Far Cry 3 (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation3Edition: StandardChange
Price:£10.78+Free shipping

on 15 February 2013
I was apprehensive to get this, I'd never got FC before. Honestly I'm so glad I did though, it's completely captivated me. It's without a doubt the best open world FPS out there and in my top 5 games ever!

Graphics are nice, but limited by current console hardware. The world is only rendered within a 1/2 mile radius of your character, the rest and the background is blurry.

Other than that, it's just stunning. There's simply SO much to do!
- The story is brilliant so far and I've never played such a large single player game that remains so addictive! (Unlike GTA which gets boring after a while)

- hunting and gathering in different areas for different things (pigs one area, komodo dragons another)around the island to create different items (e.g. Larger ammo or gun holster) is simply genius, creating so many of your own mini quests to go and get 3 boar hides or 2 shark skins to get that extra gun slot you want.

- then there's all the small side quests throughout the island. E.g. Races, supply drops, mercenary hitman missions etc etc.

- The map is HUGE and is revealed by climbing and activating radio towers dotted around the map. Similar to Assassin Creed's eagle viewpoints.

- the most fun for me so far is the pirate bases. These are enemy base camps that vary in size and population. You stake them out and plan your attack. You can do it stealthy and challenge yourself not to alert anyone, or go in guns blazing, explosions everywhere!
Each camp has an alarm that can be activated by the pirates if the s*** hits the fan, then more pirates will arrive. I personally LOVE the challenge of planning a stealthy attack. And each camp is designed uniquely with this gameplay in mind.
Once you take a base, it be becomes your base to buy guns from, fast track to etc..
A LOT of fun, and there are over 30 of them!

Even after all of that there's still co-op and multiplayer to explore. Not to mention the awesome map editor, allowing your own imagination to go wild and create whatever you want.

Truly amazing game, the environment is just awesome, with so many hilarious adventures to have. A must buy for anyone looking for an open, content rich game with hundreds hours gameplay. The hours literally fly by in no time while playing, there's simply so much fun to be had! Buy it!

P.s. I got my copy for only £16 off eBay 2nd hand! There's lots of cheap copy's going from people that have finished the game. However, make sure you buy one with an online code that has NOT been activated. Otherwise you will have to buy a new code if you wish to access online multiplayer or co-op. (unless SP is all you're interested in)
on 24 December 2012
This has to be one of the best open world FPS games ever made (GTA, Just Cause etc are TPS).

The environment that they have created is exceptional - the flora and fauna really turn it into an engaging and believable tropical island. Considering the amount of vegetation being drawn at any one moment, the draw distance and frame rate are superb for a PS3 game. I can't think of an openworld game on PS3 that runs better, considering how much is on screen.

The AI of both the pirates and the animals is also very good, clearing a pirate outpost with stealth alone is a real challenge. Completing everything the game has to offer could easily swallow up 100 hours of your time. Collecting memory cards, relics, WW2 letters, Rakyat missions, vehicle time trials, bird shooting, poker, knife throwing, main missions, radio towers etc - the amount of content is huge. The RPG elements such as building your skills via a tatoo and creafting syringes (powerups) and bags (ammo and loot) really gives an FPS a bit of depth. The main missions, 38 in total offer up some interesting story and character elements and also unlock your skills - although they are a little bit too drug induced for my liking. You'll also love the first time you get pounced on by a tiger, shark or croc - I nearly jumped out of my skin !!

It's not perfect - I would have liked to have seen a greater variety of vehicles, maybe planes, tanks and helicopters to add to the hang gliders. Also, a return of the mortar from AC2 - or even air strikes or artillery would have added a bit to the game.

Overall though, it's easily one of the best openworld games out there. As for the comments below - the only time that you are restricted or on rails is during a main mission - the rest of the time you are free to roam and hunt as you please.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 January 2013
Brilliant game.
The acting is top notch, really believable. Graphics are stunning. Multiplayer great fun. Great single player.
I really have nothing bad to say about this game but i will focus on the title for now as everything else is pretty much covered.

The story mode is downright awesome. But aside from this here is a list of things that keep you wanting to play afterwards.

Items to collect:
there are many things to collect on your journeys, relics, memory cards and information. You have a handbook that updates wildlife everytime you hunt one of them and there is a huge list for animals to discover, im still finding some now.

things to do:
There are also checkpoints, if you've played San Andreas it works in a similar way. Area's are patrolled by the enemy or you/allies. To conquer a checkpoint you must kill everyone inside. You can do this in a number of ways. Taking out the alarms first then go in guns blazing/ go in guns blazing trip the alarms and fight off reinforcements who may arrive with machine gun mounted vehicles/ kill everyone stealhily/ take out alarms stealth kill some shoot the rest etc.
Max out your skills/Tattau/Tattoo. You have a tattoo on your arm that gives you skills to unlock every time you level up. A new section of a tattoo will give you different skills of your choosing such as takedowns, hunting, gathering, and many more.
Radio towers: By disabling radio towers you unscramble your map allowing you to see everything around the tower on your map, it also unlocks weapons to be bought for free at the store. but this is something you do during the main story just because missions will take you nearby and you get sidetracked to reveal the map.

