5.0 out of 5 stars A book about living
This is one of the most beautiful books I ever read. It's not a book about death, it's about living life...fearlessly. Don't expect to find formulas on how to heal cancer, because it's not what this book is all about and yet it's worth reading because Anita's points of view, are really worth reading about.

To me this was a big eye opener and I sit here with a...
Published on 5 Mar 2012 by Susannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
Published 7 months ago by Hera

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about living, 5 Mar 2012

To me this was a big eye opener and I sit here with a great sense of peace surrounding me. I think I finally get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tale, must read, 15 April 2012
This book is incredible the lady was effectively dead and in last stage cancer and a coma, yet a month later she is walking out of hospital without a sign of any of it in her system.

The journey she takes is documented in this well written, warm and personal book that brings to life her tale and if read objectively raises a lot of questions about how we view life, death and the afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 beautiful and 3 puzzling things about this book, 10 Aug 2014
3 things I loved in this book:

-Powerful message about us being pure love at our core, self-love or love for other, and being part of one. No evil or devil exists but just the lack of love - I am wishing it is true.

- Eternal life that we share with our special loved ones through multiple lives. The thought of not loosing our family and friends for any long time but 'keep meeting again and continue where we left it' makes us powerful, happy, and even more appreciative of our friends and relatives. Without this belief or knowledge, we are all too vulnerable, unhappy, and panicky at times.

- I always had the parenting concept of at least making the kids have a big laugh each day (more importantly than 5 fruit or veg a day). This book communicated this thought so clearly and reconfirmed my 'weird' idea.

3 puzzling things:

- In one of two YouTube videos I watched about the author, she refers to becoming aware during her NDE that her body will heal fully and that this information was perhaps coming from the 'the Source'. I wish this was also mentioned in the book. In the book she rather refers to just 'becoming aware' of this fact. For me it is important that God exists, even if we all are interlinked, and has a healing power. I think otherwise that the book does not contradict a religion, such as Christianity. I agree with refuting dogmas, such as what her catholic school sister told her that you need to go to church on Sundays to pray in order to manage it to heaven. In fact the bible says you should prey alone and close the door.

- The fact that she discovered a lump under the collar bone of her left or right side does not appear to be important. It still puzzles me why the book contradicts and first mentions left side but then Dr Ko's notes mention right side? More puzzling that I noted that the author in one of the two YouTube videos points to left side, while in the other to the right side when talking about where she first noted a lump. Perhaps this can be forgotten after a long disease. When you talk about extraordinary experience, credibility is important and perhaps photocopies of some medical records would have been useful in the book.

- I hated chapter 6. The way it is written just creates fear and anxiety - the opposite of the stated aim of the book. Because of this chapter, the YouTube videos are better than reading the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing (Unabridged) (Audio Download)
I think that in their enthusiasm to get this book out the reader was somehow forgotten. It became only about the author and her wonderful experience and little thought was given to reader expectation. The first part of the book was very fascinating but the last part was very weak when it should have built on the significance of the NDE and helped the readers see how it could apply to their own lives. I have read hundreds of books about NDEs and am, like many readers these days, what you might call a seasoned New Age reader, so I bought this book expecting more than just an account of the experience. I already believe in the authenticity of NDEs so I had hoped for more than what the book offered. Having read about the NDE and the author's recovery I expected to learn how to avoid cancer but the explanation was very airy fairy and all about just loving yourself. To some extent I can understand that we are all a little hard on ourselves but to say that by simply loving yourself you can avoid cancer seems over simplistic and it was not explained well. I also felt that in the last part of the book the author got so involved with her feelings she forgot about the reader. It became like a stream of consciousness essay. This book should have used the undoubtedly wonderful experience to help the readers relate it to their own lives but it did not. I was left with the impression that the author was advocating that you detach yourself from life, remove yourself from any involvement, and simply become a spectator in order to save yourself from illness but even this was very vague. The book was a great opportunity to teach people about how to avoid cancer but this was wasted as there was no real practical application to be found so that disappointed me.

However the thing that frustrated me most was the author's statement that there is no right or wrong. Apparently we can murder three thousand people and be welcomed home into the hereafter as a returning hero because it is all about the experience. Presumably the victims should just be grateful that they too had a life experience. It was a very sweeping thing to say and challenges the fundamental beliefs which underpin many peoples' lives but it was not really discussed properly. If indeed there is no right or wrong, it makes me question why I have ever bothered to do what I thought was right and I found that somewhat depressing. I would like to suggest however that what she witnessed and experienced was actually the souls LAST and FINAL return to God and the remerging with All that Is and if that is the case then she is probably correct. We are all welcome back to God regardless of our past. However, although I am sure there is no judgement by God in the way that some religions believe, other books indicate that we judge ourselves immediately after we die and we do learn that hurting others carries lessons and life is more than than just a self- indulgent experience.

