Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 9 November 2012
I like a good police procedural crime story based in the UK, and that is exactly what this is, but so much more. An interesting lead character, with a good supporting cast of cops, villains, low-lifes, arrogant bosses and nice old ladies. St Andrews comes across as a character in its own right, I could really visualise each location, each nicely kept house and each revolting bed-sit! There is not too much stress on the procedure but lots of character-driven plot. I look forward to reading the next two in the series.
on 4 March 2015
In a word--No! An unpleasant tale, brimful of gutter language. As I mentioned in a previous assessment of another author's book, I'm no angel and heard far worse in my service days--you learn quickly in a barrack room. As an avid reader these days I seek entertainment, the imagery of well chosen words and a background that has an appeal in that I want to read more. Mr Muir, I regret, doesn't manage that, though I accept readily his hard work, research and ambition.
on 10 November 2013
A good old fashioned detective story - OK more sexual references than you'd get in an Agatha Christie but no more than the story required. The hero is a suspended detective inspector suffering from a surfeit of guilt in early middle age, but this fact allows him to dig around unofficially and eventually get to the truth and at the same time save his career. I suspect that he will always be working on his own in some way in the books that follow......
on 9 October 2014
A first novel which starts a series with a bang and some genuine detection but also an awful lot of hunches and gut reactions. Needs to calm down in future books as there is almost too much plot but I suppose that means different characters in the next one! Unfortunately it gives the impression that St Andrews is the Scots version of Midsummer Murders and thus not a patch on Rebus and Edinburgh or Lorimer in Glasgow.
on 18 November 2013
This book is set in St Andrews, Scotland and DI GIlchrist is a typical Scottish Bobby! He is on the trail of a serial killer who is somewhat of a vigilante as the victims all subject their wives to abuse. The plot takes many twists and turns and the ending is not what you expect. If you know St Andrewss you can picture the scenes and that makes it all very real.
Enjoy the book . I am now reading his 3rd one!
on 2 December 2012
OK - I bought this cos it was Kindle Daily Deal and having been born in St Andrews (now residing in Ireland) I thought it would be nice to read a novel set there ......

But - was surprised and delighted by the book. Super construction, fascinating characters and pithy Scottish humour in the dialogue.

I will definitely read the others in the series.
on 21 May 2015
As first novel I thought this was more than acceptable, the location is not a crime spot, and the police procedures are all over the place. Nothing unusual in that in Crime fiction. The plot holds together, though one can work it out long before the end. Certainly as good as most crime fiction, and I look forward to reading more
on 17 June 2014
First that I have read by TF Muir and have now purchased A Tooth for a Tooth. I like the main character Andy Gilchrist and he had the description of St Andrews down to a tee. The pace is quite subdued but there many twists and turns. sufficient to keep turning pages. On the whole a nice easy read that keeps the interest going!
on 2 May 2013
Well written story of DI Glichrist, who comes over as a character with flaws that make him sound human.
Lots of action going on and lots of characters, which at times are confusing, trying to remember who was who and how they were related.
Read it in a very short time and now going to read other DI Gilchrist stories.
on 4 June 2013
but I had some trouble believing the story in patches ... a few too many coincidences and out-of-the-ordinary occurrences in my opinion. Overall I enjoyed the read, but was left slightly unsatisfied by these.

I'm planning to read another one from TF Muir to see if the stories are maturing as the series progresses.