record very much. Think it's a fine 2nd record though not nearly as strong as her brilliant debut.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 19 April 2013
Amazon Customer (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (MP3 Download)
It is similar to her first album in her singing style but to be hornet that was the reason I wanted it. I loved the first album and I wanted more of the same, and this has done it for me
I find her voice beautiful and easily listen to her at home while relaxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars music, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (MP3 Download)
Superb voice and very easy to listen to. I have really enjoyed listening to this album. I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong!, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Rumer is so great that even these covers are fab. Travelling Boy is my favourite. She puts a different slant on them, and has brought to life some, well for me, unknown songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have Sarah, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Audio CD)
Sarah Joyce AKA Rumer, such a breath of spring air and sounds very reminiscent of Karen Carpenter there the similarity ends Sarah is very much unique and worth a listen.

I have almost all her Output to date.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›