5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory viewing for every parent
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by misschord

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful to some extent
Very useful to see how to correctly do the head wobbling - not sure we'd have got it right otherwise - but it's quite short and very repetitive. I found the book more useful, however for our baby the head wobbling was vital and the DVD showed it very clearly.
Published 8 months ago by Beth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory viewing for every parent, 18 Dec 2009
misschord (Helmsley, York) - See all my reviews
I bought a few books in preparation for the birth of my baby, but only bought this DVD about two weeks after he was born. I wish I'd watched it before the birth as it would have helped me through thtat first night in hospital when he was screaming the ward down and keeping everyone awake! Rather than the unhelpful phrase "comfort your baby", it actually teaches you some techniques to be able to do this. Focusing on the first three months of life, it gives some helpful suggestions about things to try to stop your baby crying, explains what is going on in your little one's head when he cries, and helps you to understand him a bit better. I cannot recommend it highly enough, and have since bought a copy for a friend who is expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars some helpful tips, 26 Sep 2009
I liked this. Dr Karp has a great manner and is easy to watch, you can believe he is a good doctor.. It is also nice to see real parents (complete with messy homes in the background!). I think the methods are really useful, and certainly go a long way to calming a crying baby, although they're obviously not always going to be the answer, eg when you're out and about with no means to swaddle baby. my daughter (5 weeks old) certainly likes the shushing and jiggling in particular. I liked that there was essentially no discussion of childcare theory (as in pushing either for AP or "cry it out" methods, since I've found that authors who prefer one or other method can be a bit hard to stomach in their zeal for it. Loved the FAQ section at the end also. All in all a good buy, and should be compatible with your personal parenting theories.

4.0 out of 5 stars you'll be glad you bought it, 27 May 2010
Until you've had a baby you can't possibly appreciate how hard it is having your little inconsolable in your arms. Double so at 4.00 am. It's hard for you personally and it's heartbreaking to see this little critter so distressed.

Enter Dr Karp (great name).

His logic that a new baby is still. Essentially, foetal, makes a lot of sense. And so does the advice that flows from that.

Of the 5 techniques - swaddling, sucking, jiggling, shushing, side position - all but shushing worked. And I'm sure different babies will all respond to different actions.

The DVD, I should tell you is repetitive. Which is fine. The advice is simple and it's told simply. I'd rather it was repeated than belaboured. And anyway it's still a short DVD.

All the advice is available on the net, but I was glad of the DVD in the early hours - the last thing you want is to be firing up a computer etc. And it's reassuring to double check you're doing the techniques right.

(For the record, I think Dr K's swaddling (as in the way he wraps the blanket) technique is unnecessarily complicated. Simply waddling will do - but having the babies hands by the side does make a difference.)

There's a lot to learn and contend with in the first weeks and months - and you will be tired to a level you never imagined you could cope with. So having a handy reference is great. And you will cope and it will be brilliant. This little DVD might just help you through the occasional tough spot.

Good luck

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful to some extent, 6 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, every parent should view this., 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Happiest Baby on the Block [DVD] (DVD)
These techniques absolutely work. No matter what your beliefs, there is a reason why some techniques have been used for centuries. The swaddling in particular has really calmed my baby and she sleeps better and has grown really well (she was a little underweight at the beginning).
The shooshing is remarkable as well and having the DVD show you the right way to jiggle the baby is helpful. We also sometimes use an app that has the white noise and other white noise type sounds - really convenient, I just turn off the WiFi and stick the iPod into the moses basket. She settles down really well.
Dr Karp claims that you will gain 1-3 hours sleep - this was true for us.
This was recommended by a friend and now I would like to buy this DVD for all my new parent friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help to Any New Parent, 12 Dec 2007
Zibby (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
We found the tips in this DVD extremly helpful. It is amazing how using a few simple methods can calm even the most worked up, screaming baby. I am going to buy it as a present for all my friends who have babies in the future. It's a great gift, the gift of peace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try, 28 Aug 2010
Bought this in desperation as my baby daughter wouldn't stop crying. The techniques in the DVD really do work and I especially liked the way he shows you how to swaddle a baby - this is shown several times in detail making it impossible not to learn how to do it!

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this might be useful if you are really unable to calm your colicky ..., 30 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Happiest Baby on the Block [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this but never actually used the full 'method' as I didn't have a baby swing and didn't want to swaddle my baby. The shushing and rocking/jiggling is something everyone figures out with a baby so it's not necessary to learn how to do it. I think this might be useful if you are really unable to calm your colicky baby, but mine was always fine just being held and breastfed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Happiest Baby on the Block [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant, tips really do work. Highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd known about this before my baby was born, 21 May 2014
This review is from: The Happiest Baby on the Block [DVD] (DVD)
If I'd known about 'The Happiest baby on the block' before my daughter was born (7 weeks ago) it would have saved me a lot of heartache.
it does 2 invaluable things -
• Gives you several tricks up your sleeve to soothe your inconsolable crying baby
• Makes you realise you're not a failure as a mother

Dr Karp knows his stuff.
His theory is that when our babas are born, they're not yet ready. He says we should think of those first 3months as our 4th trimester and we should be doing everything to recreate the feeling of the womb to comfort our babies when they cry. Makes perfect sense... Swaddling works wonders, as does shushing....Dummies have their place (although I didn't introduce one till after 4wks when breastfeeding was well established) Some of the others take more practice, but watching this paediatrician take a baby from screaming its lungs out to chilling out & almost passing out in a matter of seconds is wonderful.

Dr Karp is such a delight. The Robin Williams of the medical world.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›