on 1 December 2012
This is the third book in this series that I have read in the last fortnight (with a couple of other books in between to change the pace).

It is much like the other two -lovely descriptions of the scenery around St Andrews, Andy Gilchrist's difficult relationship with his adult children - his wife died in the last book - and of course a murder, with Gilchrist suspended once again. This also happened in a previous book when he was under a different superior officer.

The difference this time is that the body is 35 years old and his brother, killed about the same time in a hit and run car accident, is the chief suspect, as his tooth and cigarette lighter are found in the grave with the body (yes, grave- the body was hidden in a grave 35 years before, and only discovered when the wife of the legal owner of the grave dies and the grave is reopened).

Other reviewers have given good synopses of the story so I won't tell it again, but will just add a couple of thoughts.
I did wonder what the purpose of the clairvoyant American really was? She was supposedly writing a book about Andy and his work -to which he reluctantly agrees (why??) - but apart from being used in the lighter storyline, she served no obvious use in the story and was a waste of space.

Secondly, I think Andy came from the same planet as Superman!! In each book he has ended up in hospital with injuries that would have had a lesser man off duty for weeks, and in this one he had several such mishaps. The main ones -being trapped in a locked garage that was set on fire with 2 Molotv cocktails. He not only kicks his way out in the pitch dark but rescuses the other man trapped (who received serious burns and whose condition was critical for some time) but he is immediately back to his own personal investigations - after coughing up gobs of black phlegm - seeing as he is officially suspended from the main investigation into the body in the grave.

Next, he is trapped in a car boot, naked ,hog-tied, gagged and woozy from a blow to his head. Of course Super-Andy frees himself and then in the final struggle, breaks his wrist and injures his shoulder (and lots of lesser injuries) yet, after a shower (and another gob of that black phlegm), he is back banging on the door of a major suspect who he eventually arrests, after a struggle.

Anyone else would not be able to even knock on the door, let alone arrest the man!

I had to suspend belief many times during the course of this book, even more than the others, but in spite of the cartoon-like scenarios, I enjoyed the read as it was well written and so,so predictable! I used to enjoy suspense when I was younger, but now 'predictable' suits me fine.

I look forward to more in the series. I liked the first one, An eye for and Eye, the best. Andy's mannerisms become more pronounced and a bit irritating (eg running his hand through is hair, and rubbing his eyes with a thumb and forefinger)as the books progress.

I recommend it for those who don't take books like this seriously and the general outcome is easy to guess (though I didn't guess one of the killers until near the end). It is not for those who like the real suspense/chrime thriller type books. It reads a bit like an comic for grown-ups!!
on 25 May 2013
I bought 3 DCI Gilchrist novels as part of a special deal for 99p each. I took a risk as I use the daily deal to discover new authors for the cost of a daily newspaper.
I loved the first two novels and looked forward to this one although I try to read several other varied novels in between for variety.
This one did not disappoint as I felt I could now relate to Gilchrists character a bit more now knowing his history and the baggage he carries. It is well written and carries the reader forward wanting to know what actually happened to this murdered girl 35 years ago. The detective work is good and realistic....as is the development of science over the years re DNA etc.
I agree with some other reviewers that some things are not quite right. Gilchrist does seem superhuman at times with his ability to survive horrendous beatings, murder attempts etc and continue going to work despite the odd ache or pain.....and if his fellow officers are as bad as he makes out....who needs enemies!
Also I agree with another reviewer who suggested that the glamorous American lady with clairvoyant abilities who pursues Gilchrist is also superfluous to the story....her abilities and connection to what is found with the body are tenuous to say the least and seems a bit of a cheap detective link.
Having said that...I enjoyed my third encounter with DCI Andy Gilchrist although not quite as good as the two previous novels.
Next time perhaps?
on 2 November 2013
When I read this I had not realised that this was the third in the series and perhaps if I had read the other two first then this would have worked better for me. The story start off well with DI Gilchrist investigating the discovery of an old skeleton and in doing so finding links to his own past. As the story progresses Gilchrist seems to spend more time on his own investigation, and any idea of a structure Police investigation / processes seems to disappear from the picture. There was some character development through his relationship to his children and past partners but having not read the previous two books some of the background was unclear to me. The antipathy of one of his colleagues (perhaps explained in previous books?) seem to come out of nowhere and both their behaviours seemed to lose plausibility. As the book progressed I began to lose track of the characters who were involved in events preceding the original crime and discovery of the real villain had little impact. I kept reading to the end but this was not one of the better crime stories that I have read. Based on other reviews I may still give the other two a go though,
on 7 January 2013
I don't think so. This series aims to do for St Andrews what Rankine did for Edinburgh but it has some serious shortcomings in that respect. As crime novels go this one (the third in the series) was fairly good, but each one gets a bit more far fetched, so "An Eye for an Eye" worked okay as a concept, "A Hand for a Hand" stretched the metaphor of the title a bit too much, and this one had an even more tenuous link. The characterisation was a bit thin. Gilchrist is tall, slim and a bit too good looking for a rogue cop and his family history is a bit too predictable (divorced, two kids he hardly knows). Having said that, there were some nice touches in fleshing out the character and giving him a bit of depth. However, the main thing that bothered me was the writing which is not great and there were some basic mistakes which spoiled it a bit. For instance, the author refers to a herring gull as a heron gull and while it's only a minor incidental fact, it just seems to be evidence of sloppiness that is irritating.