Multiplayer:
Really enjoyable, being able to humiliate or praise your enemy is an awesome touch, unlockables a plenty this mode is sure to entertain for hours and hours.
I havent spent too much time here though as the main campaign has kept me more than entertained, i've only played the multiplayer when i've been short on time and fancied a quick match.

I reckon i will play this more than i did skyrim, which i thouroughy enjoyed.
on 4 February 2013
This is potentially the best game I've bought/played in the last few years. The environment is lush but varied, wildlife and environmental effects have a big impact on the way you approach any mission or journey.

The "collect" trophies are more enjoyable in this title that in any other I've played. Most games have something like "find 10 hidden rings" or similar that seem to have no bearing on the actual game, not so in far cry 3, gathering up the "letters of the lost" that gradually tell the story of the Japanese involvement with the island, likewise the "memory card" collecting. Each and every part of the game has great design and mapping for the quests. My particular favourite was liberating outposts, you can do this by going in all guns blazing or by taking out their alarm systems and picking them off one at a time using stealth kills and distraction.

Online is decent but could do with a little tweaking to make it more accessible.

My only gripe for this game is that sometimes (mostly when swimming underwater) when exploring you can become disorientated and often drown as you don't know if you're swimming further underwater/into the cave or heading back to the surface. I got round this by "fast travelling" if I thought I was going to drown.

At the new knockdown price you can't afford to be without this in your collection.

9.5/10
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 April 2013
I give 5 stars because the game IS fun, but it's far from perfect. The main gameplay can be perfectly described as Just Cause 2 as a FPS. It also has the same main defect: it is quite repetitive.
The second game that comes to mind is Skyrim, because of some RPG action and the stealth vs brute force approach, but it's nowhere near the vastity and storytelling of the Bethesda game.
Finally, the main story, which is great in its development and didn't disappoint me.
The impression I got from the game is that they tried to put together too many different game types creating a geat game overall, but without finishing to polish it, so none of the aspects get deep enough. Even if I enjoyed the game very much I kept asking myself: why they didn't do this better? Why the caves aren't bigger so that they become. A sort of dungeon, each with its own story like in Skyrim? Why are the mini games always the same, go there and kill the guy with a knife? Why the herbs are so clearly indicated on the map? Why go hunting if after 2/3 kills I have every skin I'll ever need in the game?
on 2 January 2013
I bought this on the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed.

It is a very good, fun game with plenty of challenges and side quests outside the main mission and a huge area to explore. The graphics and details are brilliant and the wildlife around the islands will keep you on your toes...lookout for the bears! :| Other reviewers have commented on the lack of variety of guns/vehicles but I feel that there are enough of each for the game to be believable - too wide a variety would feel less realistic.

And just a note on why the game got 4 stars and not 5, if you start a mission and then fail it will reset to the start of the mission - I'd inadvertently started a mission, gone to explore a different area and then the mission "failed" and reset my progress to the start of the mission. I then had to complete the mission before being allowed to carry on exploring. Very annoying.

Apart from that though the game is great.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 February 2014
I bought this as it was cheap and had good reviews....and I'm so glad I did! It's brilliant! I got about the same amount of joy playing this as I did Red Dead Redemption.

The amount of free roaming is amazing...there appears to be very few places you can't go! You can traverse the islands on foot or by car/quad/buggy but my favourite mode of transport was the hang glider. These were dotted about the islands, up on the hills and mountains (for obvious reasons). They got you where you wanted to go (most of the time...sometimes they faceplanted you into a cliff), in the least amount of time and gave you a chance to take stock of your circumstances, whilst checking out your cool tatt and your arm hair blowing gently in the breeze. Later on, you get the added bonus of a wingsuit/parachute to get you out of trouble when you accidentally let go of the hang glider.

You can either buy weapons, or get them for 'free' by deactivating radio towers. Once I'd got the sniper rifles, I pretty much stuck with them for the rest of the game, as trying to hit anything with any degree of accuracy with a machine gun has never been my forte (I pretty much just spray the surrounding area with bullets and hope at least one hits the target before I run out of ammo). With a good sniper rifle in hand, I just settled in a bush up on a hill and took the enemy out from a distance....which worked well until they spotted me and got the helicopters in! Ho hum!

