5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative
I very rarely feel inspired to write reviews on games, but I feel compelled to with Far Cry 3 as it is simply glorious. I've been feeling incredibly disillusioned with gaming of late, having not purchased a new title since F1 2012 when it was released late last year. For a FPS to pull me out of this doldrum is really something.

Let me be clear here: I've...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, not a classic but worth a go
I didn't play the first two games but as this got many good/great reviews I thought I'd give it a go and I just finished it last night.

I can't comment on whether it's better than its predecessors, or what the differences are but this has been covered in other reviews on here anyway so I'll just let you know my impressions.

Pros:

- Big...
Published 14 months ago by TJH

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Let me be clear here: I've struggled to get excited by action games lately because I feel too many developers are happy to play the easy COD/Battlefield/Gears of War linear cinematic shooter card to score easy points. Frankly, having played the aforementioned games to death, I lost my enthusiasm for scripted shooters and with it my enthusiasm for shooters in general. The last shooter I played that I found genuinely exciting was Red Dead Redemption.

My honest appraisal of FC3's gameplay is that, despite being a FPS, it is much closer to something like RDR or even Skyrim. You get given a mission with a point to go to and something to do there, but how you go about achieving it is up to you. Walk, drive, swim, boat, even zipline to get there, and then take down your enemies by run-and-gun, stealth, sniping or a mixture. Adding to this is a detailed crafting system whereby you can hunt and skin animals or collect plant life and use the spoils to create improved bags and holsters for your weapons and ammo, or syringes of natural drugs that boost your health or abilities. Add this to a levelling-up system that allows Skyrim-style selection of perks (and a small addition to your character's tattoo sleeve, which is a great touch for a tat fan like myself) and you find the gameplay has so much more depth and replay value than a generic modern shooter.

The open-world sandbox nature of the game makes one-off events much more varied and unpredictable. As an example that I experienced recently, parking up at the side of the road at the unexpected sight of some wildlife in the thick jungle off to the side, sneaking off to hunt them, and returning to find that during your absence a carload of pirates have pulled up and are checking out your abandoned car. This sort of thing is what I love to see in action games.

Graphics and sound are excellent too. A lush tropical paradise is an ideal and in some way cliche setting for a game but it's really depicted well here, from the foam forming on waves breaking on the beach, to translucent dirt outside the range of your jeep's windscreen wipers. Guns all have their own unique individual sound which varies depending on your surroundings, and the wet squelch when you run your hunting knife through an adversary's windpipe is cringeworthy in its realism. I love that you hear your own character speak frequently as well; too often nowadays the protagonist is left faceless and characterless.

I've heard the only real downside of this game is that the multiplayer isn't as excellent as the solo game. Unfortunately I can't comment on that as my Xbox isn't online anymore. To be honest I like the fact that a developer has focused more on a good single-player experience than multi as not all of us want to play deathmatches against precocious 12 year old snipers all the time (take note, Infinity Ward and Treyarch). Apparently there is a map creation tool which could be good if implemented properly but as I say, if you're more of a multiplayer gamer I'm not the one to ask.

Overall I can't recommend this game enough. I feel it has re-invigorated my love for games and offers that "just another 10 minutes before bed" factor that I haven't experienced in a long time. If you have been suffering similar reservations about games of late, I suggest you go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant!, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I knew very little about Far Cry 3 for a long time. I've never played the first or second, and it wasn't until I saw it at number 1 of the amazon games chart I noticed it. Thank God I did because this is in my opinion, is one of the best games of 2012.

Far Cry 3 is an open world first-person shooter video game, set on a tropical island found somewhere at the intersection of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. When a member of a group of vacationers are kidnapped by a pirate lord and slave trader (Vass) escapes from the pirates, he must fight for survival, train, and attempt to save his friends before it's too late.

Let me start by saying how amazing the plot of the game is, from the minute the game opens you are hooked. The plot is dark, twisted, and gets deeper and deeper as you progress through the game. The characters, (particularly the lead Jason and main antagonist Vass) are brilliant, well developed and acted. The development of Jason is some of the best I've ever seen in a game, going from a scared young man who's never fired a weapon, to a bloodthirsty killer, becoming something he is fighting against. Vass is brilliant, he's twisted, he's sick, he's witty (particularly at the start) and is in my opinion the best villain in gaming this year.