I did enjoy the series, but Muir, on this showing at any rate, is no Rankine.
on 14 November 2012
I loved this story - I too bought it early on Amazon Kindle and ended up with the Star Wars story. Amazon were very helpful and refunded, but the wait for the revised Kindle version was going to take too long. I decided to bite the bullet and order a paperback - I was not disappointed!
DI Gilchrist is a very likeable and interesting character although he does seem to get in to more than his fair share of scrapes. This book will not disappoint (if you get the right version - I am sure Amazon have fixed it now). Poor DI Gilchrist - his brother appears to be implicated in an old murder and Gilchrist has to bend a few rules to get to the bottom of it all - the question is does he or doesn't he 'get the baddie?'. I love Frank's writing - he is from my home town in Glasgow and I nearly fell off my seat when I read my unusual family name in the book - a stroke of genius Frank, well done! I can't wait for the next one.
on 21 November 2012
The Gilchrist novels have been a real discovery for me and I have read all three in quick succession. F. Muir is a superb writer who creates real tension and a sense of mounting horror throughout building to a great final climax. Gilchrist has a touch of the clairvoyant about him, often sensing a coming situation seemingly with little evidence to go on. In this novel he is contacted by a genuine clairvoyant who wants to write about him. Once again a current case ties back into Gilchrist's own past and family and once again he finds himself working alone outside the remit of the police team faced with the hostility of other officers. I enjoyed the story immensely and now I can't wait for the next one.
on 10 March 2014
I have now read books 1,2,& 3 and I feel that this detective is up there with Peter Pascoe, George Gently and Alan Banks. I was not expecting this as having bought the books on an amazon cheap offer I thought they would be not worth much. I was so wrong I didn't work out the plot or who had done what and certainly in the first book never had a clue. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith at how he has deduced the links but this is explained away by his "gut" instinct. it does not in my mind detract from the story. I read 1,2 & 3 back to back and enjoyed each moment even though on occasion they got a tad grisly. The writing flows and is a comfortable read.
on 26 July 2013
I really enjoyed the first two books by T F Muir, so I couldn't wait for this one. But sadly I was really dissapointed. Firstly, though Gilchrist has always been portrayed as a maverick, in Tooth for a Tooth he has just become one of those over the top Hollywood style cops pushing the law over the edge. A character which I can no longer believe in or respect. Secondly as the book goes on the story jumps from one implausible plot twist to the next in escalating craziness which just pushed my suspended belief too far. Its a real shame because as I said the first two were great. I can only hope that the next book is back on form.
on 16 January 2013
I'm surprised DCI Andy Gilchrist is still alive, no not from the criminals, the knives in his back from his own colleagues.
If I mention the word 'Suspension', would you be surprised.
TF Muir has created a terrific character in Gilchrist and this being the third in the trilogy has just got better, even though I didn't think it possible.
It will take more than the likes of Tosh to finish him off, his liver is still taking a battering (occupational hazard!).
I'd recommend the whole trilogy to readers of crime thrillers or anyone else to be honest.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
I sincerely hope this 3rd book is followed by a 4th and 5th......etc. The only thing that worries me is Gilchrist's drinking habits!! Almost worse than Rebus!