Overall the description of the NDE and the author's recovery was wonderful and moving in itself but the book lost me after that. I didn't really learn how I can avoid cancer. I also was told that I needn't bother believing in "right" because "right" does not exist. According to the author it is all about the life experience and terrorists are as good as saints. I think that would be a difficult one to sell to those who have lost loved ones to terrorism but this should have been discussed properly instead of being casually addressed. It is just too big an issue to be mentioned in passing and I can understand that it might upset some people. If you are going to be controversial you need to argue your case in depth and the author did not do that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting!, 12 Mar 2012
The author of this book was dying of cancer and had just hours to live, as her organs were shutting down. She slipped into a coma and experienced a glimpse of life after death. It was a good experience for her. She was free from pain and sensed a greater reality beyond this world. She communicated with people that had died before her and she felt a sense of 'unconditional love'. This love, she felt, extends to all - even the murderers and rapists and to people of all religions and none.

I liked a lot of what this lady said. I liked her rejection of religion and doctrine. The God of religion was nothing like what she experienced. In fact, one line stands out for me in this book. She stated that she realised that 'God was not a being, but a state of being'. Even as a sceptic and definite non-believer in any mainstream religion, this statement resonates with me. 'God' is found in caring for someone, making a cup of tea for a lonely neighbour, acts of kindness and sacrifice, great works of creativity etc. I can believe in this sort of god....

When Anita returned to her body, she spoke of how she was able to see what others were doing whilst she was in the coma. She could hear what others were saying and they were able to verify this. This seems to be quite common for people with near death experiences. Either she's telling the truth and there really is something after death, or this book is a cynical invention to make money after a extraordinarily lucky spontaneous remission of cancer . I want to believe every word Anita has written, but I just have a couple of reservations:

Anita describes how she was able to read the emotions and thoughts of the hospital staff and others as she was recovering. She set up her music player in the intensive care ward and had to stop after receiving complaints about the noise. I wondered why she was not able to read the irritation of those that complained. I emailed this question to her from her website but received no reply. A small thing, perhaps....

The very title leads me on to the next reservation. A lot of the book seems to have a great emphasis on the author's liberation from social and cultural restrictions - almost as if her near death experience is a metaphor for her determination to be herself and not follow the dictates of her religion and culture.

If there really is a life after death, what do we actually DO for all eternity? Imagine ten billion years of happiness and creativity, love and wonder? What then? Wouldn't you get bored and then ask 'what now'? It's hard to see the point of life without an after-life but it's also hard to see the ultimate point of an after-life too! What do others think?

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for words!, 5 Jun 2012
I knew as soon as I started reading this book that this book was going to form a very dear place in my heart like no other book has before. I can honestly say that I've never been so moved as I was by Anita's journey and the messages that her NDE gives to us. There were moments in the book where I was move to tears and felt the need to highlight lots of amazing quotations and passages.

The book is split into three sections- the first, about Anita's life and diagnosis; the second, about her life after her recovery and finally, the messages she brought back with her after her NDE. I've decided for this review not to delve into too many 'spoilers', as I'd love everyone to read this book. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the world would be a better place if we did all read this book!

I know that I'll read this book again and again and will recommend it highly to my family and friends. I feel that Anita's messages have made me look at the world in a different way, as lots of other reviewers have commented, and that I am a better person for having read this book. I can't recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful read, 16 Mar 2012
This is a lovely book, well written and easy to read. Anita describes her childhood in a Hindu home and her journey in life until she became ill with cancer. She describes all her fears in life. She battles with a four year illness that leads her ending up in a coma, where she then describes the NDE. Her description of her near death experience whilst in a coma was very detailed and honest. Its sounds like an amazing place to be and takes the fear away of dying. The book then continues with the choice to come back, her recovery and her new life.

The last two chapters is her message to the world where Anita expresses the importance of living life fearlessly and always making yourself happy. Souls are not judged in the other realm and everyone is treated with the same love.
I agree with this in theory but felt this is not possible when one has to live with other people amongst family members and within communities etc. We have to consider others and cannot always think of ourselves otherwise we would become selfish.
Anita says you must love yourself unconditionally and then you can share the love with others but how many people do you know that love themselves so much that they almost forget to share the love. The ego takes overs.
I believe in karma and reincarnation and that we will be judged at some point, maybe not as soon as we arrive.
Because of my belief i cannot believe that this is the answer. Its only a part of it. One must love themselves and be happy but they must also show gratitude, work hard, make sacrifices and live in harmony with others.

What I have learnt from this book is I must remember to love myself more often that I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books you will ever read, 13 April 2012
An uplifting, joy giving book, beautifully written and very powerful. I feel A sense of liberation, hope and joy after reading it. Thank you Anita.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a good read !, 2 April 2012
This was a good read ! A real eye opener. One learns so much. A story of faith and survival. Thank you so much for sharing the story!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't finish, 28 Jan 2013
S. J. Tofield "Sue Tofield" (Buckinghamshire England) - See all my reviews
I bought this on somebody elses recommendation and although I should have been moved and was a bit at first, I soon found it boring after a while, it seemed repetitive and droned on a bit for me.