The graphics and setting are also fantastic, the island is literally alive. The pirates are always actively hunting you down, searching for you on foot and in vehicles. The same can be said about wildlife, which are fantastic additions to the game. I'll never forget viewing a tiger chasing deer on the other side of a river where a crocodile was to attack me. Brilliant.

Vehicles are also a plus, differing from jeeps, to boats, to hand gliders, all of which are fun to use.
The game has a number of side missions, all of which are diverse and extremely fun to play. These include killing antagonists for rewards, delivering items in set times, hunting down animals for crafting, reclaiming radio towers to unlock numerous features, infiltrating and taking over pirate bases. All of this on top of a lengthy campaign adds up to hours of game play.

The multi-player is also pretty good, particularly the co-op maps. There are the classics such as deathmatch and some interesting original additions. I can't really say much about the multi-player because it doesn't really appeal to me. I came to the game for an incredible story and that is what I got.

In conclusion, this game is excellent, and is amongst my top 5 games of 2012. Its well-worth the price, providing and excellent story and open world experience. A fantastic game throughout.

Final Verdict:
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Open-World Setting: 10/10
Story: 10/10
Multiplayer: 7/10
Action: 10/10
OVERALL: 9.5/10 (5 Stars)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply one of the best games on Xbox 360!!, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
No need for me to go on and on about what this game offers in terms of storyline and what the game actually is as you can found this just by reading the breakdown on Amazon.

If you are familiar with Far Cry 2 then this is similar in play to that except instead of Africa it is a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, open world Tropical Island setting. There are nice added features though with the crafting, hunting (brilliant fun to creep up on a tiger with hunting bow in hand and deliver head shot!) and use of weapons which just enhances this game from Far Cry 2 (which was brilliant in itself anyway). Thankfully the minor bad points in 2 are addressed for example the vehicles are more durable in 3 and there are more safe houses that can automatically be jumped to without the long mission of driving/running to specific point in the map.

All I really need to say is this is quite simply one of the best games I have ever played; hours roll by when playing, I can immerse myself into a session quite easily which I can't with other games and not even realise 2 or 3 hours has gone by! I can't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed with this game if the purchase it, graphics-amazing, gameplay-long, interesting, easy to figure out and overall extremely fun which surely is the main reason for playing a game in the first place?!

18 Feb 2013 update:

Well it's been a few months and I'm still playing it! Only just onto the second island with the privateers and seems like it will be better than the first so in for treat. The value for money on this game is incredible. Haven't tried multiplayer and not likely to so unable to comment on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Cry 3 is Grand Theft Auto in the jungle and thats a good thing, 14 Jun 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Far Cry 3 is a great game that will having you wanting for more once you finish the game. This game is very similar to the Grand Theft Auto games. The game is an open world game that is set in the jungle. The game has tons of different missions and none of the missions feel repetitive in nature. The game mechanics are good and there are some good Role Playing Game (RPG) elements to the game which makes you want to upgrade your character. You can easily get about 50 hours of gameplay out of this game. The game does not have any dead spots and is definitely not boring. I enjoyed this game and would definitely recommend it.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game I have ever played, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I just love this game so much. It is different in feel and gameplay to Far Cry 2, it is far more playable. Having said that, if you don't get on board with the crafting early on you cold be in for a rough ride.
I love the hunting aspect, the graphics are amazing. I love the bright sunshine, the beautiful island. The characters are fine, yes the frat boy element is a little annoying but I don't really care about that, I'm not Jason; I'm the one who's sneaking up on a pirate base only to get attacked by a bear or one of those crazy birds. Fantastic game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far Cry, Cry, Hush Hush, Eye to Eye, 14 Nov 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If recent computer games have taught me anything it is to make sure that I am never shipwrecked on a remote island. Gone are the days of speaking to a handball and instead you will be chased around the inlets by crazy death loving criminals. It has happened to Lara Croft and it happens in `Far Cry 3'. You play Jason, a bloke stranded on an island and separated from his friends. You must sneak and kill hundreds of psychopathic enemies to gather your pals and get off the island.

The `Far Cry' series has always been a slow burn for me and not something that I have any real attachment too. I have played all the games in the series, but found each a little overlong and dry. `Far Cry 3' is the best yet. The game is basically a third person shooter with limited open world aspects. Over time, large areas of the island open up to you; you can takeover enemy strongholds, undertake hunting missions, or partake in a race or two. All these run parallel to a story that has you trying to escape from more than one absolute psychopath.