There's plenty of opportunity to go 'off plot' and do your own thing for a while...go all 'hunter/gatherer' and shoot/pick stuff. There's certainly enough wildlife to shoot, although I did wonder how Cassowaries, leopards, tigers, brown bears and komodo dragons all happened to get onto the same island! Probably the same way the polar bear got onto the island in Lost, I suppose!? There are also other challenges you can do to help the local population, such as beating the cr@p out of a cheating husband. Picking herbs allows you to brew concoctions into an injection. Once you've 'jacked up', your senses are enhanced and you are able to hunt/kill/swim better for a short period of time. I had my favourites and didn't bother with the rest as it was time consuming collecting the right herbs.

It's not easy getting money to upgrade your weapon holsters etc. but you get there in the end, and it makes the game more of a challenge, in my opinion!

There are 2 different endings, based on your final choice. As I didn't save it prior to the end sequence, I'd have had to play quite a bit of it again to play the alternative ending. I watched someone else do it on UTube instead!

I think the only con I had with the game was the controls. L3 to run was annoying.
on 31 May 2013
Having played Far Cry 2 to death.Far Cry 2 - Platinum Edition (PS3) I expected to master this quite easily, how wrong I was. You travel around the island for ages and then you die and go back to the start, which is quite frustrating. The vehicles are a mixed bag too, the hang glider is now much easier to fly as are the various water craft,but the cars, quads and trucks can be tricky at first especially on some of the smaller roads. The addition of the wild life is a huge improvement with crocodiles,snakes tigers,sharks and others, too many to mention,but they can be a nuisance especially when you have fought for an age to make progress only to be sent to your doom by a sneak attack by some crafty critter.It's not all bad though because they attack the bad guys too which can be a huge help if you get your strategy right when attacking enemy bases and the like. It's early doors yet and hopefully I'll learn how to master it but up to now I am on the verge of throwing the PS3 through the window.
O.k. three weeks have now past and forget what I said earlier......I am loving this game.I can't put it down, the wifes going postal cause she can't watch corrie in the living room because I'm running round (a virtual world)trying to beat a very tricky very,large and absorbing game. The weaponry available to me and the fact that I've now sussed out how to tackle each event has made this a fantastic game.This is one you are going to be playing for ages due to the way the story develops, plus all the other sub games which emerge the more you play. My advice, activate those control towers as quickly as possible and master the crafting of syringes if you want to progress in this game, you are in for a treat.
on 28 December 2012
I had great excitement and anticipation when I heard about this game back in February, a beautiful and tropical island setting was the playground for mass destruction and chaos while been thrown in to a wild, variety of fascinating characters looked just stunning... As the year pushed further, we got more and more details including conformation of a multilayer and separate Co-op campaign component as well as the Role Playing elements, and now I finally got to dig myself into the game...
The story of the game involves a young man named Jason Brody and his wild friends who attend a thrill seeking vacation, they get thrown get thrown into sky-diving onto the Fictional Rook Islands which are beautiful, lush Islands somewhere in the Asian Pacific, unfortunately however, the Islands are under the rule of evil pirates under the command of a man named Vaas... Jason and his friends and family are scattered across the Island, lost and sold to slavery. So Jason winds up to get help from the locals to become a warrior and save his friends.
The story isn't unique at a glance but it is told well with some interesting characters such as Vaas, Buck, and Dennis. Most of the characters are excellent, especially the games villains who throw down an great performance yet Jason, and his friends and family are so annoying, and act like stupid teenagers!
The game is a first person shooter with role playing elements, Jason will level up and unlock more ability's such as take-downs and extra health slots, you are able to explore this huge and dense jungle and its ripe with things to do, want to hunt animals to increase weapon and ammo holsters, Check... Long, Interesting single player campaign, Check... Side diversions such as poker and racing, Check.
This game is just huge, lush and beautiful as graphics are oozing with detail from lush foliage to the great animations, it really is a site to behold. Another unique feature is the hunting system, there are over 40 different animals from predator animals to herbivores and they will hunt one another, your enemy and even the locals! There is so much in Far Cry, it is too much to talk about, just buy it! It is great fun and satisfying and the on-line multilayer is even worth checking out!
on 23 July 2013
When Far Cry 3 was first released, I did not rush to buy it. Having never played the previous installment, and generally just being unwilling to shell out £40 for a game, I put of buying it for a long time. Eventually the price came down to nearly half the original amount, and I decided to take the plunge and see what all the fuss was about.

I must admit, it wasn't love at first play. Although I was impressed by the sheer scale of the environments, and the numerous side missions, it took me weeks to become truly immersed in the vastness of the game. But once I did, I was hooked.

The endless hours of fun I have had from this game is amazing. You can either follow the storyline and focus on the main missions, or you can become lost in the huge world that FC has to offer.

I had my own little routine on a Friday night for the longest time; a nice cold bottle of pinot grigio, Royksopp's 'Melody am' in the CD player, and a few solid hours of Far Cry 3. Now whenever I taste pinot or hear 'Poor Leno', I immediately have images of running through the jungle with my AK blazing, or stalking a wild pig, or soaring above the trees on a hang-glider.

One of my favorite games of all time, highly recommended!