on 21 May 2012
This Complete Guide to Windows 8 is packed with information about Microsoft's next-gen operating system. I'm really looking forward to Windows 8, and this is the perfect starters' guide, with about 100 pages of tutorials and information.
There's a great introduction to the different versions of Windows 8 - why can't there just be one, like Apple does with Mac OS X?
The New Features section is indepth, and by reading this guide I think I'll be ready to really roll with Windows 8 as soon as it comes out later in the year.
Recommended!
on 6 December 2012
Produced before the final retail release of Windows 8, it obviously has some omissions and differences in what you get in the final product. Mainly niggling things like continual reference to the Metro UI ( the name was dropped well before release). However the biggest problem, and why I gave up on it is the continual repetition of 'features'. It was almost as if the book was written by many different people, all contributing a chapter and repeating what others were saying - it got tedious. As a result the book feels twice as long as it needs to be, there are better books available.
on 21 May 2013
I bought this guide because I was new to windows 8.I was put off Windows 8 because of the negitive reviews on the net. This guide taught me that Windows 8 is just techie progress not always thought out but it is just a different kind of operating system and we have to accept change and relearn as we continue to use computers. There is always a work around if you dont like features in Windows 8. The guide is a bit to much into windows OS history and also the comparison between older windows versions. However, hang in there, the guide is good and gives you a very good grounding to get you started using Windows 8 and also encourages you to read more about the more advanced features of Windows 8. It is a good guide and value for money.
on 27 February 2013
While it might have been useful when written this is based on and published some months before Windows 8 was finally published. While this might be OK in a second hand book shop there is little reason for an electronic version newly purchased not to have been up-dated or at least come with a warning before paying.
on 21 May 2012
there's a lot of good information about windows 8 here. i like the layout and it is easy to read. some of the information is about the consumer preview but i suppose that is all there is right now. thanks for the good book.
on 28 November 2012
At the [rice this was worth having if you cover a large area of the country in your wanderings. It could help you to choose an area that matches your interest. The detail may not be as full as one would wish but to cover the large area in more detail in a book at this price is not to be expected. It does to some extent point out some of the factors that might affect your choice before tackling a walk in an area that is new to you.
on 30 March 2013
Very happy with. Found it concise but helpful. A useful reference for Windows 8. Good value for money I would say.
on 5 January 2013
I am sure that this guide would be useful to younger people but being in my eighties I need something more! I have chosen and purchased locally with some Smith's book coupons received for Christmas, Steve Johnson's Windows 8 in full color in the "brilliant" series - I think this should be very helpful to me. It wouldn't be possible for me to receive it for my "early" Kindle in colour in any case!
on 6 July 2014
There are a number of Windows 8 books available and this really is not the one you should choose. It was written before the OS was actually sold with PCs and the first third of the book is padded out with a comprehensive history of MS Operating Systems. This is great if you want a Microsoft history lesson but what follows is is only marginally better.

Honestly, try another book.
on 13 January 2013
I bought this in readfiness for the introductionof Windows 8 but on reading reviews of the new system I decided against it for the time being. The book will be useful if I decide to have Windows 8 in the future.