It is integral for your advancement in the game that you undertake at least some of the side missions. Doing so gives you experience and money that can be spent on bettering your character, if you wish to take on some of the harder missions later in the game; you will need to have unlocked some of the more advanced fighting techniques. Thankfully, the side missions are excellent fun; especially the base battles. You can look around for a weakness and try and exploit it via stealth or all out action. The main story missions open up the game further and it is here that you get some excellent set pieces.

With plenty of the island to explore and a multiplayer mode, `Far Cry 3' is good value for money. The graphics are impressive and the shooting mechanics work very well. I was less impressed with the driving, as I careened down another valley by mistake. An area that did impress was the voice acting. The bad guys in particular were portrayed in a chilling fashion that really added to the game. `Far Cry 3' is perhaps a little generic in places to stand out as a classic of this generation, but it remains a very impressive title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm usually not a great fan of the first person shooter but this game is the exception. Visually stunning and the game play is spot on. The story line is not half bad also.

The voices are great although the language can be a bit colourful at times. Buy this game, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD!!!!, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game just ate my day. I've been waiting for this game for what seems like an age so when I got my lovely Amazon parcel on my doorstep today excited was not a big enough exclamation. I can say with all authority that this game didn't let me down at all. In fact i can only find two problems with the game at all and I've been playing for 8 hours solid.

The first issue is the map i love the fact that you can only fast travel to certain locations and can only do that once you have taken over an outpost, however for some reason i find it hard to actually put the cursor onto the fast travel spots. The cursor jumps to it when its close enough but if you hold it a bit too long it jumps on the goes over it very annoying but not really much of an issue.

Second issue is the giant killer birds that seem to kill me more often than tigers, leopards and any other species you care to mention, they do say that the jungle is a dangerous place though so I think I can let that slide.

OK so I'm fairly certain that my five star rating will convince everyone I like this game but I would just like to say a few things that make it better than the second far cry.

1. Faster cars, every car has been ramped up with extra speed and cooler handling got to be a good thing.
2. Modifiable weapons, most weapons come with a variety of different upgrades that be purchased at any safe house.
3. Saving, you can now save at any time and don't have too travel miles and miles and miles to a safe house to save.
4. Aquatic creatures and more underwater features such as ship wrecks.
5. More detail on the map, its not like in the second far cry there wasn't any detail it just happened to be all in little chunks with loads of nothing in between. This map has loads of detail even in places you wouldn't expect.
6. It's easier to get money and unlock weapons, far cry 2 was based on you finding diamonds in briefcases all over the map or completing missions, where this is currency based which you can find almost anywhere including searching bodies, finding boxes and gambling mini games.

These are things i didn't like with far cry 2 but have been fixed in far cry 3. Don't be put off if you didn't like far cry 2 this game has changed a lot and feels much more friendly to players, however if you loved far cry 2 then you will still love this because even after they changed all this it still feels far cry!!
happy hunting

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
My love of farcry came from the first game when the predator expansion came out, it was truly one of a kind, but i was a little disappointed with farcry 2 as although the layout was amazing it seemed very limited and once the story was over there wasnt much to the game so i was easily bored.. As a result i was a little sceptical of getting the third untill i saw the trailors and gameplay videos which actually made me excited to get the game :L and it was not misplaced as the story line is illusive and mind blowing, truly worthy of being called insane, along with the cutting edge graphics and stunning visuals! It is definately a must have must play, and even now that i have finished the experience has made me want to play the story all over again just to see the explosive, independant role you play as the main character! There is far too much to do in this game to get bored. Well done ubisoft! Although the passport thing is a huge disappointment, why you have felt the need to limit the possibilities even a little is beyond me.

5.0 out of 5 stars 40+ hours of gameplay and I never got bored, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game, great setting, great atmosphere. The endings are shocking but well worth the ride. This game solves the problems of its predecessor - that is the endlessly spawning enemies and lack of focus. In fact, by the time I had completely finished the first island I was aching to take on the next set of enemies on the second, which is exactly what you want in a first-person shooter. I found the collectibles and side-missions a bit irrelevant, but take them or leave them - the pirate bases and main missions provide more than enough of a challenge on their own. Definitely the best of this very loose trilogy and a great game in its own right.

Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) by Ubisoft (Xbox 360)
18.99